1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Austin Beer (Breweries and Beer Pubs)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chrisjent, Feb 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

My list...feel free to weigh in one!

Ranking the Best Breweries in Austin:
    1. Live Oak
    2. Jester King
    3. 512
    4. Independence
    5. Austin BeerWorks
    6. Thirsty Planet
    7. Circle Brewing

Yet to have Hops&Grain (Just opened up a few weeks back).

Been to all the brewery tours except Austin BeerWorks and Hop&Grain.

Jester King is far and away the best for a tour...great location on a working farm in Dripping Springs.

Ranking the Best Brew Pubs in Austin (i.e. make their own beer):
    1. DraughtHouse
    2. NXNW
    3. Black Star Coop
    4. Uncle Billy's
    5. LoveJoy's

2. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

On addition...wasn't sure whether to include Real Ale since it technically isn't in the surrounding Austin area (being located in Blanco)...should they be included I'd put them in at #3 ahead of 512 and just behind Jester King. They're the oldest in the area and have a tons of variety.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Circle is my favorite followed by Independence. I like their ambers.

I also like the Flix Brewhouse in RR. Nice place to watch a movie and drink a beer.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I live less then 5 min walk from nxnw so I go there somewhat often and I give it a thumbs up.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Flix is a cool place and they have some good beers. A bit overpriced but still a cool night out.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I miss Celis.

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Austin BeerWorks is in a class by itself for me right now. Not only did somebody finally make a fantastic local Pilsner available in package, they pioneered the local can scene.

Live Oak gets credit for bringing the Pilz (Czech style) to the local market. However, the rift between Chip and Brian (who is now the brewmaster at Billy's Brew & Cue) has left that brewery a shell of its former self. Not to mention the fact that Chip opted for expansion over package in the late 90s. Sadly, that might just spell the end of Live Oak.

Real Ale is the benchmark at this point. When Brad (full disclosure: a great old friend of mine) bought the brewery from Phillip, he put it on the map. What he has done with what was once a tiny basement on the square in Blanco is nothing short of amazing. While they continue to churn out the highest volume in Texas (sorry, Shiner...you don't count), most of their offerings just aren't my style. However, I have it on good faith (read: insider information) that the Hans Pils will be available in package (bottles) this spring (in addition to draft). Their other seasonals and specialty ales are amazing as well.

Jester King has to get some credit for challenging the TABC and their antiquated labeling laws. I haven't had a beer from them that made me want to make it a part of my regular arsenal.

The rest...
    I enjoy 512's IPA and Porter. Independence had a rough start and suffer from possibly the worst labeling ever. Hops and Grains doesn't really make anything I care for...yet. Not too familiar with Circle. South Austin Brewing opens this week, I believe.

Brew Pubs
    NXNW makes some of the best beers, in my opinion. Their Pale Ale is the closest thing to The Bitter End's Austin Pale Ale (R.I.P.). Kevin also makes two seasonal Pilsners. His spring offering is a Czech style and his late summer version is of the German variety. His specialty ales are usually great as well. He's come along way from being a bartender at The Bitter End...
    Black Star Coop is a fantastic place. Jeff makes some high quality -- if esoteric and sometimes unapproachable -- ales. They don't have the capacity to make lagers yet. The food really separates Black Star from the others. Some of the traditional "pub grub" staples are taken to the next level. The specials are amazing. Also, their concept is brilliant. I hope their model is copied. A lot.
    Draught House is a great beer pub. Their brews are lacking. The food is basically terrible. The staff is amazing.
    Uncle Billy's has one of the best brewers in Texas: Brian Peters. He was a founder of Live Oak and responsible for the Pilsner revolution (still unrealized) in Texas. The food isn't bad either.
    Lovejoy's. Sadly, this place is completely off the map for me these days. It's been years...

It's amazing how far the brew scene has come in this area. Most of the "first wave" breweries and brew pubs are long gone. Casualties of an uneducated public combined with lack of knowledge/skill spelled the end for most of them (Balcones Fault, Waterloo, Copper Tank, Bosque, Yellow Rose) and others had their fate decided by "progress" (The Bitter End).

Incidentally, Austin BeerWorks has their first "public tour and tasting" today.
    http://austinbeerworks.eventbrite.com/
    I'll likely be there by 5:00...

Cheers.

8. the futants

I can't believe I didn't mention Celis! R.I.P., Pierre...

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thinly disguised "H-town/St.Arnolds is meh" thread.

10. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

11. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Anybody make it to the South Austin Brewing Company tour today? It was their first. As far as I can tell, they're only brewing two beers at this time.

I'd also be interested to hear how folks enjoyed the Austin Beerworks tour yesterday...also their first as futants noted.

Looking ahead, Hops&Grain has a free event tomorrow (along with Yume Burger) for those looking to fill a few hours in the afternoon.

As an FYI, other tours:
    Live Oak (every Saturday...must sign up online in advance)
    Independence (first Saturday of the month)
    Thirsty Planet (every Saturday...must register in advance)
    Jester King (every Saturday)
    Real Ale (every Friday)
    Hops&Grain (every Friday and Saturday)
    512 (had been sporadic, not sure of current schedule)
    Austin BeerWorks (every Friday starting this past week)
    Circle Brewery (like 512, has been sporadic, uncertain of current schedule)

Most of these tours are free, with usually 3-4 tastings...often though it's best to buy a pint glass for $5-10, for bigger/better pours than just a taster.

12. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

How would the Coppertank have rated on today's list? Used to go there a lot when I was at UT but that was nigh 10 years ago and it's long since closed down...

13. the futants

Copper Tank was terrible even by the standards of the day.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

circle blur

live oak hef

15. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

FWIW, the Live Oak Hefe is the highest rated Austin brewed beer (not counting specialty/limited run offerings) on BeerAdvocate.