1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best place to buy suits ... HELP ME

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Feb 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Hey guys, I'm back asking for more advice.

I made a similar thread about this I think a little over a year ago. As it turns out it was premature. The career that I had been banking on did not come through until just recently and I have an appointment offer for May. I am creating a new thread rather than visiting the old one so that I can get up to date information. I know among Red Nation we have our share of fashionably sharp gentlemen and I am humbly seeking your advice.

I am looking to buy about 4 or 5 new suits. I want something that is a great value for the price. I really do not want to spend more than 2k for all of the suits. If I could save some money to put in for 2 decent pair of shoes that would be helpful. I will be using these suits everyday and BOTH quality and appearance are pretty important. Men's Warehouse? Jos. A. Bank? Suitmart? Any suggestions based on personal experience are more than welcome guys.

Thanks in advance

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

And again we are coming back to the outlet mall on 290. They have an Off 5th Avenue. They sometimes have deals like buy one suit and get one free, etc. Got a couple of Hugo Boss suits for less then a $1000 total.

1 person likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

nordstrom rack beside the marshalls at galleria. they have slim fit ben sherman suits

1 person likes this.
  4. acjeitherocket

id go with suitmart

1 person likes this.
  5. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

In the future, go back to the old thread, and make a post at the end with an update. It will 'bump' the thread up and appear in the forum, and once people click on it and see the date, they will realize it is a bump and provide you with valid information. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Things haven't changed much in the last year.

1 person likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

8. tomato

tomato Member

dod you go to Casual Male yet

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Syms is closed. I would go to Nordstrom and get helping buying one suit that you really like. Then go to the discount places more educated.

1 person likes this.
  10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Men's Warehouse, you're gonna like the way you look.

...I guarantee it.

2 people like this.
  11. what

what Member

I don't live in Houston, but in Memphis certain Macy's stores actually specialize in Men's business apparel. I say that because, in general, you can find GREAT deals at department stores.

The trick is that you have to be able to sift through the threadbare crap to find the gems.

If I were you, rather than buying premade suits (with slacks and vest), I'd shop around for pieces. You need:

a navy blue jacket (or black)
    a light grey jacket
    a contrasting jacket

Then you need about 5 pairs of quality slacks to mix and match. 1 pair of quality black loafers (cole haan) 5 quality shirts. And some ties. A black belt.

The main thing here is that everything should fit you well. You don't need to buy a 1000 dollar suit for it to be quality.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

I don't understand why he needs 4-5 suits in the first place but only has a 2K budget. Aren't most offices business casual now? You are describing a business casual wardrobe which I also think will be fine.

Also anyone know of a good tailor? I took some pants to Saigon Tailors on Alabama for a simple hem and they did a terrible job.

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

It is impossible to get a quality suit that fits well off the rack. It is better to buy less suits that are of excellent quality and fit you well than to buy 5 suits that are crap. People can tell. Bespoke is the only way to buy a suit.

1 person likes this.
  14. JamesC

JamesC Member

K&G usually has good deals on suits.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bandwagoner

If you have some incredibly weird body shape that might be true but for 90% of us made-to-measure is perfect and off the rack with some tailoring is adequate.

wait were you joking or something?

16. what

what Member

the only thing I really have to get tailored so to speak are slacks. Or if there is an incredible deal on a jacket that isn't available in all sizes.

Another consideration is the cut of the suit itself. I am a slim guy and American cut for me sucks ass. The problem is that 90% of suits in department stores are American cut.

For a more modern look, look for Italian cut suits. If you are a bigger guy I suppose American will be fine, but you'll look like every other brooks brother suit guy out there.

17. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

No, I wasn't joking. Once you buy bespoke clothing you will never buy off the rack ever again.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How much do they run?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You can get 4-5 suits for under that price at Zara. Lesser quality, exceptional fit.