1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Possible Trade = Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by utcarbs, Feb 25, 2011.

1. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I, as many do on this board, are underwhelmed by the trade deadline deals that the Morey pulled off. I know there’s various good/bad trade deadline threads on the response to yesterday’s trades but what if Morey had made the best available trade? Would we be closer to contention? A better future?

I believe the two best available trades would have either put us in contention or tank mode.

Let’s assume Morey went for Kevin Martin type trade this year and made the following best possible trade based on yesterday’s deadline. I assume better players might have been available but I am basing this on who actually moved.

Best possible Roster after Trade:

Kyle Lowry / Nate
    Kevin Martin / Courtney Lee
    Gerald Wallace / Bud
    Luis Scola / Patterson
    Kevin Perkins /Hayes Miller

Let’s assume these deals (don’t be especially picky with matching money and picks)

Houston: Battier, Brooks, Hill/picks/w/e makes money work
    Boston: Perkins, Nate

Houston: Jefferies, Terrence Williams, Picks/Hill/Smith/Money
    Charlotte: Gerald Wallace

Would this roster be enough to compete this year? Next year?

I think this roster would be incredibly balanced with offense and defense. I feel this approach would be closer to the Detroit Pistons model for competition. How would you guys have felt about this trade?

However at the end of the day, I don’t feel this roster will put us closer to winning championships. I believe that drafting is a better approach than hoping disgruntled stars get traded here. We know superstars don’t want to come to Houston. Who will we sign in 2012 that we can build around?

I would have liked Morey to make up his mind. This trade deadline should have defined our next few years. We’re still stuck as a fringe playoff team.

2. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I really dont think Morey...even if he was high or drunk of his @$$, made this deal for THABEET or DRAGIC.

I think he mainly did it for the picks those two players came with. Memphis first rounder is a 2013 pick, and the Suns pick is non-lottery.

We'll have 2 first round picks in this year's draft - ours + the Suns/Magic.

With that said... i still think we have players that other teams may covet (Scola, Martin, Lee, etc) come draft time, and we can possibly package the additional picks for the marquee player OR package a player or 2, with the picks for a top 5 picks.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'm sorry but how is giving up 2 1st rounders and taking on an 11mil per year contract for an average starter like portland did for wallace the best possible deal??????

it will end us getting young talent in the draft and signing a good FA

4. crocktees

crocktees Member

Not sure the Wallace would have happened, but def. agree about Perkins.
    Unless Ainge has some kind of hardon for Jeff Green, Perkins was out there to
    be had. Regardless of his injuries, he is exactly the kind of post precense
    the Rockets have been looking for, tough on D and does his job. No comparison
    to Thabust, unless Hakeem works some kind of miracle.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Perkins is a FA and lives in Beaumont why give up C Lee when we can sign him this summer

6. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I completely agree about Wallace. I wouldn't have trade for him.

By best possible trade, I meant in terms of competiting or flexibility. The Wallace trade would have met the first criteria but I was hoping for the next option of getting multiple picks.

Perkins could have been had BUT he wants to get paid and many are questioning his health. We can't have a multi-million, multi-year player destroy our flexibility anymore.

2011 draft blows chunks but I agree that we still have value in Martin, Lee, and Scola. But for how long? Do we have to make a push for a 2011 Top pick trade or can we hold off until 2012?

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

Kevin Perkins is a stud... no?

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Are you being serious? :eek:

9. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

This is the kind of crap that pisses me off. First, Morey did what he could and I respect that. What "superstars" were out there for the taking? Huh? Gerald Wallace is a good player, but I'm perfectly fine with him staying away from this team, especially with a contract that pays him over $10 million a year. Second who in the **** is Kevin Perkins? I mean, seriously? If you're going to start a damn thread, at least get the names right. You lose ALL credibility once you do something like that, chief.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

LOL @ Nate Robinson

And who the Hell is Kevin Perkins? :p

11. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Hey chief, calm down. We know your lover is KENDRICK PERKINS.

The thread wasn't to criticize Morey. I was proposing what the two "best possible outcomes" could have been yesterday and if that deal would make us better. No it wouldn't. I didn't say I wanted him to make these trades. This is a "possible roster" out of the movements that were made yesterday. Where is Morey criticized?

I didn't say there were any superstars to be had. I didn't even assume better players were available. Where do I mention a superstar was available? I mention that superstars don't want to come here. Do you think Dwight Howard will be here in 2012? Kevin Durant? Kobe? Melo? No, none. Therefore the best course is the draft.

If you can't read the thread, your response has no credibility.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Gerald Wallace - Two first round picks AND you add $22M in salary over the next two years for Gerald Wallace? No thanks...not for a rebuilding team.

Kendrick Perkins - Boston got Green, Kristic and the Clippers 2012 first rounder (top 10 protected). That's a better offer than we could give them.

In my opinion, the "best possible deal" would have been the one that almost happened (as reported by ESPN radio's Ryen Russillo) where the Rockets help facilitate a Deron Williams to Sacramento trade and come away with Demarcus Cousins (my assumption on Cousins being the Rockets target in the deal).

Pretty shocked about D-Will, we will be on ESPN Radio in 30min breaking it down. HOU thought they had a deal, almost sent DWill to SAC

http://twitter.com/ryenarussillo/status/40462811347820544#

#12 aelliott, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

You people are being unrealistic about Perkins. The Celtics not only got Green (our Battier) but they got a Clippers first rounder and a replacement center for Perkins. Also, it's not fair to say that Green = Battier, he's a young player not a veteran rental.

Remember we don't even have a center on this roster, and Boston doesn't give a crap about guys like Brooks, Bud, Hill.

14. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I agree our deals can't compare to the trades that actually happened. Which is another reason people need to realize that "bigger" deals weren't made because either a) they weren't available or b) they didn't make us a contender. People need to be grateful that Morey flipped two Rockets who weren't going to be here next year anyway.

Do you think Cousins who have been sent here? What would have Utah received for parting with Deron?

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The best thing DM did was not cripple our payroll long-term. Also, giving up at least 2 first rounders for Wallace wouldn't do jack squat for this squad.

16. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Wow, that lover comment is pure genius. Where'd you come up with that one?

Ha, this is still a **** thread that does nothing but speculates on the 'what-if'. A "possible roster"? Really? What the hell for? It's dumb to think about considering a) Kendrick (not to be confused with his brother, Kevin) Perkins is in OKC now, and b) Gerald Wallace is a Trail Blazer. Good try, though.

17. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Thanks, I did try. ;)

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Dunno. I'd assume lots of draft picks and some young players. If Sactown was going to get D-Will then they would have to pay heavily. The idea of Tyreke Evans in Utah does make me chuckle.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That would have been epic. :grin: