1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons getting a new zip code?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 13, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Ben is free to get offended, players rarely like being on the trading block. Even JAGs. I think most players are content to play with one team for the rest of their careers and only leave because they feel forced to leave but still would rather leave on their own power rather than being told they are not wanted.

It was not smart of them to publically put him on the trading block. You let rumors do that and then give the old "We love Ben here and any rumor that we're trying to trade him is nonsense" lie. Yeah it'll make you a liar but it's better in the long term.

plutoblue11 and Ramo$e like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is going to get interesting.

The NBAPA I imagine are not going to just lie down and take this. Give the NBAPA credit, they usually get what they want and I imagine they won't like a player basically being what they will call 'hostage' for years of his career. I think this could get messy if Morey does what he says he's willing to do and the NBA will get involved...and I'm not sure what that even looks like.

I don't think it comes down to that...I think we heard a desperate Morey yesterday and something has to be done. They have to do something drastic to get Simmons at least partially brought in like fire Doc or something OR Morey is going to cave to a deal.

I mean he has to know sitting Simmons out for the rest of his contract hurts them as much as Simmons and oh yeah...you still get nothing for him lol...each year that passes you get less for him too sooooooooooooooooo

The best time to trade Simmons is right now...it was a year ago when Harden was there to be had but now that time is passed.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Interesting....if anything he needs to get back into the lineup this weekend when they play at OKC. Putting up a triple double in a blow of the Thunder would be a start. Also, it just dawned on me that this guy needs a PR person and if he already has one he needs a better one. In this day and age, a thoughtful instagram post or tweet about how he intends to learn from this situation to make himself a better player or teammate with some hashtag like #letsgoPhilly #76ers would go a long way, if not to get him closer to Philly fans' good graces but just to rehab his trade value.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

How are you wrong on every point lulz

Morey sounded thug af. Threatening to make him sit out 4 years haha

That harden trade was nvr happening, it’s been reported the Rockets would nvr trade Harden to Morey, but he can get a deal done at the deadline when teams become desperate. Morey is right once again.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I bet you get proven wrong. Forcing him to play til the deadline is 100% the best move

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He sounded thug?

Lol ok...have fun sitting on a max slot and doing nothing with it for 4 years and then getting nothing back for it...so thug! That's what I want my team to have a max contract for YEARS and just sit on it for years. Won't affect the team at all...so thug...

ArtV, cheke64 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That really worked out for the Rockets...that motivated and passionate Harden was a boon to the team....

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So glad Tilman gave this fool the boot.

NewAge likes this.
  11. i3artow i3aller

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It's not actually - you are focusing on what it takes to win the battle and losing sight of the war. Contrary to popular belief, Simmons' contract status with the team is just one output in a much larger organizational outcome for the Sixers to be legit playoff contenders. Yes - they want to maximize Simmons value to get the most in return for him in a trade but nothing about the posturing they are doing is going to raise his value very much around the league at this point - it's just making it harder for him to produce on the court for your team because you have already as an organization used Simmons as a scapegoat which puts him at odds with his teammates before he ever even had a chance to pull of his diva shenanigans that started in training camp - I mean they had a whole offseason to try to fix this and it sounds like didn't do too much despite clear warning signs. Instead of trying to rebuild a relationship, they relied on contract expectations and camp reporting processes to bring him to them which was a gross miscalculation. Those processes don't re-build relationships - people do....but this doesn't entirely surprise me about Morey because often people with excellent analytical skills forget to calculate all the things the system can't account for or quantify. Who cares if you can legally force a player to "work" if they are unhappy, impacting their teammates with their bad attitudes, and generally are not producing at their best?

...but as I said - the bigger point here is the media will remind the players and coaches every single day that they are playing in turmoil and that is decidedly NOT a way to build high performing teams. The organization as well will continue to suffer the side effects of reputational damage among players - rightly or wrongly - it doesn't matter because it nevertheless puts them at a disadvantage when trying to compete with 30+ teams for a relatively shallow pool of floor/ceiling raising players. Everyone wants psychological safety in their job and when a star player is screaming the opposite(regardless of whether he is right/wrong), it's only natural to expect at least a few people would rather play elsewhere than the Sixers just in case Simmons is right.

The SMART move to get them closer to being a legit title contender, is to get Simmons off the team as quickly as possible with the best deal they can and not waste Embid in his prime by waiting to bring all new players in much later into the season when there isn't enough time to gel before heading into the playoffs. Contrary to popular belief, title contenders are grown over time, not built over night.

Ramo$e and foh like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the reports coming out now and Tobias Harris's post, Simmons may have decided to go the route of asking forgiveness from his teammates. We will see how this continues to develop.

The news may have reported it that 76ers thought Ben was faking it, but something happened today, don't know if fake or a breakthrough, but he took responsibility. Will he be seeing therapists next, I don't know, but it seems he is trying to do something. Whether motivated by money or actually coming to his senses, its good to see some progress I guess.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. foh

foh Member

Can you quote where exactly it was made official by 76ers that Ben Simmons is on a trading block?

The route Simmons chose today is to call himself mentally ill due to expectations - he basically proved Rivers to be correct in saying that he can't be a PG on a championship team because he can't handle expectations. I think you are backing the wrong horse here personally, but to each their own I guess.

edit: Everyone on Morey's teams know that they are chips to be dealt in a right deal - nothing has to be said officially. And yea some people can't handle it. I wouldn't be able to handle it either. But I would state that reason clearly for wanting to leave the team

#754 foh, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

plutoblue11 and Ramo$e like this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Royce White paved the road for Ben Simmons

DeBeards, Ramo$e and glimmertwins like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

This will be interesting...... Simmons says he wants to comeback but he isn't mentally there.

I can believe that..... and if this is genuine, then it is good for the Sixers..... because he will likely be back this season, probably sooner than later.

Now IF this is all a scam by Simmons...... wow, his reputation would be destroyed long term forever.

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

When Embiid asked “Why do you want a trade?”, Simmons responded “I’m not mentally feeling like myself and need to take some time away.”
    That was met with no response back.
    Other team leaders such as Tobias Harris, privately & publicly, supported Simmons and let him know he can take time away and get right mentally.
    Unclear how long he’ll need to get his mind right.
    Simmons will seek professional help to make sure he’s back on track and get back on the floor after he did express to teammates he wants to play but wants to get right mentally.
    It’s believe the Sixers support Simmons as he seeks professional help but this message was relayed months ago, that he was not mentally ready to return to Philadelphia under current conditions.

Morey, Brand, Glenn, ownership: Why do you want a trade? Why do you want out?
    Simmons: ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Embiid: Why do you want a trade? Why do you want a trade?
    Simmons: I’m just not feeling like myself and need to take some time away.

ANSWER THE QUESTION MOTHER****ER!
    I’m not feeling like myself. :rolleyes:
    Can’t even answer the question.

So fragile you’re afraid you’ll hear it from teammates and Philadelphia fans?

Telling me if Philadelphia already traded you like you wanted or traded you today, you’d be telling your new team “I’m not ready. I need to get right mentally.”?

FOH

[​IMG]

Nook, DeBeards and steddinotayto like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Simmons needs John Lucas

DeBeards likes this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It doesn't really matter who is right or wrong - that is wasted effort/energy at this point. The point is regardless of how we got here(and everyone involved is to blame - Simmons, Morey, Doc, Embid, Philly fans, Elton Brand) - we ARE here and the only way the Sixers get any value in this situation is by creating environment where Simmons can contribute to their team and look like a hero because that's the only way the Sixers will be a better team with him and also the only way they are going to maximize his value around the league for a trade. That's why all the fines and posturing ESPECIALLY on talk radio are such a bad idea because who is right/wrong is completely besides the point in maximizing value....but when you say that who is right/wrong IS the point, you force people to take sides - 76ers fans, players in the locker room, coaches, etc. That creates a wedge that simply does not exist for high performing teams and building a high performing team is Morey's job right now, NOT being right.