1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Board Games of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Jul 12, 2009.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Too bad you suck at it. :p

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Suck at it? oh right, because you cheat. I forgot.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Not my fault you never see the sneak attack on pearl harbor coming.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfr7YYAHlVU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfr7YYAHlVU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Candyland and Operation!!!

6. CrazyDave

Hey, look, I get distracted easily, OK?! Besides, is it so wrong to hope one day they'll try to remain more peaceful?

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Wow, so many to choose from, in no particular order, favs bolded:

1) scrabble - still my favorite, still challenging and as fun as it was 15 years ago
    2) monopoly - used to be fun, it just gets so boring after everything has been sold/bought
    3) crossfire - was my all time favorite for a few months, then got old
    4) sorry - surprised it hasn't been mentioned!
    5) upwords - a lot of fun, not sure if it even exists anymore
    6) battleship - never got old...you'll never find my PT Boat!!
    7) guess who - fun because it was quick, but got old asking the same questions over and over
    8) balderdash - a ton of fun if you have enough people
    9) clue - another one that's a lot of fun if you have a few people
    10) yahtzee - still play this to this day everyone once in a while
    11) don't break the ice - only played a few times, but really enjoyed it
    12) connect four - another short but fun one that took some strategy
    13) trouble - a lot like sorry, but with less skill involved, so it takes a back seat
    14) scene it - dunno if this really counts, but it's a lot of fun if you have a few people to play it with
    15) operation - like crossfire, was fun for a while, then got old, but it is a classic
    16) pictionary - didn't get to play it much, but it was definitely enjoyable

Honorable mentions, if they all count: Twister, Skip-Bo (would be in my favorites, but I figured it's not really a board game, now that I think about it, Yahtzee probably isn't either, oh well), Uno (same as Skip-Bo), Hungry Hungry Hippos, Mouse Trap, chess, and checkers.

Pugs

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Next time we play we'll try setting up the game then just sit there and get high. :cool:

9. CrazyDave

Think of the board game lives that could be saved... national reputations in tact... of course, if the game is to go that way, we should let the world leaders know before we set up all those pieces.

10. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

For those who want to learn Go, a tutorial:
    http://playgo.to/interactive/

For those who can't find someone to play with, the best English Go Server:
    http://www.gokgs.com/
    (free, very usable client and very talkative atmosphere)

To add to Fatty's post, Go made cameos in the movies "Pi" and "A Beautiful Mind" (though board position made no sense and thus the character Nash's positional judgement is a joke amongst Go players).

Trying to program AI to defeat an decent Go amateur has not been achieved yet. This is partly just due to the size of a regular Go board (19x19) resulting in 3^361 endgame positions. Although this is the greatest upper bound and ignores symmetries and impossible positions, you can get an idea of how astronomically high the number of possible endgame positions are. Another poor figure is 361!, describing the number of games in terms of paths. This value also ignores symmetries and impossible moves, but it also ignores things such as replaying on intersections of taken stones. The brute force method of solving Go is still many many years away.

There is one other reason it is difficult to program Go AI. I want to say it is because the games exhibits "chaotic tendencies." Reversi/Othello is another game that does this well; high-level games of Go and Reversi are often said "to flow" like watching two liquids develop around each other. Again it is because the rules are so simple and there are no constraints. The values of every stone on the board changes every time a move is played and it is up to the player to interpret how a stone's worth or cluster of stones' worth and potential has been altered.

Chess does exhibit these tendencies but has constraints. It is argued that even if Chess were on a comparable sized board (18x18,20x20 etc depending on how you double pieces), viable openings would quickly be constrained because how valuable the center is (mobility) and how the queen/king have such large initial fixed values.

Warning to anyone who wants to take it up - extremely addictive and months upon years of possible pleasure/frustration before the average player gets a decent level of understanding.

1 person likes this.
  11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Insert Rod Benson joke here.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Civilization
    Britannia
    Magic Realm
    Kremlin
    Settlers of Cataan
    Axis and Allies was fun, but a little skewed toward an Ally win

13. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I can't believe I forgot about Cranium and Quelf. Those are fun. And you don't even have to be drunk! But it's better that way.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We always like games like Outburst or Taboo when we had a bunch of family at our house.

My cousins and I also spent hours playing some risk-style game called Conquest of the Empire or something like that. It was pretty fun. We made our own rules too.

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Statis Pro Baseball
    Strat-O-Matic Football
    Foto-Electric Football
    Mattel Talking Football

And I don't know if Electric Football and Rod Hockey are considered board games but, they both rule.

16. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

My favorite as a child.

[​IMG]

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JENGA!!!!!!!!!

18. stra

stra Member

Descent Journeys in the dark
    Fury of Dracula
    Battlestar Galactica
    Struggle of Empires
    A Game of Thrones

For those interested in fun strategy games for adults (and intelligent kids) check out www.fantasyflightgames.com

For those that are more curious about boardgames in general check out www.boardgamegeek.com . It has more than a million registered users and more than 30,000 games in the database all with descriptions, images, reviews etc.

A little warning.. many of the users are really into the hobby so trying to say candyland or some mainstream kids game like that that are not a worthy time for a thinking person to spend time on is better than so and so will probably be ridiculed.

Just like if someone went into clutchfans and raved about that Zach Randolph is better than Hakeem or something.

Geek out.. :p

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

as a kid my best friend and I had epic battles playing Axis & Allies and Risk.

those two were some of my favorites as long as you had a buddy willing to invest the time into playing it.

i enjoyed

clue
    sorry
    life
    Jenga

nowadays i like playing the trivial pursuit/cranium type games

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An outstanding post! Truly a pleasure to read. Another thing folks might not know is that a tie is possible in Go. It happened once to me in a match I had with my cousin, many years ago. We couldn't believe it, not realizing (at the time) that it was possible. Countless games played between us and that one, crazy tie. I wish I'd thought to photograph the board.