1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Guitar Players born in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Oct 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

After the Edgar Winter Group and Pink Floyd cover, you may just be asking yourself

Well, how did Trey get here

Once in a Lifetime by David Byrne and The Talking Heads

Denver, 2015, Labor Day Weekend, Sunday

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mjdr2FlmJAY?start=14462" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phish Loves Dicks

#61 heypartner, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, that was terrible. It would have been nicer to just throw a bunch of TH albums on stage and light them on fire. Less offensive to TH, certainly.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

3. heypartner

I agree. Remain in Light is arguably my favorite album of all time. (Yes, I argue with myself about things like this), but Once in a Lifetime is like my 6th favorite song on that album. It was fun to see Phish play live after 4 hours of a closing tour show, but not that great, as you say.

But note: Every Halloween Phish plays an entire show of a secret cover album. They once played the entire Remain in Light. I'm still trying to find that show.

4. likestohypeguy

Haha this was just intended to be a phish thread all along.

Good stuff anyway. Regarding guitarists, like for most people here it's Srv then draw a line for me too. His phrasings were just so coherent, almost like talking or telling a story. He let lines breathe, used an extreme range of dynamics without ever being jolting or annoying, and while there are others' sounds I like as much, no better choice of guitar tone than his.

5. heypartner

Phish? For the record, I said Trey in the OP. What did y'all expect from me? No one should be surprised. :)

It just took me awhile to share the vids.

6. heypartner

Arguably my favorite Trey Ghost of the year,,,Denver 2015, Labor Weekend, Friday

Day 1, Song 2.

Trey shows up on top of his game to close the season, just like Harden will

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PEXU9WDbBJk?start=335" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Wasn't he born in Huntington Beach, CA?

I Like Stevie Ray and he is among the tops but I could easily go with Eric Johnson, Edgar Winter, or Trey even though he was born in Ft. Worth. I wouldn't give Billy the tech chops of the others, but he might win on feel. Plus he's just a cool guy. How about early greats for groundbreaking like Lightnin' Hopkins? Buddy Holly?

#67 CrazyDave, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it, the more I like Buddy Holly as the choice. He was an amazing guitar player.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, a lot to pick from! I'm always partial to SRV and even Eric Johnson, but don't get me wrong Trey is great too, haha don't need you to sell me on that! It really just depends what I want to listen to atm.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

11. heypartner

It was awesome to see Eric Johnson when he first started. I think I saw him with only 40 other people at the defunct Rockefeller's. Great show.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

He (Eric Johnson) regularly shows up at the Zappa Plays Zappa concerts and jams a song or two with Dweezilla.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't know how those tribute shows get the people they do. I saw The Hendrix Experience show in The Arena theater (maybe 3,000 people) and they brought out guitarist after guitarist including Eric Johnson, Johnny Lang, Rojas and Hidalgo from Los Lobos, Eric Gales, Kenny Wayne Shepard etc.
    I was in guitar heaven, best rock show ever.

http://www.experiencehendrixtour.com/

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The Reverend Horton Heat is the truth

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JiQx5O7EZJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Wf1dAfJfr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>