1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Mp3 Player

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sourav004, Jul 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. sourav004

sourav004 Member

I am planning on buying a large capacity mp3 player and im looking for the best. I want around 20-40 gb. The biggest concern for me is if it comes with a replaceable battery. I heard that after a 2 years or so the battery stops holding a charge and all you have left is basically a paper weight.

I have reseached alot of Mp3 players: ipod, audio x5l, creative zen vision m, toshiba gigabeat and irivera and i cant seem to choose between them.
    What is the best mp3 player?

-Lal Salam

2. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Not sure if you have seen this, but cnet has a good review out.

Six alternatives to the Ipod from cnet

I was just at Circuit City and was very impressed with the Zen Vision, however the controls did annoy me a bit. Even when I set the sensitivity to high, I was constantly scrolling on the keypad more than I wanted.

If the Zen Vision is the way you want to go, the best price I have seen belongs to outpost.com at $259.99 with free ground shipping.

Zen Vision 30 GB from outpost

3. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

whatever you do dont buy any mp3 players from dell....they suuuuuuck...the jack gets messed up after 6-12 months in the first and second generation dell djs, I'm not sure about they're new flash player mp3 players, but the regular djs sucked so bad that dell discontinued making them.

4. ddly_tng

ddly_tng Member

I work at Circuit City and you would not believe the amount of returns we have for iPods.

Here are some things to keep in mind.

1. Alot of people take advantage of the Circuit City Advantage warranty because it includes a battery replacement within two years.
    2. Everyone buys iPods. And the people who aren't looking to buy iPods end up buying cheaper, low end, no name brands. So basically, if you are not buying an iPod, you are probably buying a ~60 SanDisk Sansa 512 mb player. I've never seen anyone buy a non-iPod mp3 player over 100$ in my time there (2 months).
    3. If you do get the iPod, get the warranty from Circuit City. I can almost guarantee that you will use it within two years.

5. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I have a Dell DJ (2nd Gen) and it's been going strong for about a year now. I've heard of faulty jacks on the Zen Micro's but not on the Dell's. However, Dell did quite making /selling large capacity players.

I would look into the Toshiba Gigabeat. They look cool.

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I just bought the Creative Zen Vision 30 gb and I love it!

7. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

I'm on my third iPod. Not that there was a problem, just upgrading. The "video" iPods are incredible.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ditto.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

OK the wife is getting me an MP3 player for Christmas and I'm sure a lot of others are getting them too.

I use a PC with XP and I have about 20 gigs of music I'd like to be able to play down at the beachouse through the existing amps and speakers there.

I'm reading the reviews of the Toshiba Gigabeat S MES30VW and they range from 10 out of 10 to a piece of junk. There are some real horror stories on the Amazon reviews about bad batteries and loss of funtion. There is a pretty general concern about the accessories too.

What do you guys think? Will an Ipod take all the mp3's off my hard drive? (A lot were from the old Napster days)

Will it hook up to the stereo through the headphone jack?

Toshiba, Sandisk, Creative or Ipod? (20-30 gig, I don't care about video)
    Anything up to $250 is cool.

Also, what headphones do you like. Most of the reviewers seem to think you need to upgrade the stock headphones. (I personally don't like earbuds, prefer good ole' lightweight headphones)

#9 Dubious, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  10. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

try the zune. i like the interface....very very easy to use. forget the sharing crap. it's a lil bigger than ipod mainly due to the screen but the surface is very much scratch resistant.

11. Poloshirtbandit

I'm thinking about buying the Zen Vision M. Anyone have one and can tell me anything good or bad about it?

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i have a friend with the vision and it's pretty sweet. you can pretty much stick any video file on there without converting anything and it'll play it. the screen is also the best of all the mp3 players i've seen imo.

that said, a few days ago, i went and bought the zune. main reason is i love how the whole thing is practically scratch-proof and built like a rock. i accidently dropped it unprotected on concrete and not a thing happened to it. the screen is widescreen which is nice but i think it's not as sharp as the zen, though close.
    another selling point was that they don't have a scroll but instead tactile buttons which i like a lot more.

too many people have the ipod so i didn't want that. i originally intended to get the creative but after demoing the zune and looking at reviews for it, i had to give it a try.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't think I want to jack with Itunes or Zune. I get a lot of my music from friends' blogs and swapping via Pando.com

The Creative Zen Vision:M 30 is sounding good. It has an A/V cable but it may just plug into the headphone jack.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If you're big on the video aspect the Vision M is probably the way to go, as you can put just about any file format on it. And if you want to use software other than iTunes obviously don't get an ipod.

If you don't mind itunes and don't care too much about the video, an ipod is fine. It's actually easier to use than just about everything else, and you have a lot more options for setting it up in your car (other than fm transmitters) or getting a dock speaker for home.

Both have built in batteries and are hard drive based, so it's a good idea to get the service plan/extended warranty with it.

15. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

i have a archos av500 30gb available if you want to buy it. i bought it for 320 thinking my sister would like it but she wanted an ipod. so now im just trying to get rid of it for 295.

it is brand new in the sealed box. its gotten really good reviews as well. pm me if interested

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I have a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra and I like it a lot. No problems with it at all for the year I've had it. It's a 40 gig version, and I got a crazy good deal on it, so look around a lot before you buy one.

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

had a first gen ipod, 10 gig, loved it, gave it to my brother. its 3 1/2 yrs old now, and runs great, its still on the original battery.

now i have a 30 gig video ipod, runs great. its almost a year old and seems to be holding its charge well.

the batteries are fairly easy to replace should you need to, and its cheaper than buying a new on.

my only complaint is that i didn't get the 60gig :rolleyes: :D

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I bought a SanDisk Sansa e250 2 GB mp3 player at the end of the summer and I really haven't been to happy with it. The first one had pixels going out after a couple of uses, and for some reason, the 2nd one has stopped playing a lot of the songs I have loaded on it. Don't know why, though...I'll eventually try to figure that out or send it in for a replacement (ugh)

19. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

I've been wanting this baby: Cowon A2

[​IMG]

Only bad thing about it is it only offered up to 30GB .... but battery life is sensational ... of course, it's much more than just a MP3 player :p

20. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I've been considering getting a player, my main question is this.

What players will not let you put songs ripped from a CD onto them? I don't want to buy songs when I already have the CD.