1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Offseason Possible...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

Just curious what everyone else thought could be the best possible offseason for us... here's what I've got:

Win #1 pick - Draft Cade Cunningham
    Draft in late first: Isaiah Jackson / PF Kentucky (comp of Nix Claxton)
    Trade John Wall + (3) first round picks to Knicks for (3) second round picks
    Re-sign Kelly Olynyk (50 million over 3 years)

That would put our cap at about 65 million.

Kawhi Leonard opts out on his player option - signs in Houston for MAX (may need to give him opt outs) - possible may need to structure as sign/trade with Clippers for Wall and picks in stead of Knicks...

Projected Lineup:
    PG: Kevin Porter / DJ Augustin
    SG: Cade Cunningham / Eric Gordon
    SF: Kawhi Leonard / Jae'Sean Tate / Danuel House
    PF: Kelly Olynyk / KJ Martin
    C: Christian Wood / Isaiah Jackson

I think that's a very nice team if Cade isn't a bust... No chance Kawhi comes here unless we win lottery and Porter looks like a star these last few weeks...

That also leaves us Eric Gordon + Kelly Olynyk with enough salary to trade for a max player later if the opportunity comes up...

I have us keeping Gordon initially for veteran depth with so much youth in Porter/Cunningham.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Every NBA team forfeits

jim1961 and RKREBORN like this.
  3. thekad

thekad Member

Kawhi leaving his hometown to go play for a worse team and a cheap owner. That definitely sounds possible smh

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Someone is hitting the bottle

5. Landry's Tooth

There are some rumors he and George aren't meshing... an early playoff exist could persuade him they are a dead end...

As I said, not the likely scenario; the best case scenario...

If I'm Kawhi, playing for hometown and never winning another ring or go get more rings? That might be the question. Porter/Cade/Kawhi could be a Big 3 with the upside of Wood thrown in...

6. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sure what you mean by "cheap owner". Can you get more specific? Like not willing to pay luxury tax for a non-contender?

I guess Jim Crane is cheap too, right?

juanming likes this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

lol Kawhi didn't want to come here when we had CP3 and Harden and he's gonna come to this trash team?? Ridiculous..

Hope you are being sarcastic on the why is Tillman cheap comment.. because we don't want to open that can of worms again.

vlaurelio and lakersuck2 like this.
  8. thekad

thekad Member

It’s a no case scenario. Paul George by himself gives Kawhi a better chance of winning a title over at least the next two years than Porter/Cade combined.

And if you need an explanation of why Tilman is cheap, then you’re even more lost than I originally thought.

topfive and vlaurelio like this.
  9. futilman

futilman Member

Best case scenario is we get a top 4 pick and overpay to sign Duncan Robinson or Lauri Markkanen in RFA. Would also be nice to trade EG to one of those teams that had interest before his injury, perhaps on draft day. After all that, we are probably still a lotto team next year but at least pick up some new assets using our cap.

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Wtf, why would we want those two guys??? Ryan Anderson flashbacks. Best case scenario is we get top 4 pick. Trade as many players for more picks as possible. Suck again and get top 4 pick in 2022 and 2023.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not sure we can salary dump Wall onto the Bulls - as in, I am not sure they have the space.

Plus, the Rockets wouldn't have Max cap space to sign Kawhi. Draft picks come with salaries attached.

Perhaps "best case" is Cunningham, and a 3 way trade which downgrades Wall to (eg) Love. Sign and trade Olynyk for assets. Sign 1 year bench vet/s to tutor the young guys without taking too much of their playing time.
    Play hard next season and grow from there with max space down the track when we are more experienced and ready

juanming likes this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

Not a bad thought to stay younger but i think its a slower build...

13. Landry's Tooth

Paul George doesn't because it's a known zero chance if they are a 4 or 5 seed and can't get past the second round... they lost most of their depth...

If Cade is a legit and porter drops 25+ a night on good efficiency then that's better than George who has injury history and never won anything...

There are ifs in play... if the Clippers when the championship then of course he goes nowhere... they just looked maxed out as a good, not great, team...and i suspect he will see it.

Doesn't mean he's coming here... again, best case scenario and not likely.... Kawhi is his own thing...

14. Landry's Tooth

Why am i lost? He didn't pay up for d'antoni?

Where's he coaching now and for how much?

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Please god no. The absolute last thing we need to do is give away picks to dump contracts. This would be on my list for "worst offseason possible."

16. futilman

futilman Member

Same reason GSW wanted D.Russell. Free asset that can be traded later.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

deangelo Russell was an all star. What is Lauri and Duncan?

vlaurelio likes this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

Draft:
    Cade Cunningham
    Day’Ron Sharpe
    Josh Giddey
    Sign
    KO 39/3 last year team option

Wall (give to anyone that will take him or Taynwa Harding him)

veteran leadership Gordon & KO

Porter,Cunningham, Wood, Sharpe, Giddey, Martin, AB

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Fertitta sells the team. Obviously.

20. futilman

futilman Member

Highly serviceable assets for playoff teams (Lauri may be a stretch here but he's young. Definitely more hesitant to overpay him than DR). DR should retain value among contenders if we want to trade him later but he also complements our current team if we don't.