1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons getting a new zip code?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Simply put, if he wasn't paid a franchise player's salary, team would be all over him. If you got a guy who is paid that much for that long and is not your franchise player, you are destined to mediocrity. Maybe there are teams that don't mind being mediocre for several years.

ArtV likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At this point it is not about getting value for Simmons
    It is NOT TAKING ON CRAP TO GET RID OF HIM!

While I like the players from the trade personally
    The Quitten to Portland trade landed the Rocket a bunch of flotsam

What ever team he goes to . . . MUST HAVE a #1 in place already
    maybe even a #2 as well

Ben will be a #3 at best

Not taking on the circumstances of each team . .. purely on talent alone and knowledge of the play
    Would anyone trade Jrue Holiday or Khris Middleton for Ben Simmons?
    I wouldn't

Rocket River

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

When I see a lanky kid from Greece with just raw athleticism work his ass off every year to be a better player and then I see a much-heralded prospect just being content with who he is as a professional basketball player....it makes me feel some type of way. I've disliked Giannis for various reasons over the years but he's always had my respect for his work ethic. Sure Giannis is not close to being a perimeter threat but he's developed moves to where he's not a total offensive liability.

Is Simmons a top 40 talent right now? Absolutely. Could he be, say, top 20? That's not hard but he has the necessary tools to become THE best player in the NBA. That's the most frustrating part. People point to Simmons' defense when others critique his offense but...why can't he have both? Players like LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis, etc. plays well on both ends of the floor. I don't see why we can't expect the same out of Simmons.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

well… yeah. Lol. Ain’t nobody comparing him to Giannis. He needs an attitude adjustment for sure.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

the only caveat is note is he can possible be a second best and definitely a third best player on a ring squad…. But one ideally where the best player isn’t your center.

basically Ben as your Draymond.

Ultimately the reality is it’s really really hard to win a ring in the nba now because those squads are stacked. The times when a less crazy stacked squad wins is when those squads are Injured… and even then he team that wins is still super super stacked.

6. futilman

futilman Member

I'll take him and fillers for Wall and KPJ.

Love KPJ but there are too many mouths to feed on this team

7. steddinotayto

I bring up Giannis because Simmons clearly had more talent coming into the league than Giannis did. But one player wanted it more, that attitude and work ethic drove said player to a HOF career. That's why I said Simmons is wasting it all away by being lazy.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I've been saying that for a while. Simmons is pretty much a weak minded Draymond. Everything Simmons does, Draymond can do, with a tougher attitude. Would anyone pay Draymond 35M a year for 5 years? No.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

exactly. which is what makes the trade difficult and why Morey will have to take peanuts.

If I am taking him:
    1. I am taking a complimentary player with a max slot in my cap table
    2. I need to have a #1 and a #2 around him, so that means I can’t be trading my #1 or #2 for him. I can’t be trading my DeAron Fox, for example, no way.
    3. Based on past, I am risking all kinds of drama and primadonna acts.

If you’re GM would you be hot and heavy for him, given the above?

ArtV, Easy and hakeem94 like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the irony of tanking!
    Sixers got rid of Jrue just to be able to lose on purpose 5 years in a row to get Ben Simmons lolololol and jru has won it all before sixers could even sniff the finals lololoil

NewAge likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the irony of tanking no 15
    sixers tanked 5 years to get benn simmons...bucks just drafted 2x MVP, finals MVP, NBA champion , NOW FACE OF THE NBA with 15th pick lolololololololol

cf:
    lets thank next 2 years, this years draft class is very good

NewAge likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. Giannis has all the same issues as Simmons still. Couldn't shoot free throws and is not a closer etc. The only difference between Giannis and Simmons is that Giannis is called the greek freak for a reason. Giannis just that much bigger and stronger than Ben Simmons now that he has grown into his body. Giannis can impose his well and get to the basket ala shaq cuz of his athelticism. If they switched bodies Ben simmons would dominate just as easily.

15. steddinotayto

You DO realize that Giannis' physique was a byproduct of actually working out and building that muscle mass right? That, in my opinion, is a part of Giannis having a better work ethic and drive to be better. He recognized areas of deficiencies early on (his slender frame) and he improved upon it over time. As for switching bodies, again, it's about the physical abilities as well as the drive--Giannis gets to the basket because he's determined to get there. Having a strong/muscular body means nothing without the mental fortitude to use it to one's advantage. And Ben Simmons might not cover 94 feet in a matter of steps like Giannis but he's far from having average or below average athleticism.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What an awful toxic situation Morey created. Came in there like a big shot wanting fireworks and got it.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

By no means is Ben Simmons a slouch. But Giannis is a specimen the nba has never seen. If he was more similar to Simmons he'd be pretty much useless. Teams don't even guard him on the perimeter and he still gets in the paint.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

This is Giannis in his rookie year:

[​IMG]

This is Simmons in his rookie year:

[​IMG]

Giannis was athletic coming into the league for sure but he didn't become the one man wrecking ball that he is now until he built up his body. Without him working on his body (which involved the desire and want to be bigger, better), Giannis would probably be a role player right now.

Both players came in with the same deficiencies but, and I'm thinking you'll agree with me here, Simmons was more polished whereas Giannis was still very raw. Sure both players still aren't 3 point threats but Giannis, at least, will hit the occasional open 3 and will drive to the rim when the opportunity is there. His driving spin move is devastating and that's not something he came into the league with...he worked on it. What has Simmons worked on in the 4 years he's been playing in the NBA? People have told him for years to improve on his jump shot and for years all he's done have viral videos of him shooting in practice but avoid it in real game situations.

red5rocket, IvanLCPM and Easy like this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty crazy how Morey has lost a ton of leverage with a player willing to sit out and take fines.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ben-sim...ey-eastern-conference-doc-rivers-news-update/

foh and Invisible Fan like this.