1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Board Games of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Raise your Trouble with
    [​IMG]
    When everything was going "pop-o-matic"!

[​IMG]

2. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

Games of the Generals anyone?

3. engr chris

engr chris Member

Snakes and Ladders :D

[​IMG]

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Loved that one... that was the Stratego on Steroids game with the electronic interface to determine battle outcomes instead of revealing pieces as you would in Stratego, yes?

VERY fun game, actually, even if it was a rip from Stratego.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Whoops, missed this one. Yes, played it a bunch, and loved it.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Did anyone else play the "NFL Strategy" game back in the '70's. We used to love that game.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Chess. too bad there is not much money in it, or I could have made some money on the side.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Hey Jeremiah. I just sent you an email. I had two addresses in my contact list for you, one a yahoo address and one for gmail. Let me know if you got it. Thanks.

9. worzel gummidge

Monoply, Game of Life, and Crossbows & Catapults.

10. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

QFT......love this game

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Board game or toy game? Not that there should be a distinction, or that there was even any strategy to it :) Still was fun

Did anyone ever actually play the board game part for Mouse Trap?
    [​IMG]

12. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Some games that haven't been listed that I loved as a kid:
    Weapons and Warriors (a game of destroying things)
    Blurt
    13 Dead End Drive (Clue/Mouse Trap hybrid... personal favorite)

...haven't played these games in about 8 years, but would probably still be fun now

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i went to this vegan place nearby my apt last night for dinner with my roommates, they had board games there that people could play while waiting for dinner or after dinner. it was a cool concept.

they had Risk I sooo wanted to play but neither of my roommates wanted to play. They said they didnt like the game.

14. Jimes

Jimes Member

I just played Settlers of Catan a couple times with my family last week, and it is my favorite board game right now beating out chess. I like Taboo and Guesstures a lot too but I put those in the party game category. Does Mafia count??

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

D & D, Speed Chess, Warhammer

16. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just picked this up and it's freaking awesome. It's like a tabletop version of Heroes of Might and Magic. 1-4 players (I played the solo game, it's super fun)

[​IMG]

Very complex setup but I found it intuitive once I grasped the rules.

[​IMG]

18. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rCwn1NTK-50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  19. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Just got this as well. Haven't played a full game but I can already tell it is gonna be good. Hoping to play with people this weekend.

As far as best board games just go to boardgamegeek.com. Twilight Struggle is deserving of the top spot. Very good game. I really enjoy Cosmic Encounter, Race for the Galaxy, and Settlers of Catan will always have a soft spot.

1 person likes this.
  20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The current top 10 list on boadgamegeek.com which has entries for 58,477 games:

#10:Caylus - one of the first worker placement genre games, plays 2-5 players, each player trying to score points by contributing the most to building a castle for the king. It is a chess like game in that there is minimal luck involved. There is an IoS app for the game with AI and multiplayer options, and you can play on www.brettspielwelt.de for free

#9 Dominion: Intrigue- The first stand alone expansion for Dominion, a card game where you create your deck as you go along with more powerful cards in an effort to buy cards that give you points at the end of the game. There is a free IoS app on itunes for the original. Also available on www.brettspielwelt.de for free play online.

#8 Brass: Haven't tried this one, but according to the description: Your goal in Brass is to build cotton mills, coal mines, iron works, canals, ports and shipyards, and to have them used so that they score points. Your choices will be limited by the cards you draw, but not as much as by the plans you make. Lots of interesting detail in the historical Lancashire setting.

#7 Le Havre: Another I haven't tried yet, here is the official description:
    In Le Havre, a player's turn consists of two parts: First, distribute newly supplied goods onto the offer spaces; then take an action. As an action, players may choose to either take all the goods of one type from an offer space or to use one of the available buildings. Building actions allow players to upgrade goods, sell them, or use them to build their own buildings and ships. Buildings are both an investment opportunity and a revenue stream, as players must pay an entry fee to use buildings that they do not own. Ships, on the other hand, are primarily used to provide the food that is needed to feed the workers.

After every seven turns, the round ends: Players' cattle and grain may multiply through a Harvest, and players must feed their workers. After a fixed number of rounds, each player maycarry out one final action, and then the game ends. Players add the value of their buildings and ships to their cash reserves. The player with the largest fortune wins.

#6 Eclipse: One of the new games on the scene, it is currently sold out. Each player controls an alien race and is trying to explore, research and conquer the galaxy.

#5 Power Grid: The object of Power Grid is to supply the most cities on the board with power by the time when someone's network reaches a predetermined size. You are working to aquire the raw materials to power your plants, bid on new plants, and constantly opening up better technology as an option to buy. You have to balance upgrading your plants for maximum efficiency with retaining enough wealth to expand your network to get the cheapest routes.

#4 Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization: A civilization building game where the goal is to develop your civ, not destroy other ones. Military strength is just one aspect of your nation, as well as population, production, or science. It is up to you to balance these and choose which ones to focus on without ignoring the others.

#3 Puerto Rico: Produce crops and use those crops to trade for money which you can use to buy buildings and give your self points, the ability to produce higher income crops, and/or other advantages in future turns, or ship your crops for points. managing your actions and resources is key. App is available on IoS and it can be played online at www.brettspielwelt.de

#2 Agricola: The current most popular worker placement game, each player is working to build the most impressive farm, and has to balance feeding your workers with taking actions to improve the farm in the future and collecting resources for buildings, fences, barns and livestock. The theme doesn't sound exciting to most people going in, but I haven't had any fan of strategy games play it and not enjoy themselves.

#1 Twilight Struggle: Cold war era strategy game for two players covering the time period from 1945 to 1989.

Some of my personal favorites that are not on the top 10 list include:

Cyclades- mythological Greek armies fight over islands

Lords of Waterdeep, a great entry level worker placement game where you act as one of the lords of waterdeep and collect different types of adventurers to send out on quests to score points, while also building buildings in the city and trying to slow your opponents plans. It has more random elements than most of the games here, but it's still pretty skill oriented over all, and it is easy to learn and easy to teach, as well as playing in about an hour and a half.

I have a bunch of other good ones, but those are two that we have played recently.

They have a board game night at the Cafe Express off Bay Area in Clear Lake every Tuesday night, and there is one at the Barnes and Nobles across the street most Wednesdays for people in the Clear Lake area who want to try out new games or play something they own. People start ariving around 6 pm at Cafe Express and 6:30 at Barnes and Nobles, though sometimes they arrive earlier, and it usually goes til about 9 pm.