1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best 70's Band?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Aug 5, 2009.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i saw them play the Mississippi River Festival at Southern Illinois U., in '74 or '75- they warmed up for Blood, Sweat and Tears. kinda like having Grand Funk open for Joni Mitchell.

2. worzel gummidge

Would bands like Pere Ubu, PiL, Wire, and Suicide be more 80s than 70s?

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Good grief- this topic has spawned many polls. And they are not happy.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Yea, although their first 2 albums werre from the '70s, PIL was more 80's. Thats when they really flourished.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

One other band I am going to mention that I feel was underrated and by no means am I saying that they were the best '70s band but a band I love to listen to from time to time is America's only true prog rock band in Kansas. Their first 5 albums are surprisingly strong.

6. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I agree to a point. There was a transition period when NO still had that JD sound, i.e. "Ceremony". IMO, the unique Joy Division sound is more timeless, remaining fresh to this day, holding their own against any "alternative" rock band out there now.

RIP Ian

7. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Just to throw some female rockers out there, the Runaways and Blondie.

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Led Zeppelin
    Steely Dan
    Roxy Music
    ABBA
    The Spinners
    Fleetwood Mac
    The Isley Brothers
    Rolling Stones
    Sly and The Family Stone

9. Win

Win Contributing Member

PLEASE.... it's Mott the Hoople.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

11. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I was merely trying to point out that New Order is not a contender for "Best 70s Band" since they did not exist in that decade.

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I had the same thoughts about the Farrah poster.

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I will punch someone in the mouth if they put down the Bee Gee's. Say want you want, but they made some great music, long before disco. Not everyone's taste for sure, but not bash worthy.

Even KISS went disco:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNGNLo8K6Fk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNGNLo8K6Fk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

ok ok, so if we're going to talk influential, or even before their time, how about Big Star?

1 person likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Styx?

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vquusVqcUdw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vquusVqcUdw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow -- I was just talking with Mrs. B-Bob about this thread and she mentioned Big Star. When she first played them for me, I was like 'meh,' but now I can see how damned influential they really were. Love 'em.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We already determined that they should not appear in this mortals thread. Now, if in the Styx forum...

Respect.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The Replacements wrote a song called "Alex Chilton." The theme for That 70s Show was based on Big Star's "In The Street." Enough said. Big Star kicks a**.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Styx started out somewhat progressive but quickly morphed into an arena/corporate rock band in the veins of Journey, Foreigner, Toto, and Loverboy (Asia and Supertramp are sometimes lumped in with those groups). Kansas eventually went that route, too (really started with Steve Walsh's departure) but they were progressive pretty much the entire '70s.