1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best draft fits for the Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sgl_carlos, May 25, 2012.

1. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

2. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

Best draft fits for the Rockets
    May, 25, 2012
    MAY 25
    8:20
    AM ET
    By David Thorpe

There most assuredly will be irony in Houston on draft day.

The Houston Rockets own multiple late-lottery to mid-first round picks, most likely the No. 14 and No. 16 slots. The problem is they are the one team in least need of those type of draft picks. The Rockets are stacked at positions 1 through 4, and with the picks they own they have almost no chance to draft the center they desperately need to return to contention.

Assuming general manager Daryl Morey re-signs the Rockets' restricted free agents, there is no player they can select from this year's draft (short of Anthony Davis) who would have a significant impact on the team in 2012-13. So it makes a good deal of sense for the Rockets to look to package those picks and perhaps one of the many very good players on their roster in order to move up in the draft or get out entirely.

The Rockets also own the rights to two very good players in Europe right now (Sergio Llull and Donatas Motiejunas), so adding two first-round picks from the United States only takes options away from Morey rather than giving him more flexibility. Here's a quick look at who might best fit the Rockets team if forced to make that call.

Good fits: Terrence Ross, Jeremy Lamb, Austin Rivers

Though Houston appears to feature a glut of talented wings, there is a good chance at least one of them won't be in Houston next year because of trades or free agency (Courtney Lee is a restricted free agent, for instance). So drafting a shooting guard makes sense. Ross and Lamb are classic wings who should be strong perimeter shooters quickly. Rivers is more of a combo guard who can fill in for Goran Dragic (who also is a restricted free agent) if he leaves for more money or finds a starting role elsewhere.

Houston's offense relies heavily on middle of the court ballscreens for the point guard, and though Rivers is projected to be more of a shooting guard, he does have the ball skills to play the lead spot. He has the skills and confidence to score in Houston's system.

Better fits: Fab Melo, Meyers Leonard, Evan Fournier

Melo is the intriguing guy for Houston. For years, the Rockets have been searching for Yao Ming's replacement, and while Melo will never be that kind of player, he does have the sort of defensive upside the Rockets crave. It's doubtful he'd play much in Houston next season, but he'd get a ton of time with their D-League team, as Houston wisely uses that developmental program more than most teams do.

Since Melo could end up being a late first-round pick, Morey has the choice to possibly trade down and still get him or Leonard, another intriguing defensive prospect who would likely spend most of next season in the D-League.

Each has the requisite size and length, as well as athletic fluidity, to become a solid shot blocker in the NBA. Of course, Morey would rather have a top-tier veteran talent, but unless or until he can acquire that player, developing Melo or Leonard works for what Houston is trying to do. Hasheem Thabeet never did anything there, and the Rockets are currently working with another upside defensive guy in Greg Smith. Both Melo and Leonard have higher upsides than Smith.

Melo and Leonard are both athletic players. Melo's final season at Syracuse was marred by off-court distractions and academic issues that led to his being declared ineligible for the NCAA tournament. However, he was the Big East defensive player of the year, while averaging 7.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Leonard also has good shot-blocking and rebounding ability.

If Houston likes Fournier's talent, he becomes an excellent choice for them because they can leave him in Europe for another season, letting him continue his development while they decide what they are going to do with all of their wing players as well as Llull and Motiejunas in Europe.

Fournier has skills and a good feel for scoring, but he would be stuck behind too many players this coming season to make a difference. Remember, second-team all-American Marcus Morris barely played for the Rockets this season thanks to that depth and the solid play of 2011 second-round pick Chandler Parsons.

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Offer the pics + ipad to Bobcats for Davis

Way to go Morey for not tanking when you couldn't get a superstar:rolleyes:

4. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Thank you sir!

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great analysis from a guy (Thorpe) who--unlike most NBA writers and even many analysts--actually understands the Xs and Os of coaching and playing basketball. He's one of the guys whose opinions I most trust.

I, too, like some of the SGs who could be available in the middle of the first round. It is far from a certainty that the Rockets have depth at SG next season (Martin may be traded and is in his final year; Lee is a RFA; and Budinger is more of a SF). I also wouldn't mind trading down with one of those picks to take a center in the late first round, hopefully picking up a future (protected) first or multiple future second rounders in the process.

And people are seriously overlooking the Rockets' potential need for a PG. Everywhere from 790 AM to even Thorpe (who incorrectly believes that Dragic is a RESTRICTED free agent), everyone seems to just ASSUME that Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic will be manning the PG spot for the Rockets next year. The fact is, Lowry's trade value may render him the best piece to use in a trade; Dragic's unrestricted free agency may very well lead him elsewhere; and Llull's buyout makes it tricky for him to come over next year. Hell, it's possible that NEITHER of them could be on the roster next season (not likely, just possible). If the BPA on the board at #14 or #16 is a PG (i.e., Lillard or Marshall), then it's a distinct possibility that Morey would just take that guy and then move Lowry or let Dragic (who will inevitably get overpaid) walk in free agency.

Oh, and another thing. For those b****ing about the Rockets sending their guys down to the D-League, take note that David Thorpe actually PRAISES the Rockets for doing this, given Houston's particular level of control with the RGV Vipers. He's actually a guy who can COMPETENTLY weigh in on the merits of the Rockets' use of the D-League while at the same time being above accusation of just being a "PR spin guy". I'm really glad that he views it as a positive.

#5 BimaThug, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if Thorpe still works with Kevin Martin has his trainer in the offseason and if he heard anything from Martin about possible trades. Martin mentioned something about he may or may not be back next year at the end of the season. I would imagine he had a talk (exit interview) with Morey and discussed the future.

I think the Rockets should draft Austin Rivers and threaten to send him to the D-League for as long as the NBA rules permit unless his dad Doc and uncle Danny randoms him from the Vipers with some nice consideration.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

True that.

But it isn't impoortant that we clutchfans doorknobs agree or disagree on this. I wonder about agents and players and their perception of the D-League thing. D-League is kind of that netherworld, neither NCAA nor NBA.

I know it won't stop us from drafting whomever we want. Just wondering.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wasn't Thorpe one of the "experts" who had Parsons going in the second round last year?? Yeah, let's listen to him.:rolleyes:

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

And, let's see. DID Chandler Parsons go in the second round last year? Why, YES. He did.

Also, every GM in the league had a chance to either select Parsons in the first round or to trade into the late first round to select him.

If all 30 NBA general managers and David Thorpe universally agreed about one thing, wouldn't you give that consensus opinion a great deal of weight?

I sure as hell would.

Just because a second round pick turns out to be a terrific, undervalued pick doesn't negate an expert's opinions generally.

10. RedHotRockets01

PREACH!!!

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Says the guy posting Poopsworld links in his Jeffery Taylor thread. If Thorpe had praise for Taylor I bet you'd be all over it.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Just because a 2011 redraft would put Chandler solidly into the first round (and maybe even lottery), that don't mean a thing as well.

Morey saw Chandler as first round material, while other experts did not. Morey was proven correct, while the others ... not so much.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

EXCELLENT analysis, Bima!!! You're certainly a well-respected poster here, but this may be the most intelligent, cogent series of thoughts you've ever strung together on this BBS.

Oh, and for the rest of you: http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showpost.php?p=6871822&postcount=10

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I like most of what he said, However, im not too high on Melo. And while I think the Rockets do use the d-league very well, I would rather see a guy like Leonard stay with the team and get some NBA coaching/experience.