1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Rockets Duo Ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Obito, Apr 2, 2009.

1. famicom

famicom Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No one can ever really know what might have happened, but Tinman didn't pull that out of his hat. There were countless articles in the national media about "the new dynasty" that were the Houston Rockets with the Twin Towers. We were seen as the logical successors to the Celtics and the Lakers, with the future looking limitless for the next 8-10 years. And if we'd have the same team for the Finals that we had starting the season, we might have won that series. The missing component? John Lucas II. Here's a paragraph from Answers.com...

Lucas's moment of reckoning came on March 11, 1986. He was still a force in the NBA, averaging 15.5 points and 8.8 assists per game, but he began missing practices again and showed other signs of escalating drug use. Following a game against the Boston Celtics, Lucas spent the night in downtown Houston wearing a designer suit, five pairs of sweat socks, and a pair of sunglasses. After drinking and taking cocaine all night he blacked out and missed a team practice. Finally, after twelve hours on the street, he returned to his worried family. The following day he was released from the Rockets after a drug test they ordered came back positive for cocaine.

http://www.answers.com/topic/john-lucas-1

Lucas was one of the top points in the league when he wasn't stoned to the gills, ranking near the top in the league in assists on several occasions. That the Rockets were able to advance to the Finals and take Boston to 6 games with a hobbled second stringer (Allen Leavell) and a SF, Robert Reid (who did an amazing job for a guy playing completely out of position) at the point was, with a very young team, nothing short of amazing, against a team that is arguably the best to ever lace them up and step on the court. We were the future. Sadly, the future blew up with the White Powder and the injury to Ralph that cut short a career that might have led to the Hall of Fame.

It still bums me out when I think about it. Watching that team play was an absolute gas.

3. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to pull up Jordan's name. What happened to Jordan in the 80s?
    He couldn't beat Detroit and Boston. He eventually did right?

Also, since we're throwing down different eras. Let's say the Tmac and Yao era.

Tmac/Yao should have won a championship. bad argument because they NEVER beat a defending champion or got out of the first round.

The Lakers and Celtics were both the dominant forces of the 80s. You can google the history. The Lakers were good enough to beat the Celtics vice Versa.

That Rockets duo BEAT the defending champions. Oh, and Ralph Sampson got hurt IN THE NBA FINALS.

This is an easy argument because the Celtics were beatable and the Lakers proved that in the 80s. And we beat the Lakers with no excuses, no injured players on their side etc etc.

Look at this cover:
    [​IMG]

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

Wish I could find the Sporting News article about the "impending" Rockets dynasty after the 86 Finals. Great article.

Just an amazing team. Could beat you in so many ways. Played tough with 2 of the greatest teams to ever grace the hardwood.

5. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Since the newer fans never saw that duo play, you can compare that duo to

Robinson and Duncan as the spurs frontline.

Or if they've seen Dream play but not Ralph, its Dream plus Kevin Garnett.

6. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

hahahah too true

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Just tell people to get the Dream DVD and look for the taller guy wearing number 50.

Also it was not just KG, it was a 7'2" KG. Or hell who even knows. Heights are so freakin bogus.

8. FariyadTheKing

i would have to say hakeem and clyde. i mean thats a no brainer. but this picture of akeem and ralph is amazing! why have i never seen this?

9. FariyadTheKing

please clue me in........is that moon as in oilers moon?

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I agree that a healthy T-Mac with a healthy Yao could have done (maybe could still do?) some very special things had they had anywhere close to the kind of supporting cast they would have had now.

... But you know what they say about ifs and buts.

Gotta go with Hakeem/Clyde, but you could make the case for a couple Hakeem/X combos, I guess.

11. Super Von

Super Von Member

Michael Dickerson and Cuttino Mobley.

12. Two Sandwiches

Thank you.

I was starting to question myself...

13. T_Man

T_Man Member

Hey Tinman.. Don't forget about John Lucas with Lloyd and Wiggins...

Man the team died when all of them got busted in the same year..

14. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Though not the best duo ever...

[​IMG][​IMG]

But they deserve a mention.

15. Obito

Obito Member

They do indeed.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

This is not even a debate please

clearly:

[​IMG]

17. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I would have to say that Hakeem and Ralph would be #1, but I think everyone is forgetting Otis Thorpe and Hakeem. I don't know if they beat out Clyde and Hakeem, but In my mind they beat out SF3 and Yao.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Brooks and Barbosa 2010 :D

Honestly those two would be sick together.

I don't understand how anyone could not close this thread already, hands down Dream and Clyde. How is this even a discussion?!

19. magnetik

magnetik Member

since most of these combos only played a couple years together..

I really liked the 04-05 Yao/Tmac and how can you argue with Clyde/Hakeem but I remember seeing a healthy Sampson and Hakeem live and to watch Sampson playing pf at 7'4" and Hakeem playing center was amazing. They were unstoppable. Yeah too bad all the bad luck with Ralph, drug issues with the team, and playing arguably the best Celtic team of all time and still taking them to 6 games.

Landry / Scola has been a great combo to watch so far but it will take some years to get at the level of the others.

20. cheshire

cheshire Member

How about Dream and Robert Horry?

Horry was the best low post entry passer in the Rockets team.

Horry made teams pay for double-teaming Hakeem e.g. game clinching 3 pt shot against the Magic in game 3.

Horry said Hakeem was the best after playing with him, Shaq and Timmy.

Having Hakeem anchor the middle allowed the Rockets to play Horry as a PF during the 95 championship run.

Having Horry play PF, allowed Hakeem room to operate.

Win win combination if you ask me. :D