1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berkman wants to be traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stacy's knee, May 6, 2010.

1. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/6992188.html

The Astros' clubhouse was dark, lights dimmed to match this dark season.

Some song from Enya's album Only Time, as appropriate a death march composition as has ever been penned, played on the stereo. (Please tell me why anyone with a reason to live would listen to that stuff.)

One of Lance Berkman's teammates had placed a couple of Berkman's bats under a towel, as if the towel were a blanket and the bats were babies that had been rocked to sleep. The idea was that after an afternoon nap, those babies would be wide awake by game time.

Oh, it was sad.

Unfortunately, visitors to the clubhouse might have to suffer through Enya and darkness again today, after Carlos Lee blasted his first home run, a two-run shot in the bottom of the ninth, to lift the Astros to a 4-2 win over the Diamondbacks.

At least the few folks remaining at Minute Maid Park saw a victory on Cinco de Mayo in this sinko of a season in which the nine-win Astros already have had two eight-game losing streaks.

The season has been so ugly that Berkman has had thoughts about it coming to an end — somewhere else.

If you are like me, you have pictured Berkman riding off into the sunset, feted as one of the franchise's all-time greats and a likely Hall of Famer, having hit each of his home runs, scooped up all of those grounders and delivered every one of his often hilarious one-liners in an Astros uniform.

Willing to change plans
    That is the way it is supposed to be. But the veteran first baseman admits he has considered the possibility he might not finish his career as an Astro. In fact, were he in charge — and barring a miracle run over the next couple of months — he might even look to trade himself.

“If it was me and I was running the show here, if we didn't make a great comeback like we did in '05 and be sort of around .500 by the All-Star break, I'd try to trade every veteran I could to reload,” Berkman said. “That's the quickest way you're going to be able to reload and get it going in the right direction.

“As a player, if they came to me and said, ‘Hey, we've got a deal to go to a contender,' I'd take it. Heck, it's only a three- or four-month deal. It's not like I'm signing on for 10 years with another team.”

Berkman is in the final year of his contract, with the team holding a $15 million option for 2011. He wants to retire an Astro, but if things don't pick up and the team comes to him with a trade, he might, in essence, take one for the team.

“I would say yeah,” Berkman said. “I think it would benefit the organization, and in the end, it would be a benefit for whoever it is — whether it's me, or Roy (Oswalt) or Carlos. I'm not saying we're at the point where they should start pulling the plug on us, but they need to start thinking forward. If this thing keeps going like this, they've gotta do something.

“If you're running a team, you don't want to get caught in baseball purgatory — where you're not really getting young and you're not really (competing). Where you're in this deal where every year you're signing a marginal veteran and you just never get in the mix.”

Purgatory? Heck, the Astros have been on a fast-moving elevator to Hades. If they go down a couple more stretches like they already have, the elevator roof could catch fire. The franchise has never had two eight-game skids this early in the season.

“Let's hope that doesn't happen again,” manager Brad Mills said.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Who would want him?

Dude has no killer instinct.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Every team who has a need (Yankees/Red Sox even if they don't have a need) for a 1st baseman or DH in a playoff run. Berkman will get plenty interest with his contract.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At least half of MLB would love to have Berkman playing 1B for them.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

For very little in return. His best days are behind him.

6. Major

Major Member

He'd likely be the best available hitter at the deadline, and could play 1B, DH, and possibly LF/RF if absolutely necessary. There would be plenty of demand for Berkman near the deadline.

7. juicystream

You are crazy. His best days may be over, but he's still a very productive player. And he has produced in the playoffs.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I can somewhat see it with basketball, but I never thought I'd see the phrase "killer instinct" applied to baseball. Wow, wow, wow. Can you elaborate on just how a baseball player would show "killer instinct"? I'm really curious.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

He doesn't get upset when his team is losing.

He Isn't the leader in the club house.

He may be productive and I know teams will want him but at this point in his career we will be selling him at an all time low.

10. juicystream

I think he does get upset by losing, just not like Roy. He is a leader in our clubhouse, but playoff contenders aren't trading for a leader, but rather someone to push them over the top.

11. juicystream

The Texas Rangers would actually be a great fit, since Smoak is struggling as a rookie, but is the long-term solution for them.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

Well I haven't seen/heard anything to make me think that A) he's upset B) He's a leader. Sad to say Tejada had more fire than this guy.

Berkman push a team over the top? not likely.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You can't list 10 teams that are getting worse from their 1B this year. He is below average in all categories.

14. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I wish they would trade the vets for young talent, they would be more watchable.

Get some pitching please...

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Berkman better start playing better if he wants to get traded. Nobody will want him if he keeps hitting at his current pace.

16. The Cat

Are you in the clubhouse? Do you know the guy? I'm genuinely curious - how in the world are you in a position to know what upsets him and what he does in the clubhouse?

17. The Cat

He's been playing all of three weeks. Those numbers aren't particularly relevant right now.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

This is not old news. Everyone who follows the Astros knows that Lance isn't that guy. John and Lance, Media, everyone knows after Biggio left there hasn't been a leader.

You should follow your team better.

1 person likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So what.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

So The Cat asked and I answered his question.