1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berkman willing to take steroid test

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by El_Conquistador, Jul 10, 2002.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Berkman: Weight work, no steroids

By Rod Beaton, USA TODAY

MILWAUKEE — Lance Berkman admits he takes additives. "Pizza," the Houston Astros slugger says. He says he does not take steroids, never has, never will. His 29 home runs and 81 RBI this season were generated organically. "I'll lift weights after a game," he says. "We (Astros) have a great strength and conditioning coach." He says those reasons help explain his sudden arrival among the game's best power hitters. "I don't take vitamins," he says. "My diet is not the greatest. I'll eat a piece of pizza."

He also takes a slice of pitches. He has punished pitching since he starred at Rice University through 1997. It took him just 287 games in the minors to reach the majors and to start there with immediate expectations.

"Usually, you break in to bat sixth or seventh if you're a power hitter," Berkman says. "Dirk (former Astros manager Larry Dierker) put me in the four-hole right away. I had to learn on the fly. You hit fourth or fifth in a lineup, you are expected to be a run producer, score runs and drive in runs."

He does all that and, because he does that with a massive body (6-1, 205), people talk.

"If you're a little bit fat like I am, people will say it's steroids," Berkman says. "You can't do anything about it so you do your best. There were guys who hit a lot of home runs long before steroids came along. If someone wants me to take a test, I'll take one. ... I know I'm clean.

"People say 50% of players are on steroids. I think that is ridiculous, but obviously there are people who take steroids and play major league baseball. People try to cheat all the time."

==============================================

nice article. Raven Lunatic -- now what do you have to say?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

He just looks regular. Of course he doesn't take anything. He's looks like a tub of goo.

How long does it take steriods to clear your system?

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think Lance Berkman drinks Sprite...

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I think it's pretty obvious that Lance doesn't take steroids. All those other players that took steroids started off as stick thin outfielders and ended up monsterous dh's.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, quit confusing me with someone else. I have said all along that I thought Lance wasn't on steroids, just that I acknowledged the possibility that he was....you know, like how a person might acknowledge the possibility of time travel. I never thought Lance was on the roids simply because his easy going attitude never really fit with the uncontrolled temper of many other steroid users.

6. deepellumrocket

Like someone who would get mad enough to throw his bat and glare at a pitcher after striking out in an All-Star Game.

7. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I missed most of the All Star game...did Lance do this?

8. deepellumrocket

No, Sammy did.

9. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Aha...now that doesn't surprise me. :)

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Yeah, and did you see his glare in HR contest. Holy cow. It really looked like he was juiced....

11. moomoo

moomoo Member

'Roid rage!

I for one believe Berkman, I've never really thought he was on steroids. He seems like a player with a Babe Ruth type body. Powerful, but big boned and pudgy, not the Mr. Universe type. However, those other "power" hitters--Sosa, Baggy, Bonds, Cammy, who we all already know was on the juice, and the like--look like inflatable dolls, even after starting out in the majors as relative twigs. They are definitely on 'roids, in my opinion.

Maybe Reilly should have interviewed Lance instead.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

bags and bonds have always been homerun hitters, and pretty big for the past decade. their power numbers have also been very consistent for that time other than bonds' surge last year. imo that was just him being in an incredible zone. this man knows the strike zone as well as any player in history.

now cammi was always a good player but he jumped out of nowhere to being mvp and all-star. he has admitted to steroids, but to no surprise really. a similar situation is sammy, who knew of him for the 9 years he played before the big maris-homerun chase?

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Bonds admitted to taking Creoine, Amino Acid, and other over the counter drugs...I think Creotine should be illegal in baseball they are the same as steroids.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that is completely false. creatine is not an anabolic hormone like steroids. it is produced naturally in the body to supply the muscle with energy, it's also found in small amounts in red meat. steroids is like processed male-testosterone and can be very dangerous. taking it leads to huge gains in ridiculously short times. creatine is stored in the muscles to be used later as energy. when you undergo intense physical activity, like weightlifting, the level of creatine drops unless you're taking a supplement of it. certainly creatine favourably affects your workout but way closer to a multi-vitamin than a steroid.

i'm sure a large sample of any pro-athlete takes this as a supplement. anyone can go buy it anytime right along with some vitamin c or a protein bar. it isn't what you think it is.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It's true. In fact, according to www.drweil.com, Dr. Weil sees no real danger in taking creatine. There are certain fruit juices you should avoid taking creatine with as the two mixed may create a byproduct that is not so good for you, but no other ill effects.

Many body building sites claim that creatine will help you heal faster, build more muscle, and lose tremendous amounts of fat. I don't know if it really works, but I'm sure thinking about adding it to my workout regimen. :)

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I've never taken steroids either. I'll take the test too. Only thing is I don't play sports and no one will care.

17. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

i like sprite.

PhiSlammaJamma:

tub of goo? wow! did you make it to MLB? ;)