1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best 70's Band?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Aug 5, 2009.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I agree with what you're saying, Manny, and don't deny their influence in any way, but influencing other bands wouldn't be my criteria for making you the best.

But, cool, mention them away : ) think I will listen to some now... and then maybe some Residents, who, while I think they are genius, I wouldn't have mentioned them as the best 70's band... but again, it's all about criteria.

1 person likes this.
  2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Zeppelin is the greatest band of the 70s, but it is downright un-American that the Allman Brothers have not been mentioned yet.

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Yes. They were a band in the 70s.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Hey, that's my opinion from the many individuals I've spoken to over the years who don't like The Who. The words that usually come up are sloppy and undisciplined. I completely disagree, but that's my opinion. And I didn't say everyone was like that, but many are. Again, I come from the school of looking at the positive rather than the negative when it comes to music. I see the value and greatness in bands as diverse in popularity, style of music, etc. as The Who, Sweet, Roxy Music, the Sunshine Band, the O'Jays, Wings, and Black Sabbath.

And I never said anything about anyone not being great musicians- those are your words. I simply regurgitated what I've heard from numerous people over the past 25+ years, because music is a topic that almost inevitably comes up when you're sitting at Sam's Boat working on your 6th pitcher of beer (along with other topics not to be mentioned here). I think in some respects, it's harder to come up with "simple" as opposed to complex. Which was more difficult, "Satisfaction" or "Stairway to Heaven"? Who knows? My whole point was to present the typical arguments against The Who- which, to me, are silly- exactly, who cares about separately? Well, some do- like the person who said to me several years ago, "You know, I'd like the Who if it wasn't for the drummer- just all over the place and I just can't get into them." Or, how many people do you know who don't like Rush solely or mostly because they can't stand Geddy Lee's voice? Or hate G&R because of Axl? So, to some, separate does matter.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, Manny. I have NOT heard God in Three Persons. Really love Eskimo, Buster, and Third R&R. I have some Beefheart, but for some reason have never come around to Zappa. It's so much music of the mind (to my ears anyway), where the Residents are in the hindbrain and the gut. It's almost like some weird pre-humans making music. Plus, the Residents are (supposedly?) from Louisiana!

In the Residents vein, I have really warmed to the more modern album Sung Tongs from Animal Collective. A more tribal version of the childlike Residents.

6. B-Bob

Just for Unknown Pleasures (79 I think). I think they were Warsaw for everything before that. I love them, but no way they belong in this discussion.

7. Fatty FatBastard

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=75244&highlight=zeppelin

Personally, I'll take The Who over Led Zeppelin any day. Much like my Jimmy Buffett and Pink Floyd phase, my interest in their music faded very quickly.

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Zeppelin first. Floyd a close second.

9. dianap07

dianap07 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTvUT_Hx4Dc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTvUT_Hx4Dc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:p :D

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The Allman Brothers and The Eagles have nothing on these country rock masters:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A81fwLNklSM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A81fwLNklSM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you cannot talk about rock in the '70s w/o mentioning (if not the greatest band) the greatest song from that era:

[​IMG]

12. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Joy Division DOES NOT EQUAL New Order. Sorry.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Any band that existed in the 70s can "belong" in the conversation. This is an opinion-based discussion, right? New Order does not belong in the conversation because they were not a band until 1980.

The Residents are a pretty good entry into the discussion, by the way.

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And we can't forget Amazing Blondel

[​IMG]

15. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Zeppelin a 60's band :confused: :confused: what?

16. B-Bob

That's true on technical merits. Sorry. Ian Curtis would be happy-- er, strike that.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Cool, I understand where you are coming from.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to B-Bob again."

Oh and thanks for the follow-up post on the Residents!

19. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

well stairway had a way more complex chord structure, and overall was a more diverse song, with the quiet soothing guitar progressing into the epic hard rock jam and solo at the end. Satisfaction had pretty basic chords but just had that jammin feel good vibe to it, great drums, great Brass in the background, and of course the good lyrics and melody.

On a theory level you actually can tell which song is more complex, but really, who cares? Its all about the feel and whether one song is more complex than the other doesn't make it better.

20. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Approved!

I actually thought they were Rush when I first heard "Never Been any Reason". Still one of my all time favorites.

I also will mention XTC -- They had some great 70's records.