1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons getting a new zip code?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 13, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Young Lebron James in close games? He would pass off because presumably he was scared to go to the line.

tons of players are scared to do things, scared to dribble or pass or something they know is a weakness they don't want exposed.

Would be a fan fluff piece if he said he loved Philly. Fans turn on players in a SECOND, I saw staunch Harden defenders turn into Harden haters overnight.

You're not getting it...I don't care how he played. You keep going on about how poorly he's played or this or that and I keep saying, full stop, you should not throw players under the bus. Teams do not publically shame players and yuo know that. Yet call my statement cupcake as if it's regular to publically shame a player for whatever they do.

Here you have Kyrie about to tank the Nets whole season and do you see them publically shaming him? Did you see the bulls publically shame Rodman when he'd skip team functinos for parties? No, they'd just laugh to the press and go "Rodman being Rodman!"

As is their right. Still not an excuse to publicaly shame a player.

You always claim others strawman you when you've done it a few times in a post. Where did I say it was Doc or Embiid's fault that Simmons has poor work ethic and poor playoff performances? Quote me.

I've said over and over again this is about how they treated a player but I know you won't agree because you literally said it's fine for an organization to publicaly shame a player. Cool. Then it's fine for that player to want out.

2. dmoneybangbang

No. He shot over 70% at the FT line his first 5 playoff series, try again.

Then it should be easy to name a max player who had as an embarrassing playoff series.

They turned in Harden haters when he gave up on his team and demanded a trade? I am shocked

Simmons lost the fan base and the locker room..... and the general media and Sixers fan media backs it up...... everyone is so mean to poor Simmons..... LOL just stop.

You are focusing on the completely wrong there here.

"Publicly shammed" is just your interpretation and one of the more odd arguments defending Simmons.

Its weird you care more about Doc's statements than Simmon's play, very weird and very telling.

LOL. "Publicly shame" is your inflated term. The Boston Celtics publicly called out some of Kyrie's behavior and I think the Nets should call out Kyrie's anti-vax

Disagree. And I disagree it was a "public shaming" as you keep trying to insist in order to prop up your odd argument.

You just disregard everything and focus on "publicly shaming". You disregard how the Sixers have pampered and treated Simmons like a superstar for most of his Sixers tenure. Why is that? Simmons didn't hold up his end up the bargain and got called out. Boohoo.

You don't seem to care that Simmons hasn't been putting in the work but care more about Simmons' feelings..... Weird Simmons defender take..... Your cause and effect is entirely off.

3. dmoneybangbang

Does anyone else think Simmon's was publicly shamed?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL

“I’m gonna call Woj and find out what’s going on.”

i3artow i3aller and BossHogg713 like this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

6. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Money talks and b s walks

i3artow i3aller and clos4life like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. foh

foh Member

I can certainly see how Simmons' camp would think that way and Simmons' fans.

Media caused the shade thrown at Simmons. They did it by first asking pointed questions of people who they know would be really pissed at that moment and then ran ran stories on it. It's standard enough in the league for coaches and players to read the leafs and realize what the shade thrown might become after a few retweets - a shameful PR storm for the target, especially if said target is a superstar and has a huge fan following.

At the same time @JayGoogle seems to imply that no one does that in the league at least not the coaches and because of said tradition, Simmons is a martyr in this situation. But as was pointed out by said poster already, public shaming happens all the time whether it is Harden calling McHale a "clown" or people like Draymond Green, Butler or Kobe calling their teammates out. The only reason, coaches don't usually do that against superstars is money. The superstars can get them fired.

I definitely agree with you that the accountability should work both ways - NEIGTHER the organization nor the player should betray each other and if they do, then there should be repercussions, which are in some cases dire enough to involve public shaming and a resulting trade.

JayGoogle likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Young Lebron James, the entire narrative around him in playoff games was that he was too scared to take the big shot. He even had questions about it.

70% at the FT line is not good...

Harden Spurs series...

Kobe had like two series off the top of my head, 8th seed lakers vs Suns, dude just gave up. first Celtics series too he was terrible.

Numerous PG13 series..."Playoff P"

I mean you really gonna act like Simmons is the first star player to have a bad series or bad games o_O

His series wasn't even terrible, it was just typical Ben Simmons, low scoring, good defense, playmaking...but no scoring so the usual Ben Simmons.

Yeah...the fans turned on Ben Simmons WHEN he demanded a trade, not before.

I can't sometimes with you...you LITERALLY used that term, Publically shamed, YOU brought that term up. Not me. You.

You literally said he deserves to be shamed in public. You brought that up. Not me. So don't put the term in quotes as if I weren't just replying to your choice of words.

It's really not that serious, not sure what conspiracy theory you think is happening here. I said pages ago that how Simmons plays should be irrelevant to how he's treated as a teammate and a member of the 6ers.

Dude, it's literally what you said lol...that's how YOU first described it, not me.

Once again...here is you...

This is how YOU described it.

I disregard nothing because you're not even arguing my point. My point isn't about his play and about how the organization publicly called him out. The coach did and even worse the star player did...and all to the press AND in a presser to make it 10x worse.

Embiid even knows it was wrong because of how hesistant he was to say it,

#549 JayGoogle, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I will say for once and for all. I don't give a _____ about the sixers. All the odd "Oh Simmons defender!" and "Simmons Only Fan!" junk is just hyperbole to try and ignore the point I'm making. Name calling is always a tactic used to distract people from the actual point. Just like all the people thought I was a 'Giannis' defender because a huge chunk of this forum had a hate boner for him because he dare to trash talk their God Harden back and boy did Giannis get the last laugh...bet you won't see those people trashing his game now...

With that said, yes, that's exactly right. That's exactly my point. NOTHING to do with his play. I was here laughing at his play that series. Nothing to do with that and everything to do about standard team protocol.

And all those situations you brought up all of them ended poorly, ended with a coach fired or a player leaving, and that's for good reason and that's why you don't do it and most of them were moments merely caught, not someone saying it to a room full of mics. Like Butler's scrimmage or Durant and Green fighting on the sideline.

My entire point if you recall in this thread was to say "Well Sixers can't be too surprised he wants out after that..." that was it. That was my entire post and point. Nothing about how good or bad he was and it was simply "If I'm Ben I definitely want out of this situation." and since then I've been labeled the Simmons defender for looking at it from his POV.

#550 JayGoogle, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    foh likes this.
  11. foh

foh Member

His POV could be different, nobody attacked his character like in the other examples I mention. Embiid pointed at a specific play that he thought wasn't handled correctly - making it a specific action criticism. And Rivers didn't specify AT ALL what it is that he was not pleased with. That's why I thought you were overly sensitive with your take imho. Personally, I'd love for them to work it out where Simmons gets better from it and gets back into top 30 and then gets to fire Doc Rivers and Embiid a few years later :)

12. i3artow i3aller

13. dmoneybangbang

Passing up dunks and being afraid of contact is not standard team protocol. What you consistently fail to recognize is the "ISSUE" didn't start this season. It didn't start in 2021 playoffs.....

The fact that you disregard Simmon's actions and only focus on Doc's and Embiid's actions is what makes your argument so dumb, frankly.

14. dmoneybangbang

Nope that's not true and young Lebron is much better than Simmons as the numbers back up. Lebron wasn't afraid of contact, so just stop. You are wrong.

I said "embarrassing".

Nope, this goes back prior to this series.

Which was in response to your weird argument about Simmons:

You seem to expect to never have an organization call a player out for anything. You don't seem to think a max player should be accountable for his awful play.

Which is a stupid point. You are disregarding Simmon's actions and behaviors for his entire Sixers tenure and only focusing on what Embiid and Doc said.....

It's like you don't care about cause and effect, only protecting Simmons...

15. dmoneybangbang

And Simmon's play and lack of work ethic, which is related to the objective fact he has gotten worse, has been an issue for his entire Sixers tenure. Clearly Embiid, who has been playing with Simmons the longest, spoke up.

Simmons took the max money and all the expectations.... which involves getting called out. Case Closed.

16. i3artow i3aller

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Of course his POV could be different but people can't expect every one to react the same to that thing. All these 'tough love' people never seem to get that.

And the greater point here should be all those situations...none of them worked well. They all destroyed team chemistry and unity, all of them did.

I think people forget there is a human aspect here, these aren't just people Simmons know of, these are people he interacts with for most of the year, people he presumably talks to and has relations, good or bad, with, and what happened is they aired out family business. While Embiid pointed out a specific play, thanks to the question asked, he also put the entire L for game 7 (and the end to their season) at Simmons feet.

It's odd to me how people think its cool to air out stuff in public but I promise in most real life situations no one would be cool with it.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No.

Also there is only one person to blame for Westbrook’s terrible shot selection and 0 bball IQ. Westbrook. Not coaches. Not teammates. Westbrook.

That is all.

YOLO likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Huh? You're confusing on court and off court stuff. Dudes pass up dunks and easy shots all the time, every game even. You're talking about on court stuff and i'm talking about off court stuff and that's what has you confused.

https://heatnation.com/editorials/lebron-james-afraid-moment/

https://allucanheat.com/2012/03/05/why-wont-lebron-take-the-last-shot/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ls-the-cure-for-lebron-james-crunch-time-woes

You're wrong brah. These kind of articles and talk was popular around the tiem. In fact, Skip Bayless made a whole career of it.

Once again, you strawman. No one is talking about who was better. Lebrno was better. Duh. YOU asked was any other player scared of the moment, well, at the time, people thought Lebron was.

Oh that's even better, you used a vague term that is subjective, great...

Doesn't matter when your whole post assigns me to using that term. I used it only in response to YOUR posts because YOU used the term. Not me.

Publically calling a player out is very dumb of an organization to do. There are better ways to hold a player 'accountable' if that's what you want to do. Not sure why anyone thinks its normal for this to do. It isn't. And again, situations like these never end well. 6ers better hope Simmons never improves or this will be one large giant egg on their face.

The effect of playing badly should not be possibly insulting the player in public. That's usually not how things go.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man no one talks about Westbrook more than you around here lol.