1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons getting a new zip code?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 13, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

How last season ended was pretty rough for Simmons. Some individuals take **** tough. Some individuals will not understand (likely like Embiid, since he is busting his for the franchise playing through injuries) versus others that will understand (like Harris). Weird situation all around, but I can imagine how Simmons felt.

He needs to learn to take responsibility, seems that the guy has been babied his whole life and this is hitting him strong.

B-Bob, JayGoogle and Ramo$e like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's hard to determine if Simmons is lying or not but, at this point, there's not much the Sixers organization can do but to respect him and give him time. That being said, it would not surprise me one bit if this was a "strategic" ploy that Rich Paul and Simmons' family came up with to not only keep Ben's paychecks coming in (and also not getting fined) but also to gain sympathy from the public/media. I hope to God it's not the case but nothing about how Simmons' representation has shown me that they have HIS best interest first.

Nook, Jontro, ElPigto and 2 others like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Embiid for Lucas. Who says no first?

Jontro and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Royce White's twitter... is something.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Honestly seems like the perfect move for Simmons to get what he wanted which is not to be around the team anymore.

Now he's excused from practices and just in general being around the team and he didn't even give a timeframe so who knows how long, honestly would be a genius way of getting out of it and no one is going to come after him because of mental health.

Jontro and steddinotayto like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yup. I may be naive but I think there's still a chance that Simmons and the 76ers can work it out. We might have disagreed on how impactful Rivers' comments were after Game 7 but I think we are in agreement that Rivers is not a good coach. That being said, if I were Morey and was faced with two options--either I make Simmons happy and fire Rivers or I make Rivers happy and trade Ben--I'd gladly do the former. Without Thibodeaux's defense and an entire super team in KG, Pierce, Allen and Rondo Rivers would have never even gotten close to sniffing a championship. Simmons' flaws and weaknesses, while hard, can still be repaired. Rivers' flaws and weaknesses (epic collapses in the playoffs) can't.

ElPigto and JayGoogle like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Rockets do…Lucas might be around till 100…Joel while I hope not…I’m not sure how long his knees hold up.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Are his houses still up for sale? lol. That may be the key. I'm going to enjoy watching this soap opera. Keep it up Ben -- I'm enjoying it.

Nook likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think there is a chance that he plays the rest of this year for the Sixers and they revisit the trade in the off season again.

Morey is likely waiting for another star to demand wanting out I guess, that's his best move but Simmons and his agent are going to do all they can to force a trade.

And yeah I agree completely about Rivers. I feel like eventually the organization is going to move on from him. His teams are always a disappointment and I'm not sure how it's even possible to blow 3-1 leads as often as he has.

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

It wouldn't be surprising if Ben Simmons did have some mental health issues since it's something many people have to deal with.

What I don't buy is that his "issues" are precluding him from fulfilling his end of the contract with the Sixers.

If Simmons was traded last week or month to the Warriors, Wolves, Nets or Clippers etc, does anyone believe he would not have happily suited up and play for those teams.

Unfortunately for the Sixers, there is little or zero chance they can contest this.

snowconeman22 and Easy like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it sounds to me that Simmons is saying, "Hey guys, I've tried every tactic and it's not working. Now this is my last ditch to let me get my pay checks coming without having to make any effort to work with you guys... and maybe get some sympathy off of some suckers out there."

Sounds very much like a prepared statement written by someone other than Simmons himself.

Jontro likes this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey really playing hard ball.

14. jayland

jayland Member

Is it a mental health issue for someone to believe they have a mental health issue when they really don't?

B-Bob, hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s likely and quite obviously the case. I’m indifferent towards Simmons but I suppose wish him the best. Perhaps he will actually earn his contract eventually.

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

simpsons should retire if he really has mental issues. this profession isn't for him.
    @hakeem94

and then come out of retirement and sign with rox for vet min

Easy likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

#777 J.R., Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    B-Bob, i3artow i3aller and foh like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Definitely, life coach Stephien Sidas and Dr. Locus would have fixed him in no time

Nook and Jontro like this.
  19. foh

foh Member

I'm sure he can produce a doctor's note if 76ers ask him for one.
    I actually wasn't picking anyone to win in this fight and instead trying to get others to avoid picking sides based on emotional preferences for the camps involved. I was just pointing out that Simmon's value/reputation in the league will crumble if he sticks to mental health story to get his money (which in turn will mean that Embiid will want out too).

Based on what they did with Embiid talking to the fans, it seems like the relationship MIGHT be on the mends because they realized that they are screwing each other over too much and self-destructing like you mention above. Now it looks more like there is a way to repair it by getting some compassion/sympathy points from the fans.

I'm sure Simmons will appreciate this speech:

#779 foh, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    glimmertwins and i3artow i3aller like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

embiiden trying to help out maurley in pumping up salmons' trade value

Jayzers_100 and NewAge like this.