1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I have once and I didn't really care for it. Wasn't terrible or anything, but really wasn't that good

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm not black but if I may speak for the black race, if you black and you vote for KFC, lets hold a racial draft (from Chappelle if you lack humor) and send you to the white team :cool:

Only good thing at KFC is the Chicken Pot Pie and that sucks cause you can buy it frozen for half the cost and it tastes the same.

KFC beating Churchs is a total shock.

3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Where the hell is Hartz??? They have a kick ass buffet.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would rank Fried chicken fast food in this order:

1. Popeye's
    2. Hartz
    3. Frenchy's
    4. Church's
    99. The back of some guy's car
    100. KFC

Frenchy's gets a lot of love in Houston but I found their chicken to be too greasy (is that even possible?). But I do agree, Hartz rules especially their rolls.

5. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Now I haven't lived in Houston in more than 10 years ( :( ) but maybe 6-7 years ago I recall hearing about some Central or South American chicken place opening up in SW Houston. The article I remember reading mentioned people bringing this chicken on planes to Houston until it got popular enough to start a place, then there were lines blocks long when it opened.

I can't make it to Houston but for once a year so I never went there and don't even know what it's called. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? Is it still open and/or good?

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

http://www.campero.com/menu.php

It is good........but I'd rather have Frenchy's. Can't believe people who have actually had Frenchy's are rating others higher, but Frenchy's is very similar to the way I fry chicken, so I guess I'm gonna give them extra love.

7. WildSweet&Cool

Hey Fatty. When I drink a big glass of milk after eating hot wings, I don't get stomach aches and the $hits. Give it a shot.

Okay folks - I need your help:

I'm a native Houstonian and I've never been to Frenchy's. Heard a lot about it. Never been there.

I have questions on how to do Frenchy's:

Do they have a drive through? Or is it only walkup?
    If it's walkup, where should I park?
    Aside from the chicken, what else should I order?
    Is there anything I should NOT order?
    What is the best time to go there?
    Is there any specific time NOT to go there (crowds? unsafe environment?)
    Should I eat it there, or get it to go?
    Any other advice?

8. Poloshirtbandit

Frenchy's

/thread

9. Poloshirtbandit

Do they have a drive through? Or is it only walkup? Both. I'd recommend walk up. Drive thru takes forever.

If it's walkup, where should I park? In the parking lot.

Aside from the chicken, what else should I order? Lemon cake and strawberry drank.

Is there anything I should NOT order? The greens give me mud butt.

What is the best time to go there? I'll usually go around 3 PM and the crowds aren't terrible.

Is there any specific time NOT to go there (crowds? unsafe environment?) 2 AM

Should I eat it there, or get it to go? Doesn't matter.

Any other advice? Uhh, cash only.

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Captain Spaulding's Fried Chicken and Gasoline
    /Thread

[​IMG]

11. Poloshirtbandit

I think I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember the name of it. I went to a place off 45 just south of UH that looked like it had been converted from a McDonalds. It was ok, but nothing special.

12. distence

distence Contributing Member

Timmy Chan's Wing Dinner

13. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

WS&C, there is one on I-45 and Tidwell. But it is a walk-up only place. Meaning, there is no inside, though the building used to be a Pizza Inn at one time. Weird. There is one near UH also.

If you are going to the Tidwell location, you should be okay. Not the best neighborhood in the world, but you are in the open out there. Just don't start anything, because there will surely be a few people there ready to end it.

My top 5 goes like this:

1. Frenchy's
    2. Popeye's
    3. Hartz
    4. Church's
    5. KFC

Frenchy's is great, but so few locations in the city which makes me wonder how in the hell they had enough money to become a Texans sponsor last season.

Popeye's is good too, but not on the same level as Frenchy's. The have good specials though, so for a group of people Popeye's might be best. I remember walking around Chicago one day and ran into a Popeye's. It was good up there too.

Hartz has a good taste, the chicken is always fresh and they have some good Tejas Wings too. I have never had a bad meal from Hartz.

If Church's wasn't so f'n greasy it would be ranked higher. But Church's is kinda bland though. No spices at all, though it is very cheap.

KFC used to be the bomb with it's Original Recipe. But not sure what happened throughout the years. Mahybe all thouse KFC/Pizza Hut and KFC/Taco Bell places has diluted the quality. But they are not where they used to be. But they are good for the gimmick foods, like the bowls and wraps. But for straight chicken, they aren't doing what they used to.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Popeye's. Too bad it's crazy expensive for 'fast food'. It's nearly as much as going to Chili's or some other generic sit down.

I did not know about Church's spicy chicken. I always felt that their chicken tasted like there was absolutely no seasoning. I'll try it next time.

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

When I do Frenchy's I like to go to the original next door to U of H on Scott Street. There are others sorta near me....59 and West Bellfort, South Post Oak near Fuqua...that I haven't tried yet.

Hartz's sells fried chicken livers which are yummy. Not too many fried chicken places sell those any more.

Timmy Chan's tastes like ass. I will never eat there again.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

None

My mother's fried chicken is the best.

And it doesn't give me the sh*ts.

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I voted for Popeye's...from that list. Here's an interesting article from the Austin Chronicle from a couple weeks ago. The author is a coworker of mine (she's also originally from Mexico City). This is an Austin-centric article, obviously. Just thought some of y'all might find it interesting.
    http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid:496996

Yardbird's Blues
    How the bone-out chicken-fried chicken breast is destroying American menus – and who's taking a stand against it
    BY CLAUDIA ALARCÓN

We went underclucker to find the best fried chicken in town.

"By my reckoning, fried chicken must have a bone ... the presence of a bone in a piece of fried chicken is functionally and formally elemental. Without a bone, chicken lacks its savory essence, its primal, Henry VIII appeal."
    – John T. Edge, from Fried Chicken: An American Story

It all started back at the Super Bowl party when my friend Kemp, upon learning of my background in freelance food writing, asked, "So, where is the best fried chicken in town?" I was surprised at my lack of a concrete answer. I could summon a couple of names, but the best fried chicken in Austin? That is a loaded question. I had to do some research. And this turned into a quest that proved – sadly – that the quintessential American classic is disappearing from Austin's menus in favor of the flattened, breaded, fried breast filet know by the name of "chicken-fried chicken."

Most American-born people I know can claim their mother's or grandmother's fried chicken as "the best ever," fried to a crispy, golden perfection in a cast-iron skillet, served with homemade mashed potatoes and gravy. In Mexico City, fried chicken lacks such iconic status. That was until the early Seventies, when El Pollo Kentucky arrived in all its white-and-red-striped glory.

"Juicy on the inside, crunchy on the outside," claimed the jingle. My brother and I were smitten. Going to El Pollo Kentucky was reserved for a special occasion, since my mother had less money and more sense than most American mothers today who feed their families value-pack dinners on a painfully regular basis. I learned to love American-style fried chicken then, and I still love it now. What I didn't know then was that, years later, I would find myself up to my elbows – literally – in seasoned flour, deep-frying chicken five nights a week.

To write about fried chicken in Austin, one must start at the beginning. And for me that is Threadgill's, where I worked from 1984 until 1989. At the granddaddy of "American food, Southern style" cooking establishments, when someone ordered fried chicken, the obligatory question posed by the waitstaff was "dark, white, or mixed?" The order would come to the kitchen, and the pieces of choice would be hand-tossed in seasoned flour, dipped in buttermilk egg wash, and deep-fried to order. I poke in at my old stomping grounds to see if anything has changed. Alas, it has. Gone are the days of dark, white, or mixed, in favor of – you guessed it – the "chicken-fried chicken breast."

Aghast, I call Eddie Wilson.

I've known Eddie, as he puts it, "since you were a tadpole," and I know that the man is serious about any endeavor he gets himself involved with. He likes to see things through, his way. So when I ask him about "86ing" the fried chicken off the menu, he has a very logical explanation. "Nobody has time to wait for their meals anymore. Making proper fried chicken takes time, and making large amounts to order is hard to do. It's hard to get the frying temperature right to cook the chicken so that it is not overly done on the outside and still cold next to the bone." He continues: "Fried chicken has been co-opted by the corporate chains who make it ahead of time. If I had a buffet, I could do it. It could be ready for folks to come 'n' get it, like they do at Dot's Place. But making it to order for people in a hurry just doesn't work."

I remember that we used to prebake the chicken in order to reduce frying time and make sure it was cooked through.

"But that changes the texture and consistency of the chicken," Wilson tells me. "It's just not right. So when it was time to revise our menu, the fried chicken didn't make the cut."

His argument, in my book, is valid. At least he kept the fried chicken livers.

So, if Threadgill's no longer serves proper fried chicken, who does? I ask countless people where they go for their favorite fried chicken, but most give me the same befuddled answer: "I don't know!" Except for my longtime friend Charlotte Harris, who answers, without a hint of hesitation, "Top Notch!" Oh yeah, I remember Top Notch. It was the Pollo Kentucky of my first days living in Austin, when special-occasion dining was hickory burgers and fried chicken at the timeless Burnet Road establishment. I pay a visit for old times' sake, and I am rewarded with freshly made, juicy fried chicken served atop a pile of fries. The chicken at Top Notch is not pan-fried "like mama used to make," but it is crispy, juicy, and delicious in its deep-fried glory. I devour it. Hope is restored.

Continuing my quest, I peruse menus and visit every restaurant that seems likely to serve fried chicken the proper way. Hill's Cafe, Hoover's Cooking, Ms. B's, Woody's South, the Broken Spoke, Evangeline Cafe, Gene's New Orleans Style Poboys & Deli, Shoal Creek Saloon, Cypress Grill, Nubian Queen Lola's Cajun Kitchen ... all to no avail. Gene's Saturday special of smothered chicken is a heavenly soul-food classic, and the chicken fries – thin strips of boneless breast fried and served like french fries – are addicting.

Now, I know that chicken wings have bones and are sometimes fried and served in a variety of ways, and I never shy away from a dozen good wings. Chicken-wing chains are sprouting around town faster than sushi bars (well, almost). The Shaggy's Original jerk wings at Billy's on Burnet are something to write home about, as are the tangy, spicy wings from Hill-Bert's Burgers. And who can deny the ubiquitous crispy fried wings served at most local Chinese restaurants? But the honorable mention goes to Hill's Cafe's Mexican White Wings, chicken strips with chile serrano, wrapped in bacon, deep-fried, and dipped in a spicy cayenne-pepper sauce. Ouch. They are so good. But as much as I love wings, I don't quite consider them in the same category as classic fried chicken.

It should also be noted that I have nothing against the fried chicken-breast filet that most of the aforementioned restaurants serve. In fact, Ms. B's is delicious, with a well-seasoned crispy crust and wonderful red beans and rice on the side. Roky Erickson is partial to the one served at Evangeline Cafe, and Shoal Creek Saloon's is huge and tasty. But they lack the essence of real fried chicken: the bones. It seems to me that somehow, somewhere in time, diners decided that eating a boneless, skinless fried chicken breast is healthier than eating the same piece of chicken with a bone in it. And restaurateurs obliged. I despise flavor-of-the-month "health-conscious" hypes.

I am looking for "finger-lickin' good" fried chicken, and as Wilson mentioned, it seems that national chains have the monopoly on that. While I won't deny that a serving of Popeyes' spicy chicken with their rehydrated mashed potatoes and giblet gravy after a night on the town is quite rewarding, I am looking for something more local, more "homey." The recently resurrected Dot's Place still fries massive amounts of bone-in chicken for the hordes of loyal customers, who sometimes wait in line for 25 minutes to get served. Dot Hewitt's cooking is that good. Unfortunately, Pflugerville is not necessarily on my radar, and the short business hours don't make it practical for many people to make the trek for fried chicken. Pflugervillians are in luck. I, however, need something closer.

My friend Joanie, who owns the legendary Iron Gate Lounge on East Sixth, reminds me of Tony's Southern Comfort Restaurant directly across the street. I pay a visit during lunch, and Tony's doesn't disappoint. Golden-fried to order, the fried-chicken special comes in dark and white, juicy, well-spiced, and served with choice of two sides. What's more, Tony's menu actually features chicken and waffles, with your choice of one breast or three wings served alongside a Belgian waffle with syrup. The origin of this unique combination is puzzling. I turn to my brilliant colleague John T. Edge, director of the Southern Foodways Alliance at the University of Mississippi. In his marvelous little book Fried Chicken: An American Story, he unearths several "conflicting views" of the origin of the chicken-and-waffle phenomenon: as Sunday breakfast in Virginia, as a dish native to Louisiana, as "a traditional breakfast of Southern black folks," as a traditional Harlem staple with possible roots in Alabama, and as a popular dish among the Pennsylvania Dutch (this one I had heard before from former chef Jodene Faux, a Pennsylvania Dutch descendant). I say hurray for Tony's.

In search of more surprises, I start looking into fancier places, those that serve upscale twists on American classics. The Woodland, Moonshine, Blue Star Cafeteria, El Gringo, or South Congress Cafe don't serve fried chicken on the bone, but only variations of the breast filet. By pure chance, I came to learn that Jasper's, the new restaurant at the Domain, owned by Texas celebrity chef Kent Rathbun, serves fried chicken during weekend lunches.

"It's my grandmother's recipe," says Rathbun with pride, and rightly so. Served over a mound of garlicky mashed potatoes, his pan-fried chicken is ever-so-lightly coated in seasoned flour, then fried to order to a luscious golden in a cast-iron skillet, rendering all the fat and leaving a crispy, light skin crust that left me swooning. Crispy fried skin, whether it is from chicken, turkey, fish, or pork, is one of my downfalls. I can eat chicharrones mercilessly, and I could chow pounds of that awesome crispy fish skin they use as a garnish at Uchi, all while watching the game and drinking a beer. Jasper's corporate chef, Aaron Staudenmaier, a young talent who is an absolute charmer, shares this passion with me. "I grew up in a family where crispy roasted chicken skin is a highly prized commodity," he tells me. "So I take great care to see that chef Rathbun's chicken is made properly." And I am ever so grateful to both of them, for I have found fried-chicken nirvana. I am proclaiming Jasper's as the very best fried chicken in Austin, until someone else proves me wrong.

"If fried chicken is American, then it denotes an American identity that accommodates cooks from a plethora of traditions," Edge writes. That statement substantiates my findings, because the second-best fried chicken in Austin is to be found at a Vietnamese restaurant. Possibly the very first Vietnamese restaurant in the city, the venerable Saigon Kitchen has moved from a tiny hole in the wall on Cameron Road to a popular location on North Lamar to its current location on South I-35. Although it has changed ownership and menu items have come and gone, one that I go back for time and again is the crispy fried-chicken special, a half-chicken seasoned and fried to perfection, served hacked over a pile of rice with house-made pickled vegetables, fresh cucumber spears, and tomato slices, with nuoc mam (fish sauce) on the side for dipping.

Another twist of fried-chicken fate takes me to El Zunzal, East Austin's little family-owned Salvadoran restaurant. There awaits an amazing dish called Pollo Frito en Tajadas, a whole, bone-in chicken breast fried to a crisp, smothered in a tangy creole-style sauce made with tomatoes, onions, celery, and bell peppers. The whole thing is served with fried plantains and slices of fresh cucumber, radish, and beets. Sound different? It is. And it is also incredibly delicious. If these international renditions of fried chicken represented the true meaning of globalization, I would be all for it.

During my research for this story, I popped in at Evangeline Cafe and asked owner Curtis Clarke for his opinion on the best fried chicken in town. Again, the answer was, "Well, I don't know, really." I bring up my research and the lack of results. He ponders for a minute, looking at me with a gleam in his eye, and says, "Well, maybe I should start making it!" Maybe you should, my friend. In fact, you definitely should. end story
    Marrow-Minded: Bone-in fried-chicken findings
    Dot's Place (15803 Windermere, Pflugerville, 512/252-9300)

El Zunzal (642 Calles, 474-7749)

Jasper's (11506 Century Oaks Terrace #128, 834-4111)

Saigon Kitchen (4323 S. I-35, 326-3969)

Tony's Southern Comfort Restaurant (1201 E. Sixth, 320-8801)

Top Notch (7525 Burnet Rd., 452-2181)

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Off topic, I've been eating a lot of Captain D's recently. I had never eaten there in my life so I'm trying everything on the menu.

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Never been a big fan of Fried Chicken but when I moved up to Dallas, my wife introduced me to Williams Chicken, only fried chicken I think has any real taste

20. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

It tastes like Church's to me, no seasoning. Considering that a black man started started them, I thought they would have more zing to it, but it's bland as hell.

So, up here Popeyes is king, although SOC may have some places, I've never went over there just for chicken, and I ain't driving around over there either.

But, every time I go to Houston to visit my folks, I go to two places, every single time. Burns BBQ and Frenchy's Chicken.