1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berkman on Pujols

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They did a piece on 60 minutes on the pujols, and asked Berkaman why pitchers pitch to him and he states he would never pitch to him. Why didn't the astros pitchers ever get the memo. It seems like a lifetime ago, but that year we had beltran, kent, berkman etc. we had a great chance to get WS and maybe win it all. That team was loaded if we didn't pitch to albert pujols.

2. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

We were loaded but our achilles heal was the middle relief pitchers and our 5th starter. Qualls, Chad Harville, and Dan Miceli were guys that I remember off the top of my head really blowing it in that series and IIRC we had to start Pete Munro one game as well. I dont remember how Munro did but he has no business starting a game in the National League Championship series.

The Cardinals had a really good lineup as well, and if the situations were right I'm sure we pitched around him but I'm sure there were several situations where he was up to bat with men on.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Seems like every pitcher that pitches to him wants to be "that guy" that strikes him out. :rolleyes:

Just walk him.:eek:

4. ThaShark316_28

Astros were stuck in that series in 2004..

that year they couldn't let Clemens go in game 6...he was awful on 3 days rest and also, Oswalt had an injury in those playoffs...him starting on 3 days rest would have been a disaster.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I blame Jim Edmonds that year.

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pettitte's season-ending surgery meant that Pete Munro had to pitch Games 2 and 6 - the usual games that Pettitte made his reputation pitching for the Yankees :(

And yeah, Edmonds robbing Ausmus of extra bases in the second inning also probably saved at least a run, and probably 2 that inning...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cuO00r28ymA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I recall, Pete Munro actually pitched really well in game 6. I remember despairing before the game thinking we were screwed and didn't stand a chance, but we didn't lose that game because of Munro.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Edmonds' catch was probably the best i'd seen in my lifetime, just when he did it and how the game played out made it even more remarkable.

I remember Lance Z had an incredible rant on his morning show about 3 or 4 years ago regarding pitching to Pujols. I understand some situations make it impossible but still don't get why he gets so many dam pitches to hit.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Lineup was loaded, pitching wasn't.

10. Air Langhi

If Roy and Roger are your 1-2 punch I like my chances.

When Edmond plays the astros he turn into pujols.

11. ThaShark316_28

Yeah if Berkman gets a hit in the 9th after Bagwell tied it...we win. Lidge was unhittable in 2004.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

No, Pete pitched pretty much like crap in Game 6. If Andy had been healthy...well you saw what happened the following year. The bullpen pretty much saved our ass, especially Lidge, in that game until that who will not be named came into the game in the 12th.

13. Air Langhi

Edmonds was good, but here is what albert did:

4 hr 9 rbi and 1.500 ops in 7 games. If the astros had walked him every time his ops would have been a 1.000 and he couldn't have driven in 9 runs.

14. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

That doesn't paint the whole picture. Yea we could have walked him everytime but would you walk him with 2 on and no outs? There are situations where you had to pitch to him, not throw them right down the middle and hope for the best, but try to make some pitches and not just intentionally walk him.

He had Larry Walker hitting in front of him and in their primes Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds batting directly behind him.

Cleanup hitter- Rolen: 3 hrs, 6 RBIs .310 BA and 1.044 ops
    5 hole hitter- Edmonds: 2 hrs, 7 RBIS, .292 BA and .982 ops

Those guys were on fire as well, they would have cleaned up the opportunities we would have taken away from Albert by walking him

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2004_NLCS.shtml

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Munro's lines from Game 2 and Game 6:

Game 2: 4.2 IP, 6H, 3R, 3ER
    Game 6: 2.1 IP, 8H, 4R, 4ER

Series: 7 IP, 14H, 7ER, 9.00 ERA

That being said, the man referenced by rockets934life above managed to have a worse series for the 'stros :mad:

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Was Backe on the 04 team?

If Pettitte and Wade Miller were healthy...

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He was indeed, and was a huge part of our success that year. If Andy had been healthy, we probably would have beat the Cards, but he wasn't, and we didn't.

18. RocketMania1991

Berkman has twice as many homeruns this season as Pujols :grin: