1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons getting a new zip code?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

No, I am sure this is mostly Simmons.

However it will impact the reputation of Rich Paul. If he had a big problem with it, he would drop Simmons as a client.

Paul appears to be using this in part to see how much power he as an agent can have.... and we will see the outcome.

The fact that Simmons is claiming mental health issues and there is an exception in the league contract, that means Paul has a strong argument.

There is no requirement that I know of that Simmons seek mental health treatment with someone associated with the Sixers, nor is he required to open his mental health records..... he is treating with mental health providers from the players association.

This could get really ugly.

It is clear that Simmons doesn't have the nuts to go back and make up with the Sixers, but he also isn't willing to lose his paycheck. This is the perfect storm for something that becomes very messy..... add to that, the Sixers and Morey are not likely to just dump him for 10 cents on the dollar.... and Morey already has been stung by the mental health issue with "Be Well".

Most players wouldn't sabotage their legacy or career and most GM's wouldn't let Simmons be a distraction.... and most agents wouldn't dig in as deep as Paul.

jiggyfly, Mr Woods, foh and 5 others like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

"Hey, thanks for stopping by Ben, and taking me up on my promise that I'm willing to get uncomfortable.
    This is very awkward!"

"Ben.... put down that coffee..... put it down..... coffee is only for closers! Only closers get coffee.... Doc, you see this ****?"

SamFisher and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. i3artow i3aller

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Morey man, he don't play this ****. Should be fun to see how this all turns out.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm gonna call Simmons "Half Measures, Half Amazing".

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rich Paul needs to find a psychiatrist who can just sign off for Simmons's mental issues so that they can't fine him.

8. foh

foh Member

That would finalize the story-line of Simmons being a mentally flawed player as there will be a label on his name because the doctor note, regardless if it's legit or paid/bribed for, will have to state his diagnosis. It will effect his paychecks going forward. If Rich Paul cares about his commission, he should be trying to consider other alternatives imho.

Squirtle and Easy like this.
  9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Play. Jack up shots. Throw passes at the knees or 2' over your head - catchable but far from ideal. Run but let your man beat you.

Get paid to sit - guaranteed.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He probably already has, i would bet Simmons eventually wins this appeal, or actually the Sixers give him his fines back after he's finally, mercifully traded

Nook and Easy like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I actually think Morey is stepping in it like crazy. Other than signing bargain basement Curry he's not exactly killing it and he's taking a lot of hits with this sad, endless saga. I'm a huge Morey fan but this debacle is... Not good for him.

Squirtle, King1, Easy and 2 others like this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Could play a role in signing free agents in the future. Klutch already stated they don’t like Morey.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Free Agents and 76ers don't go together.

Plus Frat Guys 76ers fans don't help

14. i3artow i3aller

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Where things stand with Ben Simmons and the 76ers

One of the most noteworthy of those storylines involves Ben Simmons and the Philadelphia 76ers. There remains no imminent resolution as far as a trade is concerned.

The three-time All-Star met with 76ers coach Doc Rivers, co-star Joel Embiid and the entire team on Oct. 22 and informed them all that he is not mentally ready to play yet and that he needs time to get his mind right. Simmons told them in the meeting that everyone bears responsibility for the situation, including himself. Simmons requested a trade from the 76ers in June following a Game 7 loss to the Atlanta Hawks in the Eastern Conference semifinals after Rivers and Embiid made critical public comments about Simmons.

It has been a rocky road ever since, including Simmons shunning teammates from meeting with him in Los Angeles before training camp, reporting to camp late and being kicked out of his third practice with the team for failing to follow Rivers’ request to enter a defensive drill.

Currently, the 76ers are testing the validity of Simmons’ pursuit of mental health assistance. The 76ers have become increasingly irritated with Simmons’ lack of providing further clarity on the matter to them and have threatened to return to their daily fines for events that the organization feels he is not participating in, such as games, practices, shootarounds and strength and conditioning workouts.

Multiple sources have told The Athletic that Simmons has provided the organization with the names of each of his mental health professionals. The franchise has access to Simmons’ mental health professionals, but those professionals are not able to provide further information to the 76ers without Simmons’ consent due to patient confidentiality. So far, Philadelphia does not have a mental health doctor on its staff with whom Simmons is comfortable, sources say. Simmons is allowed the ability to seek treatment from outside the 76ers’ physicians for mental assistance.

The 76ers feel they should be given more details about Simmons’ treatment plans, process and return timeframe. Team officials say they have sought a good faith effort from Simmons to help understand his return to action process, not the specifics of his mental health guidance, but claim that has not happened. Simmons, meanwhile, is not obligated to share details of his work with mental wellness professionals.

The National Basketball Players Association has supported Simmons throughout this process, and one NBPA source told The Athletic that as long as Simmons has provided his team with the basic information regarding mental health professionals with whom he’s seeking help, Philadelphia should not have grounds for salary withholding.

The team fined Simmons last week for a shootaround at which he was present but was asked by Rivers not to participate unless he was active, sources said. Simmons has yet to play five-on-five and no plans to return to action were communicated by either side after he stated that he’s not mentally ready to play.

Since that telltale Oct. 22 meeting with Rivers and his teammates, sources say that Simmons has been engaged around the team in the facility and at home shootarounds. He has been conducting one-on-none workouts, participating in intense shooting drills with teammate Tyrese Maxey and receiving back treatment from the training staff. Simmons is also receiving help from mental health professionals, a process he began during the offseason, according to sources.

Given that Simmons has been at odds with the 76ers, it’s clear the trust must be built before he delves into the personal matters of his mental state with them. Sources added that Simmons has informed the franchise for months that he is not feeling mentally ready, but that the organization has insisted on attempts to get him to play again.

Philadelphia’s president of basketball operations, Daryl Morey, approached Simmons last Wednesday about his return to play status, but Simmons reiterated his stance and that he is seeking professional help. Team officials say they support Simmons in his process to receive mental health treatment, but sources said that the 76ers have just wanted feedback and clarity on what that entails.

In the meantime, the 76ers have not had any deal form for Simmons. Morey has continued to set a high price threshold for any deal involving the runner-up for the 2021 NBA Defensive Player of the Year. Philadelphia is once again the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference so far this season, beginning the campaign 8-2 with quality wins while playing through absences and the Simmons situation.

The Boston Celtics have engaged in conversations with the 76ers revolving around Simmons and expressed interest in the 6-foot-11 guard, sources tell The Athletic. Talks have been fluid with no traction as of yet, those sources say. Any potential Simmons deal with the Celtics would have to include All-Star forward Jaylen Brown, an ascending talent who is in the midst of another career season, averaging 25.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.5 assists.

The Celtics are off to a 4-6 start, winning two recent games against Miami and Orlando before losing to Dallas Saturday night. President of basketball operations Brad Stevens admitted to NBC Sports Boston that the organization is “going to find out” if it has the right group of players.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wait, what?? That's a ******* steal if Morey is able to get Brown for Simmons.

red5rocket, ElPigto, Patience and 3 others like this.
  17. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Serious question. If he’s not mentally prepared to play. Does that mean he still won’t be able to play anyways for any team that would possibly get him… or he will be mentally healed with a trade?

Easy likes this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The best mental professional for Simmons is Daryl Morey. Morey just needs to trade him from the Sixers and his psyche will be fine. Is there a Nobel Prize for mental health?

foh likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kyrie for Simmons is a more likely scenario.

foh and Patience like this.