1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Tate expendable?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marteen, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

You guys think Ben Tate would put up the same numbers that Arian Foster's puttin' up? But yeah, I'm wondering if Ben Tate will be given alot of attention in next year's training camp. Is Arian Foster gonna be the starting running back from now on? I'm wondering what you guys think.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

No, I don't think he would be as good. But we absolutely need him anyways.

Remember who our current backups are. In the NFL these days, you really need 2 good runningbacks, and I'm nowhere near to being sold on Slaton and Ward.

Also, there's always the injury question.

3. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I don't care who's starting, just as long as we keep this up!

4. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

not yet. But if he still hurt next year, then proberly.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Ben Tate wouldn't be doing as well as Foster has been doing but you still need him moving forward. Derrick Ward is 30 years old and on a one year contract. Steve Slaton is still an unknown for the most part. You need at least two good running backs in this league.

6. emjohn

emjohn Member

At worst, you lose Slaton and keep him as a backup for Foster. We have to see if Tate recovers well, though. Ankle fractures can really rob a RB of his cutting and explosiveness.

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

At this point, we have no idea how good Tate is. I'm not willing to give up our primary backup for an unproven rookie, a recently injured one at that.

Slaton has been pretty solid so far this season.

8. RV6

RV6 Member

too early....we've had some success with young backs who weren't sure things, like Foster and Slaton (last year mostly), so i wouldnt give up on him. Give him a shot to actually play and get some experience.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Thank you! Don't jump the gun just yet fellas. Remember how bright Domanick Davis' future looked after his rookie season? How did that turn out?

Plus we still have yet to see what Ben Tate has in the tank for us. He could be a stud on the field and all of a sudden we have a DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart type combo. Who knows....

10. rockets934life

No way, you don't just throw away a 2nd rd pick. Tate could be a dynamic complementary back to Foster next season plus you still have Slaton as your Sproles type back.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

Ben who?

I completely forgot about him. He isnt expendable. Having 2 homerun threats like Tate and Foster will be a good problem to have

12. The Real Shady

I thought I read somewhere that Ben Tate didn't impress the Texans in training camp, but it doesn't really matter with the emergence of Foster. Bring him to training camp next season to compete for the #2 spot. If not, oh well.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Ward won't be here next season most likely

Foster, Tate, and Slaton is probably the deepest running back rotation in the NFL. With Ward now they have one of the best groups of RBs already.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Not only is it too early to give up on a 2nd round pick, but by expendable I'm thinking you mean trade him away which would be a terrible idea seeing how he just came off a serious leg injury that shut him down for a whole season his value is at an all time low. We're still searching for a viable option at who can be our #2 running back, Ward played really well yesterday, he seems to fit our system nicely and even Slaton had some nice runs but it remains to be seen if they can consistently be counted on. And with a potential 18 game season, its going to be even more important to have multiple running backs to reduce the wear and tear.

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

There's no way you give up on Tate. He was a stud in college and I think he'll be a solid backup/combo with Foster. Let him at least have a full training camp and see what he can do.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

You never know when a RB is going to lose "it". Slaton was great his rookie season and sucked last year. Domanick Davis/Williams, the Texans all time leading rusher, lasted only 3 years in the league. It's always good to have more than one good RB on the roster.

18. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Whos knows what will happen but if foster keeps up this up I would think theres a high probality that he will be a hold out next year. Isnt he making close to the mininum ?

19. liljojo

liljojo Member

If he keeps this up, he's gonna get paid. The Texans have been really good about rewarding their deserving players.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Trade low? Of course not.

And Foster is already having issues, and it's not even week five!

Yeah, we definitely keep Tate. He's exactly the type of insurance the Texans need.