1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best downtown tunnel restaurants?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket Fan, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I have an internship downtown, and this is the first time I've really had a reason to be in downtown tunnels.

Since I have been and am going to be eating in tunnels most days, I was just curious what everyone thinks are the best restaurants in downtown tunnel.

I haven't walked through all of the tunnels yet...

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What are these tunnels downtown I always here about? Every single time I am in Houston my uncle says he's going to show me the tunnels but we never can squeeze it in. Is part of Houston actually underground?

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I remember seeing something on Channel 13 news (one of the extra "Discover Your Local Area" reports or whatever) about the tunnels. It looks very interesting. I want to go next time I'm in town...

http://www.discoverhoustontours.com/Welcome to the Downtown Houston Tunnel System 020722.htm

4. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

It's really not that exciting... but maybe that's because I've been working downtown for the last 4 years. A lot of the decent restaurants are at ground level, so the tunnels are really more of a semi-air-conditioned means of getting to them.

What part of downtown? I can probably point out a few places.

5. droxford

droxford Member

Yes! There is a VERY LARGE underground tunnel system in downtown Houston. This is why you don't see huge crowds of people on the streets - they avoid the heat/cold/rain by walkin in the tunnels and skywalks.

Go to houstondowntown.com to learn more and to download a map of the tunnel/skywalk system.

Inside the tunnels are countless shops and restaurants, and even a mall (The Park Shops - not the greatest mall, but it's a mall). The shops and restaurants in downtown houston at ground level and in the tunnels makes downtown my favorite place to work in Houston. It's really fantastic. And it's even better at Christmas.

---

To answer the original question:

I like skyline deli best.

On the west side of town at ground level is a place called Bouray's which has the second-best giant burrito in town (best is Freebird's). Their quality is just slightly below Freebird's, but they have lower prices and better meat selection for your burrito (shrimp!). The scary part: they also serve Vietnamese food. So you can either order a burrito or a bowl of pho. Weird. The burritos are good (MUCH better than Chipotle or Mission) and I hear their pho is 'not bad'.

There are other restaurants that are good, but expensive (like Irma's or Cabo).

Best burger downtown is Beck's Prime. I went to Lankford Grocery once, but foolishly expected them to take a credit card. Since they are cash-only, my friend and I had to leave. My kind of place, though. I look forward to returning.

Best chinese food in the Tunnels: Wok and Roll

6. shawn786

shawn786 Member

My Cell Phone store is located in the Down Town Tunnel system. Its pretty cool. Its like a mall kind of w/ lots of places to shop and eat, under ground. I think you should go to the Tower Shops Mall. They have some good resturants there and a food court as well.

-Shawn

7. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Treebeard's is the best (If they are still in the tunnels). It's a cajun cafeteria. I also like Wall St. Deli.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Top 3 Downtown food joints:

#3.-Treebeards- Do their Seafood Gumbo on Thursday or Friday (only days they serve it). Best Gumbo in Town. They also have good red beans and rice. For good po boys, go to Zydeco.

#2.-Zero's Deli- Awesome sandwickes. Think Shlotszkis, but much better.

#1-Doozo's-This is on the second floor of the Park mall. All they serve are dumplings, but they are the best dumplings in town. Do the combo: 5 Pork, 5 Vegetable for $5.

9. droxford

droxford Member

Hey - do you work downtown?

Ya know, I've worked downtown for three years and still have not been to Zero's. I keep hearing great things about 'em.

10. Fatty FatBastard

I used to. Now I'm in the Galleria. If you like deli sandwiches, you need to try it. Pretty much the same as Shlotzski's, but their buns are soooo much better.

Give it a try. I believe there are three locations.

11. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Do they still have Muffalettas there? It used to be the only Treebeards you could get it at. When I worked downtown, I ate there everyday. This was all prior to Allison though, so I bet the tunnel looks really different now.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You guys are making me miss downtown....I worked there for 3 years and loved it, the tunnels are great.

My favorite was Treebeard's right near the Penzoil building. They had awesome Muffaletas but last time I was dissapointed to find out they stopped serving them at that location. Zero's does have good sandwiches, you should check it out drox. I really want to work downtown again. :(

13. kpsta

Treebeard's is usually pretty good... chicken fried chicken... butter cake... damn.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Damn I forgot about that butter cake, that stuff is evil. Their jalapeno cornbread is also good.

15. kpsta

If you can't make it downtown anymore... ;)

Treebeard's Butter Cake

This is also known as Neiman Marcus Cake. Treebeard's uses only Pillsbury's cake mix; they've found it makes a big difference, Dan Tidwell, Treebeard's owner, says. For home use, we adapted the recipe to a 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan. If using ovenproof glass, reduce baking temperature to 325 degrees.

1 (2-layer size) package Pillsbury's pudding-included yellow cake mix

4 eggs

1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)

8 ounces cream cheese

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 pound powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Pour cake mix into mixing bowl. Mix in 1 slightly beaten egg and butter to a moist dough consistency. Press mixture evenly in baking pan. In a clean glass bowl, soften cream cheese (can use microwave). Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, remaining eggs and vanilla together until creamy. Beat in sugar gradually, until smooth; this takes several minutes. Pour cream cheese mixture over dough in baking pan.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Watch carefully so base doesn't get too brown. The cheese mixture sinks into the center somewhat, leaving a firmer crust around the edges. Cut into squares to serve. Some cooks sprinkle powdered sugar or pecans over the top of the baked cake or garnish it with fresh strawberries.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, I learned something new today.

17. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Lived here all my life and only heard about the Tunnel a few years ago. I should check it out some time.

18. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Thanks for the advice.

My internship is in the Mayor's office.. so I'm over in the tunnels near City Hall mostly.

19. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

fatty.. that seafood gumbo sounds good...

beck's prime. is somewhere I definitely plan to try since I have yet to have gone there

20. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

Here's what I know to be in the tunnels:

Camilles Sidewalk Cafe
    Crescent City Cafe
    Ragin Cajun
    Kim Son
    Irma's Southwest
    Droubi's Mediterranean (sp) Food
    La Dolce Vita (small place but good salads)
    Becks Prime
    Schlotsky's
    Subway
    Treebeards (definitely a favorite of mine--although I usually eat at the Market Square location)

I'm sure there are a ton more.....but that's all I can think of now. I love the tunnels!!!