1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Rockets Duo Ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Obito, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Patience

Patience Member

Agreed. And don't forget Dream missed a significant amount of games in the second half of that year with heart arrythmia. Clyde carried the Rockets into the playoffs, and they were still only a 6 seed.

2. Patience

Patience Member

[​IMG]

How about these guys?

That said, I still believe the Barkley trade was the right thing to do at the time.

3. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Guys I really wish you would lay it off on Barkley. He gave it all here. Trio just didn't mesh. Meaning trio with Glide of course.
    Back to the topic.. ..it's Hakeem and my nick-holder, of course.

4. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

I agree the barkley trade was a good move at that time. Dream had already played in NBA for over a decade by that time so it was not very hard to imagine Dream wouldn't have too much good time to play, Sam and Robert were fueling the rockets though they're still rather immature and young at that time. But those two guys' primes were still in the later 2-3 seasons, which was too long a time for dream to wait. To make a gamble for the third championship, it's reasonable to trade two young guys for a superstar who was contemporary to dream and had a huge thirst for a ring. that trade is just like the two trades the celtics made last summer, they lost tons of young talents in exchange for two veteran superstars and they managed to win the championship, which makes their trades look better than the barkley trade. in fact, those 3 trades are just the same kind of trade driven by the same motive, the only difference is we lost the gamble while the celtics won it.

5. Patience

Patience Member

I meant no offense to Barkley at all. He played hard and played well in his time with the Rockets, and helped lead them to the WC finals. Not to mention they haven't been close to that good since.

The Rockets made a good trade, I was just strolling down memory lane appreciating how much fun Horry and Cassell were to watch back then! :D

6. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

both sam and robert each have got their rings outside houston, which is very enough to prove they're not bandwagoners but real contenders, especially horry who has got 7 rings in total. each of them has a perfect career, congrats them.

7. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Yeah man!
    It's 2 in the morning here in EU. I'm going to sleep and I just had a vivid flashback to Hakeem era. I' m kind of delirious right now. I remember listening aired games at 3am - over modem connection through the links provided by clutch. Some german sports channel televised games twice a week.
    Luckly, Rockets were somehow favored here in Europe. I think they were right behind Bulls in broadcastings..

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PPPFFFTTTT!!!

The Barkley Trade destroyed our Franchise
    WORSE TRADE EVER!

I think Sam put it best. . . If they would have just Signed Willis
    and left the team intact . .. they would have been ok

Rocket River

9. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

That's one of the dumbest posts I've seen here. Destroyed our franchise? More like poor signings, poor allocation or resources, and poor draft picks destroying our franchise. I guess you were satisfied with us getting our ass kicked by the Sonics every year.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

Run and gun? I wish it had been.

It also wasn't very 'fun to watch', unfortunately.

Both were great guys, but it was very, very frustrating.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BARKLEY TRADE =
    Loss of Horry and Cassell
    He Brings in SNOTTY PIPPEN . . *HIS* boy . . .
    Which Ties up alot of Cap money and Forces a trade that nets us
    Kelvin Cato, Walt Williams and Various other FLOTSAM for years

Better to get our asses kicked by the Sonics. . .than the fricking Jazz
    Cause Barkley half *ssing it through a frickin screen
    *****ty B*tching dribbling the ball off his foot with the lakers

but of course
    that is *not* the result of Barkley Trade . .. . . .yea Right

Rocket River

12. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I didn't realize Barkley was the GM of the Rockets when we acquired Pippen. Barkley half-assing it through a screen? I thought it was more about Drexler getting bear hugged by Malone that caused Stockton to get open.

Barkley trade was mission accomplished, as we excorsized our demons against Seattle. Too bad it didn't work out against Utah. Either way, that Barkley trade has to be made every time. Just like when the Astros got Randy Johnson.

13. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

That's exactly what I wanted to say...