1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best defense at the PF position: Ryan Anderson, Omri Casspi, Chandler Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Oct 13, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I know many wanted to trade Asik for Ryan Anderson.

How is his defense compared to Casspi and Parsons?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ryan Anderson is at best similar defensively, if not worse than Casspi and no where close to Parsons. Trading Asik for anything less than LMA would be pants on head r****ded.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Parsons>>>Casspi>>>>>Anderson

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why are you only comparing Casspi to white players? The correct comparison is to fellow Euro, Ersan Ilyasova.

5. bmd

bmd Member

lol..

I'm comparing players the Rockets already have who are great shooters who could also play PF.

I mention Ryan Anderson because many here were mentioning him as a possible trade for Asik because he could spread the floor. He was talked about a lot, which is why I brought him up.

The downside to Anderson is that his defense isn't great.

So my question is... what would be the point in trading Asik for Ryan Anderson when there are already two players on the Rockets who are capable of playing the PF position and spreading the floor with good shooting and sub-par defense at the 4 spot?

6. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

what if we try our play off line up last year okc series?..
    BEVERLEY
    HARDEN
    CISCO/OC/PARSONS
    PARSONS/OC/CISCO
    HOWARD replace ASIK

7. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The Rox have a lot of young talented options at the PF position, and also Asik. No trade until the smoke clears and we said what each guy is really capable of and how well he fits in whatever lineup McHale employs (it's not always about individual play but how well a player "fits"). Hate to trade away a future Landry or Scola.

8. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

I was gonna post, but then I saw this....

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Casspi is 6-9 and 225. Against almost all starting PF in the league he will be pushed around like a little girl. He has always been viewed as a defensive minus.

10. Carl Herrera

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad point. But if this is your point, you should probably spell it out in the first post of the thread rather than just abruptly asking a question.

The reply to your point is this: We don't really know how good Houston's "spread 4," or frankly any kind of 4, options are. Casspi is unproven outside of 3 preseason games and Parsons didn't play PF (Delfino guarded them when the team went small). In any case, Morey didn't trade Asik all summer long so chance are he is giving status quo a chance and will make moves according to what he sees during the season.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Okay then. That is what I was asking.

You throwing out statistics that mean nothing in regards to Casspi specifically at the 4 spot was pointless. It told us nothing.

And you are wrong that Casspi has always been viewed as a defensive minus.

"...Casspi, who has been coveted for his combination of defense, energy and underrated perimeter shooting by numerous teams after two solid seasons with the Kings."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6722764

12. basketballholic

Cass3 has been viewed as a defensive minus because he has gotten burned playing SF....not PF. He's too slow to be a SF and will always be too slow to be a SF. He's a PF. 225 lbs and has acquitted himself quite well so far playing the 4 spot. He's definitely not too slow to play PF. The only question is is he strong enough? You apparently think he's a panzy. I don't see that. I see a dude that's got some attitude and some nasty and he won't let himself be pushed around. And one more thing....Cass3 has bball intelligence in spades. He'll do just fine playing alongside Dwight and Asik. I'm not promoting him. But from what I am seeing he has as good a chance to start at the 4 for this team when we spread it out as anybody.

13. Carl Herrera

I wonder how much of Casspi people here have really seen before commenting on what he is or is not good at. Most of us do not spend the last 4 years breaking down videos of the crappy Kings and Cavs games.

What we do know is that the Rockets front office, who are diligent about scouting and have spend time breaking down videos of the Kings and Cavs, signed Casspi to a contract (minimum, but guaranteed) hoping he'll be a good fit for the "Delfino" role. We also know that Morey has said that he considers Casspi a plus defender right after Casspi signed.

They could be wrong, of courses, but right now I trust the Rockets front office's opinion on this matter, particularly since Casspi has done nothing to contradict what Morey said while in a Houston uniform.

14. basketballholic

Didn't watch him at CLE. But did study him at Sac. Knew back then he'd never be able to defend 3's. He's only going to get bigger and a little slower as he ages.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. He so far has been a non-entity after his rookie season. But Morey's team's little fingers have more comprehensive analysis available than the entire fan base.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We already have our best defense at the 4. T. Jones and D-Mo.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Pretty much CBL. They have looked much improved this season. What do you think?

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Surprisingly, I like our options at the 4 right now. I think you've gotta get Casspi at least 15 min a night as a stretch 4. Jones and DMo have both improved. I'm not as worried as I was 3 months ago.

19. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

1) The 8! simplification is wrong on at least three levels.
    a) A significant number of lineups are wildly improbably, and could be removed with simple tree pruning (reduces size)
    b) It ignores simple variation in a lineup over time for things like player conditioning or injuries (e.g. shot distribution in lineup may have a significant variation from the first five minutes to the last five minutes, so total time on floor affects results) (increases size)
    c) It ignores opposing lineups, which can also significantly affect shot distribution within a lineup

Most significantly, deciding whether to upgrade the PF position based on ~5 shots available to the PF ignores the impact of an upgraded PF, who would justifiably command more shots due to his higher efficiency than the current players taking those shots.

The overall idea that upgrading offense should not be our priority, as we already have high efficiency for the shots we are taking is entirely valid, but narrowing the focus to the PF position doesn't work.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Best would be a Ben Wallace type