1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons as a Brooklyn Net

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Feb 15, 2022.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adam Silver: Players Under Contract Moving Teams Not Good For NBA

Adam Silver was asked for his assessment on what the data shows about player movement in the NBA in response to last week's trade of James Harden for Ben Simmons.

"First of all, I think we've all changed our view," said Silver.

Silver referenced a bygone era in which David Stern would discuss the superstars of the NBA such as Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan with how they were tied to a single franchise.

"Now what we're seeing in the league, first of all, shorter contracts," said Silver. "Which I don't think is a bad idea because one of the things we tried to do with our players association back beginning around 10 years ago was tie performance to pay in a closer way. And I think that's what we've seen with shorter contracts.

"The data shows that superstars moving isn't necessarily a bad thing because it allows bad situations to [resolve] in an orderly way, to change. It gives teams that may not be in a competitive position hope that they can sign one of those players.

"But shorter contracts to me is something very different and free agents moving at the end of contracts is different than what we just saw where you have players actively seeking to move while they're under contract. The data is clear on that, that's not good for the league."

3. i3artow i3aller

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

:confused:

What Silver says here has nothing to do with the title.

The title is about players under contract moving. He's talking about shorter contract is good.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3139321/202...ga-and-mvp-talk-all-star-weekend-revelations/

The Harden-Simmons saga explored

When the dust settles on All-Star weekend, the national spotlight will turn back to the same storyline that was front and center before the break: the James Harden-Ben Simmons trade that will likely tilt the balance of the power in the East.

But now that the Simmons part of the situation is resolved by way of the trade that sent him from Philadelphia to Brooklyn, with his season-long decision not to play on track to end in the somewhat near future, it’s worth wondering what the ripple effect of it all might be. On the business side, you had owners who privately griped about how it was a disaster scenario to have a star choose to be sidelined with three more seasons left on his deal.

On the league side, there’s the mental health component that’s wrapped up inside it all. Simmons, of course, cited his mental health as the main reason he wasn’t playing for the Sixers before seeing his losses reportedly total approximately $20 million. So, I asked NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, what did the league learn along the way regarding this issue that isn’t going away anytime soon?

“Stepping back and putting aside (the) individual dispute, (the Simmons situation is) a reminder that these are human beings in some of the most stressful jobs out there,” Silver said. “I don’t want to compare them to people putting their lives on the line and things like that. It’s a whole different level of stress, but in terms of the social media bubble they live in, the coverage that all of you provide and that we’re thankful for, people react to it in different ways, and it can be incredibly intense on them. We have to adjust in the way society is to understanding how social media can impact people, how the media coverage affects them.”

He wasn’t the only one with fresh thoughts on this Simmons-Harden saga that has dominated the headlines all season long.

Atlanta’s Trae Young, whose Hawks were routinely engaged with the Sixers in pursuit of Simmons heading into the trade deadline, shared his view of it all.

“I like to see things from both sides — both sides, both perspectives,” Young said. “As a player, I can see where Ben’s coming from (with his Sixers frustration). As a teammate, as a coach, you feel like they should always have your back. They’re your brother. You’re there grinding in the offseason, before the season started and then throughout the whole season you’re with each other.

“And then after the playoffs, everybody jumps on you as far as the fans, and then the team, your coach, and it feels like you just lose connection. So it’s hard to really go back to that. But at the same time, I mean, we all take constructive criticism, and we all got to learn and get better in our areas of growth. … I can see it from both sides and see where both sides can be frustrated.”

As for the basketball portion, the East is suddenly even more dangerous than before. As Golden State’s Draymond Green sees it, both sides upgraded in a major way.

“I think honestly, for me, you watched two Eastern conference teams make each other better,” Green, who recently signed a multiyear deal with TNT, told The Athletic. “I think they both got better in the trade. And I mean, I only have to face one of those teams (in the Finals). So it (doesn’t) really matter to me which one is better. Ultimately, to reach my goal, I’ve got to face one of them.

“(But) I don’t really get off on other people’s situations. Ben had his thing. James had his thing. …I don’t know all the details.”

sirjesse likes this.
  6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

He says players trying to move under contract is bad in the last sentence.

Richie_Rich and Easy like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cant wait for benn sitmonths to play again

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. i3artow i3aller

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Boop.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes... they are stacked....... lets see how often KD, Kyrie and Simmons actually all play together.

They were even BETTER before, but KD is breaking down after carrying them..... Kyrie is a weirdo that decided to take the season off and Harden decided he wasn't going through the Rockets 2.0 again but in NJ.

Also the spacing with Simmons and Drummond on the floor together? ouch.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Kyrie, Mills, Cam, Seth, and Dragic…these are all horrid defenders

Jontro likes this.
  14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

It will be interesting how often Kyrie can play in the playoffs. I can't see them winning the East if he only plays half the games.

Simmons on the floor with Drummond will be terrible for spacing and they'll definitely need both on the floor vs Philly and Embiid. Nets have noone else that can defend Embiid.

Nook likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Lose nets lose!!

BelgianRocketsFan and Jontro like this.
  16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's a very nice 2K roster.

I think there's a chance neither team has a longer playoff run than they had last season. All of the most important players on their rosters are I won't believe it, until I see it types. Embiid and Durant's health. Harden's preformances in closeout games. Kyrie and Simmons are both headcases. And they both have sketchy headcoaches.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If it was about 6-7 years ago maybe. Team goes as Durant goes. If he’s healthy they are a top seed. If he’s out they miss the playoffs. Rest of those geriatrics, Mr. Quit and Mr. Qanon don’t matter without Durant.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

so many people are picking brooklyn and I just can't see it given where they sit in the standings, and where we are in the season, with all the uncertainty of when ben will be ready and get into shape, kyrie half time status, and all these new faces to try and find the right lineups, define roles, and build chemistry. they have a lot of guards who have similar games and are small. dragic is 35 years old.

simmons is a playmaker you don't really have to guard at times, and KD and kyrie are ball stoppers. its an interesting mix of talent but I just can't see this team being as good as everyone says, at least not this year. Im anxious to see them all on the court though.

19. dchoye

dchoye Member

Look good on paper but barely holding on to a playoff spot.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. i3artow i3aller