1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best anti-speeding ad ever?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yonkers, Jan 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hub4pvMliDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's the whole idea of defensive driving and 100% why my driving habits have done a complete 180 as I've gotten older. As in, I pretty much follow the law now and drive safe... and of course didn't as a teenager / early 20's guy.

Cause even if I believe I was driving fast "safely" - which was part truth (never did it drunk, never was doing crazy in and out of traffic, etc... just a little fast for the most part) and part stupidity as there's no way to really do it safely - I knew for damn sure a lot of my friends were just maniacs out there.

So I just try and drive defensively now... even if it means speeding now and then... it's done so very very defensively.

3. Ashes

Ashes Member

Chilling ad.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

All about defensive driving.

Even though I have a radar detector etc. I rarely speed anymore. Last ticket I got I was going the posted speed on HW 59 @ 75mph, but didn't realize it just dropped to 60 because of an 18 wheeler was in the slower lane (with another 18 wheeler ahead of him). I missed the sign.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Common sense needs to be used. Usually I drive as fast as I feel comfortable, which is usually a few miles over the limit. There are some zones that I drive quite a bit slower. Realizing the stupidity of people out there has made me drive much safe.

6. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

That old joke is absolutely right. 'Everybody driving faster than you is a maniac, everybody driving slower than you is a moron'. I've been inattentive on the road before, and when I realised I was it was a terrifying realisation.

7. dragician

dragician Member

Before you step on your gas pedal to drive everyday, always think that there's a lot of stupid drivers out there. Be extra careful.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Is no one going to question the stupidity of the father in that ad?

He stops. Clearly sees the car coming. And proceeds to take the turn anyways.

Also, the guy in the other car couldn't swerve to the other lane?

I agree with the message, of course.

9. platypus

platypus Member

I drive safely, I just hate the jackasses on Tollways that tailgate you going 80-90 expecting you to match their speed. I got an expensive ticket going 75 on the I-10 HOV lane and whenever i get an ******* tailgating me I give no ****s.

They can either pass me up if they choose or slow down.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

You should probably get out of the left lane, at least. Ideally, we'd have speed minimums instead. Even if everybody was going around 90 MPH, if you had one person, regardless of which lane they're in, going 85 MPH, it would cause traffic. The perfect system would force traffic at the front of the crowd to speed up to create space. Just my two cents though!

11. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Yeah there's a great deal of danger out there on the roads. But you can cut that risk in half if you don't make a mistake yourself.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I hope you're not cruising in the left lane. Because then those tailgaters aren't the assholes in that situation.

13. dmc89

dmc89 Member

That's the point of the ad. Others make mistakes. Speed kills regardless of who was the 'better' driver in this kind of scenario. It may not have seemed that way to you, but if you drive at 70 mph like in the ad there's a minimum swerving/braking distance.

I saw a similar accident happen near IAH years ago. The speed limit on JFK Blvd/Greens Rd is ~50 mph, but the flow was 55-60mph. A car (tourists?) pulled out from a parking lot trying to get to a u-turn, but it severely miscalculated how fast we all were coming. That was a sickening lesson of conservation of momentum; it ended with a crunch of metal and glass, and burning rubber. It wouldn't have been as bad at 35 mph where the minimum braking distance is 50% less and reaction-time increases 25-30%.

Our brains change in very important ways in regards to risk-taking between puberty and 21 years of age for women and 25 years of age for men. A good education, career, and spouse/children make you slow down and obey the law. You appreciate your life investments and know what your speeding will cost you.

My neighbor bought an M3 for his teenage son. :rolleyes: I've seen the kid speed recklessly in his pickup truck, and he's the sort that throws loud parties while his parents are away. Teenagers can become dangerous when too many pile in one car. The windows roll down, the country/hip hop music is blaring, and the driver equates his masculinity to how much he can speed so as to impress the females in the group. I'm fearful for what the boy may do to himself and the public in that car.

14. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Indeed there are a ton of stupid drivers on the road. I get pretty angry, but I've been suppressing it lately. One of these days I'm gonna snap lol

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i know way too many people now who have died in car accidents. both of my maternal grandparents (accident was in 1960), 4 former classmates, 2 of my moms' friends' kids, a guy i met at a meetup a few months ago. i'm sure there have been others i knew. it's just not worth it. i go the speed limit and only use the left lane for passing, although there's always that ******* trying to go 90 who slams their brakes dramatically when you dare to invade their lane.

**** can change forever in an instant. running red lights and speeding excessively doesn't seem like a big deal until you wake up very unlucky one day.

16. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Consider a ~3000 pound car going at 60mph colliding into another car with aluminium framing - much of that momentum will be
    transferred to the 150-200 pound individual at impact. Your body will take many thousands of pounds of force at once and body will fly tens of feet per second. Simple Physics 101 should be able to convince people to slow down and stop driving like idiots but these are usually the same that don't respect science.

The commercial is great but would never fly in the US because of the ridiculous double standard censorship here.