1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Benghazi: the coverup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 3, 2012.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

2. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

how is that a meme?

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

no memorial for victims of Benghazi on one year anniversary

like it never happened

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/09/state-department-staffers-benghazi-anniversary.php

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]However, the staffer said the group that held the memorial was never given an explanation for why there was not a larger memorial event at headquarters in Washington. The staffer theorized it could have been because the department distracted by the ongoing situation in Syria or, potentially, because a May ceremony where Stevens and Smith’s names were added to the memorial plaque in the lobby was considered sufficient.

State Department spokesman Alec Gerlach confirmed to TPM on Sunday that there was no official commemoration held at the headquarters in Washington beyond the email sent by Kerry on the anniversary Wednesday. That email was entitled “Remembering September 11” and acknowledged both the 2012 attack on the consulate in Benghazi and the 2001 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington. The spokesman provided a copy of that email to TPM.

“For all of us, September 11 is much more than another day on a calendar or another anniversary. It’s a day like none other. Seeing American flags flying at half-staff brings back powerful and haunting memories of loved ones, friends and colleagues lost on two awful days — last year and twelve years ago — that remind us in searing ways just how complicated and dangerous a world we live in,” Kerry wrote.

In the email, which was read at the State Department’s daily press briefing Wednesday, Kerry encouraged staffers to take a “quiet moment of remembrance and reflection.” Gerlach said Kerry also led a moment of silence at a meeting with senior staff that day.

“I hope that as you read this, wherever you are in the world, you’ll join me for a quiet moment of remembrance and reflection. It may be a thought, a hope, a prayer or a wish,” Kerry wrote in the email. “My hope is that as we remember our fallen colleagues from both September 11s and all the other sad days, we never forget the reason we do what we do.”

When asked why the State Department did not have a formal ceremony marking the anniversary of the Benghazi attack, Gerlach pointed to congressional investigations that he said have politicized the discussion. Investigations led by Republican House members have criticized the Obama administration and Clinton for their initial explanations for the attack.[/rquoter]

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Did anyone see this hearing? I am curious why the D's walked out...

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...ore-testimony-from-benghazi-families-n1704732

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>PHOTO: <a href="https://twitter.com/OversightDems">@OversightDems</a> excuse themselves from testimony of <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Benghazi&amp;src=hash">#Benghazi</a> heroes' family members <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PJNet&amp;src=hash">#PJNet</a> <a href="http://t.co/NP9u2I2noC">pic.twitter.com/NP9u2I2noC</a></p>&mdash; Darrell Issa (@DarrellIssa) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrellIssa/statuses/380774106167136256">September 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Valid excuse...

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does seem rather disrespectful. Apparently, they're still fighting over this Benghazi stuff, with Republicans challenging the official findings of the investigation, saying that the authors were trying to protect Clinton in their report. I couldn't find any source that would say why the Dems walked out, but I'm guessing they saw the testimony of these parents of the slain as some cheap political ploy (or at least one that would put them at a disadvantage). Politics is unseemly.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

perhaps they were upset about the continued politicizing of a tragedy... oh wait, that is something only the right can be upset about...

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Would seem to me that this would be much more damaging than anything they could have testified on. Why not just suck it up, say you're sorry for their loss, and move on. Also, I haven't seen the official report, hadn't really heard much about it, could you summarize the main finding or do you know of a source that does?

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Nvm, I found a few sources, but will have to read tonight or tomorrow.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

They were upset, huh? Would you say they were as much or more upset than the parents of the slain victims they turned their backs on?

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The parents of victims are not politicians. What they have to say is not politics.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Rowdy Gowdy, brutal

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ofDh5TNI9xI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If they have no new, material information to offer and they were subpoenaed by politicians, that's exactly what it is.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

They have information on what they were told and by who regarding their child's death.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

So you think it was entirely acceptable for them to walk out during their testimony?

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Democrats walking out on those parents was the only way -- gutless and without honor -- to avoid taking responsibility for their fearless leader's ineptitude and unfeeling. Oh, yes, I wonder if Obama really didn't care because the Benghazi victims were white? He was certainly more concerned by the death of Trayvon Martin.

1 person likes this.