1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[BergCBS] Rockets collecting picks for big trade (presumably dwight)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Jul 7, 2012.

1. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Uggghhhhhhhhh!!!!...please for everybody who shares your opinion that it will be a 4 month rental explain why you think he will leave 57 million on the table and leave Houston and where will he go!!?????... it is really annoying when people keep making an argument without knowing the facts and at least give some thought as to why u think he will leave..You think you are smarter than Morey and he has not weighed the risks of trading for him!!!..its a calculated risk and I'm guessing his MIT background makes his guess a little more probable to come true than some of you peoples....

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't revert to form, bima. You were almost nice for awhile. We can't all be as valuable as you to the bbs. Unfortunately you seem to know this all too well.

1 person likes this.
  3. dreammvp

The direction: Morey is a firm believer in and so is Les is that you need a superstar to win a championship...not good role players...ie the Indiana pacers ..u can be good but not great until you get a superstar and nobody on this roster is a superstar so morey is going after Dwight and he is counting on him re signing and taking the extra 57 million he gets if he stays here...then u go and get role players to support him...that is the direction they are going in....

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I get it .. I agree superstar or 2 needed duh.I just don't think making a trade that strips us of so much potential,for a guy that doesn't want to be here ,and than wishing on a star that greed alone keeps him here is a move I like.

It reeks of desperation and could set us back by years if it fails.

5. dreammvp

High risk high reward.....would you rather stay mediocre and at best be the pacers. of the western conference or even worse be picking 14 again every year...
    I'm tired of it and I want a superstar that is established..ie Dwight...not rebuild than hope that we get the #1 pick and hope he develops into a superstar...the chances are very slim of that....and that would set us back by more years

6. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

You pro tankers act like we got 5 top 5 picks on our roster. We got a #12,16,18 and #20 sum tin in d-mo. The chances of one of them being a superstar is very slim. Hell one or two might be good enough to be a starter. I'm willing to risk 4 high 1st round picks for a top 5 player who we know is a superstar. Then if he leaves (which I don't he will) maybe we can actually get a top 5 pick for a player whose got a better chance of becoming a superstar.

7. dreammvp

I just put $10 in tip jar for 2 free tickets on the bandwagon for whoever wants to claim them:grin:

8. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Hold on there, bud, I have tons of respect for you, but it's not like you're great at tolerating disagreement with yourself. I'm kind of lazy (have other interests), but if you will stop being a bully, I will give you all the debate you want. Really, just chill and be satisfied with the worship that you're getting now.

9. DAROckets

I'm not so much of a pro tanker, but I do feel like we are in a great position to get a jump start in a rebuilding direction.Tanking is a huge gamble in itself and trying to even get down to top 5 would be tough.I think if the DH gamble fails it would be devastating.Even full tank mode could take many years to get back to the point we are now.How many drafts do you think it would take to get back the type of young potential we have now ? This years draft was not typical because of the lock out,so arguably all 3 picks may have been a top 10 maybe even top 5 in a normal draft year.Then take Parsons,D-Mo and the future picks and that's a lot to be hopeful about.

10. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Yeah, but we're not tankers, and we aren't giving any indication that that is changing. Morey is a negotiator, but if you pick up your sword, he might back up, but he isn't going to drop his.

11. MrJason

MrJason Member

I think everyone is forgetting the S&T possibility after the one year rental is up.

Trade our some of our youth and picks for Dwight. If he doesn't want to stay after a year then we can sign and trade him to the Nets for Lopez/Brooks or whoever. Add that to the youth that we didn't trade and it will still put us in a better position than we are in now.

12. karthik.08

karthik.08 Member

correcto, and that way dwight still gets his money. orlando should do this, but i think they just want to turn the page.

13. DAROckets

What ever happens so be it ..I'll be on board with it once it goes down .I'm not the kind to root for my own team to fail just for some kind of moral victory.

14. Rocket_Man_2.0

Every player is a gamble..yes, even superstar players. Rocket fans should know better then anyone. Rockets gambled on Tmac..what happened, his back broke down. Rockets gambled on Yao Ming...what happened to him, his foot broke down. Superstar players aren't a guarantee either.. especially a guy like Howard coming of off back surgery. He may not ever be the same player again..HUGE GAMBLE...he also might leave.

When you are gambling you want to maximize your chances of winning..that means acquiring as many high upside guys as you can. Yeah..the odds are against us..but good scouting can overcome poor odds...Spurs took a gamble on Ginobli & Parker..the found themselves two star players to fit with Duncan...and they've been living off that trio for years. Celtics took a gamble on Rondo...that turned out ok.

Moreys track record is pretty good a finding diamonds in the ruff. Bad teams make bad draft picks while good teams make good draft picks...with good scouting you can rebuild very quickly through the draft..having a top draft pick isn't a guarantee either...Greg Oden...but you have better odds of winning with a top 10 pick. The players we drafted they would be top 10 in any other draft.

You guys are comparing a deep draft, with guys who stayed out because of the lockout....to a normal draft. Every move made..every player drafted is a gamble...you concentrate on the player not where he was drafted...and how his skill will translate...Rebuilding doesn't have to 10+ years...thats only because of bad orginization/bad owners...so Rockets are on their 4th year post Yao era. OKC build a contender in that amound of time. Rockets gambled hoping Yao Ming would come back to his former self, that gamble didn't work.

Well, lets see how this Howard thing plays out. If he comes here and doesn't resign..that will be ANOTHER year with less talent then you had before...If he does resign here GREAT...now let's hope his back holds up. Then we have to build a contender around him...how long did it take to build around Yao/Tmac?

So Howard even if we aquire him doesn't guarntee a quick turn around are a championship contender...Rockets could very easily be in the exact same place they've been for the past 3 season 14th pick with Howard.

When Knicks finally got their superstar tandum Amare & Carmello..what did they win!?...a first round exit!...now knicks would do anything to get rid of Amare and his BAAAAAD contract.

All we have to do is acquire Howard...and it'll start raining championships. It was suppose to rain championships with Yao & Tmac..the next Kobe and Shaq!

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It has nothing to do about s&t Dwight at all, for me. I know that is a possibility. It's just that we had a very good draft this year and it would be a move in the wrong direction to do anything concerning Dwight now. Even if we pull off something like a Brooks and Lopez deal for Howard, in the 2014-2015 season, White, Lamb and Jones will probably be the new big three for Orlando.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He should be fired if his plans blow up in his face. If Dwight walks its firing time for Morey if he gives up the teams future in the process.

17. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

For some ridiculously odd reason, I don't want Howard. But then again, I'm not the gm. I'm just a poor college student who's opinion means clost to absolutely nothing.

18. fkc20

fkc20 Member

enough is enough, Morey...just develop our kids

19. Flipsail

Flipsail New Member

Excellent post to get the mind churning!

I think the Dwight/Hedo trade would be better served than the Dwight/J. Richardson one.

J-Rich: FT 42%
    C-Lee: FT 83%

Hopefully, they won't have to get rid of Lamb in the deal.

You could then have something along the lines of:

C: Howard, Asik (if CHI doesn't match)
    PF: Scola, Motiejunas, one of Jones or White
    SF: Hedo, Parsons,
    SG: Lee, Lamb
    PG: Lin (if NY doesn't match) or Brooks (if NY matches), Machado

You would be uniting 3 of the 5 starters from the Magic Finals team with a pretty good supporting cast. Obviously, other moves would be made once the core is in place to strengthen the team.

I could see Howard being content with this trade and Houston IF he sees a plan in place towards a Championship run.

Lee would probably be more likely to sign with Houston if Dwight is there.

I'm sure Lee would be more than happy to meet Dwight and Hedo at the airport.

20. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member