1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best place to buy luggage sets and favorite brands .... HELP ME

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Hey guys, I promise this is my last thread for the day.

I need to get a nice quality luggage set that looks professional for business travel without having to shell out a ton of money. Anyone know any good websites or stores that they trust. Recommendations on brands and even models are much much appreciated.

Thanks again (rep will be given)

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Just got some Samsonite stuff from that outlet mall on 290. Seems cheaper then other places.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

My wife travels a LOT for business (I don't remember the last time she wasn't platinum for Continental/star alliance), and we've had relatively expensive stuff, and some cheap stuff. The expensive stuff isn't always as good as advertised, and EVERYTHING gets abused by baggage handlers, and the cheap stuff just won't last very long. We've actually been very happy with this stuff that we tried on a whim.

http://www.ebags.com/category/helium-fusion-lite-20/20055638

4. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Great response, thanks for the thoughtful post. Have you had better experiences with a particular brand other than the link? Any noticeable difference between hard-side or soft?

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Rimowa.

1 person likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Tumi for me looks great and lasts. Although I only carry on.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Kohls, of all places, sometimes has name brand luggage on sale. We bought my son a set of Samsonite from Kohls when he was getting ready to go out of state to college, and it has held up very well. It appears solidly made, as good wheels, etc., and is lighter than our own sets of luggage. Worth looking at. Honestly, my S.O. had to drag me over there, because I thought it would be a waste of time, but we got an excellent deal.

1 person likes this.
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

We haven’t had a noticeably better experience with any other brand. The biggest names we’ve had were Tumi, American Tourister, Samsonite, and Atlantic. Tumi was the expensive one we had that didn’t hold up (zipper issues), but we only had one piece, so that isn’t a great sample size. We only had one Samsonite, and it was a hardside. I would never buy another hardside of any kind…..we found it really difficult to stuff things into it, so it just didn’t seem to hold nearly as much. We’ve had a few American Touristers, several Atlantics, and several of the Delsey’s (along with some stuff I can’t remember the names of). I think the Atlantics were probably the best of the big names, but we’ll keep going back to Delsey now until they make us unhappy. They just seem to be the best value.

Also.......I've heard other people say good things about getting luggage at Kohls.........though we usually just hit up the Internet.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sampsonite...I was way off

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Another vote for Ross/Kohls/Marshalls/TJMaxxx.

They have name brand luggage, sometimes sets, discounted quite a bit.

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kohls normally has great deals for luggage sets.

There are a few places off of Harwin as well if you're hard pressed on cash. You need to check the sets out through to make sure there isn't any damage.

Sears is another place that normally has great deals.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I like Amazon.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

briggs and riley

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Zappos. they have a great selection, and a painless return policy if it doesn't work out.

15. wsong

wsong Member

I heard the costco is having Samsonite sale, right now. But it is only available in the local costco store, the set of 21' and 27' for $129.99. Do you guys think it is good deal?

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We got a really nice set of Victorionox Swiss Army luggage that has held up like champs (and I travel a lot) at Marshall's.

Shop around at the Stein Marts, Marshall's, and TJ Maxx's. They'll get good stuff sometimes.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I travel almost twice a week, and I went with a random Case Logic 21" Roller from ebags. That got manhandled by the baggage team within 6 months, and they replaced it with some cheap alternative. About two months later it is already showing intense wear and tear.

Lesson Learned: Next time, get an expensive Tumi (last forever and have a lifetime warranty), or whatever the flight attendants use (TravelPro).

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2nd this recommendation.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suggest going to Leather and Luggage. They have several Houston locations. They carry the top end brands and have a very knowledgable sales staff.

We buy all of our luggage there.

My wife used to travel a lot. She started out with Samsonite and it got completely trashed within a year. She next bought Adiamo (from Leather and Luggage) and has got 15+ years of hard use from that luggage. I would highly recommend Adiamo but they went out of business.

20. Prince

Prince Member