1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Hong Kong Import?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yipengzhao, Apr 27, 2004.

?

Who's the best Hong Kong import?

1. Jackie Chan

17 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Jet Li

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Chow Yun Fat

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Other

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

Talking about Asian movies has brought this question to my mind. Who is the best action import from Hong Kong? Jackie Chan, Jet Li, or Chow Yun Fat. I have seen probably all their movies and here are some of my thoughts.

Jackie Chan -- I feel that his movie-making in America peaked out in Rumble in the Bronx. That's classic HK style Jackie Chan transplanted in America, and it was a success. I also like Rush Hour 1 and 2, as well as the "Shanghai" series. Those are funny but Jackie is not really the real star. His solo projects have been disappointments to me, i.e. the Tuxedo, and the Medallion. Especially the Medallion. He's sort of a caricature now, and these movies have very little originality. I hold out hope for "Around the World in 80 Days" coming out this summer.

Jet Li -- Jackie Chan's kung fu can really only be characterized as stunts, most of which can be learned at a Peking Opera school. Jet Li's kung fu movies made in China, especially the early stuff, are superior and is more real martial arts, but his success in America has been limited. "Romeo Must Die" I felt was a very good movie. Jet Li followed with "Kiss of the Dragon," which I felt was probably his peak in America thusfar. "The One" I liked for the action... but the plot let's just say was average.

Chow Yun Fat -- definitely my favorite. The movies he made in the 80s and 90s were just bad ass, no one else has that kind of screen presence. In Asia, he is Arnold, Denzel, Brosnan wrapped up into one. What's amazing was that he retired at his peak in the early nineties and have made no more movies in Hong Kong since. Talk about screen legend, that's Chow Yun Fat. However, his stuff in America leaves something to be desired. I felt the best was probably "Anna and the King," he carried that movie with his suaveness. "Replacement Killers" and "The Corruptor" were both so so in my mind, because they cannot stand up to his old movies in Hong Kong. Most recently, "Bulletproof Monk" I felt signaled a decline, I wonder if he is still getting good scripts.

Others worth mentioning.

Sammo Hung -- I watched that show he had with Arsenio... every single episode.

Russell Wong -- in a few movies and "Black Sash" haha

Leslie Cheung, Stephen Chow, etc.

Who is your favorite?

(please refrain from any derailing of this thread, and admins please lock or move if that happens)

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Member

I have liked Jackie Chan movies, but I have to agree about Chow Yun-Fat. The guy has presense.

I just don't think American directors know what to do with him, so his American output has left a lot to be desired.

3. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

kind of a comparison i like with Chow Yun Fat is Anthony Hopkins... hopefully as he ages he can get the same kind of roles that Hopkins has been able to.

4. synergy

synergy Member

uhmm, what about BRUCE LEE?

I know he was born in the US, but he lived mostly in Hong Kong, and then returned back here. I think Bruce Lee deserves a spot in your poll.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Hong Kong Phooey

6. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

actually... he was born in Hong Kong too.

i guess if i put Bruce Lee in there it would be too obvious. plus i was thinking more of current imports.

7. Chump

Chump Member

my exact sentiments, where the hell is Bruce on the list?

Bruce Lee tops all

8. synergy

synergy Member

http://www.allbrucelee.com/biography.htm

Bruce Lee (Lee Hsiao Lung), was born in San Fransisco in November 1940 the son of a famous Chinese opera singer. Bruce moved to Hong Kong when he soon became a child star in the growing Eastern film industry.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

I'd say Jackie Chan! Rush Hour was great!

I don't know who Sammo Hung, Russell Wong, Leslie Cheung or Stephen Chow are

10. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

wow?!

that's what you get when you use a biographical movie as your only source of information. i could have sworn in "Dragon" he was born in Hongkong.

Forgive my ignorance.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Hong Kong Phooey.

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Member

Only 34 minutes to get the Hong Kong Phooey reference reissued. :)

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

I remember I did a book report on Bruce Lee in middle school and I learned alot. I even did a demonstrated (or tried to) the infamous "one-inch punch"

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

Bruce Lee is my grand-uncle. Not a lie. I was just at his grandfather's (my great great grandfather) grave not too long ago.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I chose Jackie Chan because of his creativity that goes along with his stunts. The stunts are great, the fact that he does them himself is incredible, but the creativity that is a part of his choreography is what really sets it above the rest. It's truly amazing.

The Tuxedo, and Medallion were pretty lame, I will admit, but I would never discount a life time of great work because these couple of flops.

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Member

Com'on, the Tuxedo was great. It had Jennifer Love Hewitt in it, and she has large breasts. And, it had a BMW Z8 in it at one point (I think). That's all one needs for a high quality movie.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow nyquil thats really cool. im gonna be as in good as shape as bruce lee one day.

yeah right :(

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sammo Hung was fast for being so portly, Martial Law was a great show.

19. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

yeah... but i'm talking about their work here.

a lot of his movies First Strike, Double Dragon, Mr. Nice Guy, Operation Condor, etc... those are just re-releases.

20. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

they're not THAT big...

the Tuxedo was distinctly better than the Medallion though.