1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best area of Austin to live?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by forchette49, Sep 18, 2007.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Moving to Austin next Spring and was wondering if my fellow clutchfans could give me some insight on the city. From the research I'm doing, it sounds like NW Austin is definately the place to start (although pricy) and SE Austin is definately the place NOT to be... Comments, thoughts, suggestions, tips?

Thanks in advance!

Btw, M/28, avid Rockets fan of course...

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

West Lake Hills...

#2 A-Train, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. University Blue

When I was a student, I always wanted to live in Clarkesville. It had a high occupancy, so I settled for the next best thing: the Heights.

4. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Anyplace west of 35. Try not to live north or south of where you work as to avoid traffic hour on 35 which is all day.

5. Tracy McIverson

it depends on how old u are, if ur young/college age, north campus is good. if ur in ur late 20s, there are some badass lofts downtown, otherwise try any area near barton springs or zilker park, its nice over there, i live in south austin, its not bad, just dont go too far south

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Southwest Austin is the best place to live, close in to downtown, less traffic and great areas to raise a family.

Particularly Circle C.

:)

Westlake is snooty !

DD

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

West Campus for people watching.

Three words: walk of shame

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you have a family, SW and NW austin is the best. If you are single and have kids, anywhere near the city is nice but also very expensive.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

how much are you willing to pay in rent?

will you have roommates or live alone?

are you in school?

do you have a car?

do you want a house or apartment?

i live just east of I-35 in cherrywood and its great - huge 3 bedroom house w/ big-ass yard for $1200.

if you are coming here and dont have a family you are going to want to be central. if you want to live in the suburbs just stay where you are. austin is quickly becoming houston jr.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

true dat

11. forchette49

around $800

I'll be living alone

I'm going back to school at ACC, online mostly as I will be working...

Yes, a 2004 Dodge

I'm looking to rent an apt.

I'm single, with no family, 28 years old (how sweet is that)... When you say central, do you mean downtown, I hear with all the construction recently (highrises), thats a pain to be around...

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No way you can afford to live downtown for $800, most of the downtown living is condos etc...

Austin is NOT Houston....not even close.....BUD !

DD

13. Tracy McIverson

14. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

westlake is the nicest place to live in austin. i'm not sure what your budget is but if money isn't an issue, i'd look for a place in westlake.

15. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

We've recently moved from SW Austin (near Slaughter and Brodie) to NW Austin (Near Duval and Mopac) and we love our new area so much more. If you look in SW Austin, go it's nicer west of Mopac. We have a ten year old son and we let him roam the neighborhood up here but we wouldn't let him off of the block when we lived down south.

Either way, I grew up in Houston, but I love Austin. It's a beautiful town and I think you'll enjoy living here.

16. forchette49

No, I don't think I want to live downtown, it looks like it'll either be NW or SW and I'm just trying to rate the pros and cons of each area. Some people have even said Round Rock and Georgetown are nice, now that's TOO far away from the city IMO... I don't really need to live and breathe 6th St., but if I'm moving to Austin from Florida, I'd like to be immersed in all the city has to offer still, ya know?

17. jo mama

$800 is good - you should have no problem getting an apartment in a good central location. central doesnt mean downtown - i would avoid all those new condos and crap. you could definitely get something in hyde park on your budget (apartment or even garage apt). its a great neighborhood w/ park and free pool, good basketball court, coffee shop and grocery store (fresh plus) and lots of cute girls walking around. there is a big complex on 45th and duval - cant remember the name - cool complex and in your price range.

south central is in your range too - there are some apartments off south 1st and barton springs. or travis heights - good complex right on I-35 b/t woodland and oltorff that i used to live in.

18. jo mama

have you taken a walk on w. 6th lately?

19. jo mama

do NOT move to the suburbs. you can definitely afford to live central.

20. forchette49

How's Rollingwood just to the South?