1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Roethlisberger?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ottomaton, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw this a few days ago, and didn't post then because it seems pretty speculative, and not very substantive. However, in the last couple of days, posts in a few of the threads have gotten pretty chippy, so I thought this might mix up the discussion a bit.

I'm not sure the idea of giving up what you'd need to give up in order to get a 32 year old stopgap is all that great, but it would definitely lock down the position for at least next year. Presumably it would also come with a 1 or 2 year extension.

source

[Rquoter]
    Ben Roethlisberger Trade Market Rumors

Published Jan. 24, 2013*
    By Charlie Campbell -*@draftcampbell*

Like last year, this draft doesn't feature an elite quarterback prospect such as Andrew Luck, Cam Newton or Matthew Stafford. Thus, some of the quarterback-needy teams at the top of draft are considering the veteran quarterback market for a solution to their problem. The turnaround success of the Chiefs after trading for Alex Smith last season serves as an example of what a veteran quarterback can do for a team.*

One quarterback to keep an eye on for a potential trade market is Steelers veteran Ben Roethlisberger.*

Roethlisberger turns 32 in March and is entering the final year of his contract. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that there is some reluctance of the Rooney family to give Roethlisberger another big contract. Pittsburgh has had a history of letting pricey veterans leave when they hit the later years of their career, and Roethlisberger's off-the-field issues haven't been forgotten by ownership. At 32 years old, this is Pittsburgh's last shot at having quality trade value for him. The Steelers also have an aging defense that needs to be rebuilt, and they could decide to start a youth movement in Pittsburgh.*

In speaking to Roethlisberger's camp, their priority is for him to re-sign with the Steelers and they want him to finish his career in Pittsburgh. However, they also want a big pay day. They want Roethlisberger to be paid like the other top quarterbacks in the NFL, and they know that this is his last shot at a big contract in Roethlisberger's career. If the Steelers aren't willing to pay it, they would be willing to look elsewhere for it.*

Teams that WalterFootball.com has heard could be interested in trading for Roethlisberger include the Houston Texans and Arizona Cardinals. The Texans selection at the top of the second round and a 2015 conditional pick could mimic what the Chiefs gave for Alex Smith last year. Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians coached Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, and Arizona could use Roethlisberger to put the Cardinals over the top to get into the postseason in the NFL's toughest division.*

A trade market for Roethlisberger hasn't started started cooking yet, but the ingredients are in place. There are interested teams, a pricey contract and reluctant ownership. Once the contract negotiations begin, don't be surprised if trade discussions pick up some steam.*
    [/rquoter]

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't see the Texans doing that because Ben's cap hit was almost 19 million next year and I don't think they could make that much cap hit even if they wanted to use Ben as a stop-gap QB.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

More drivel from someone who does not know the Texans salary cap situation...

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you would think the Texans have 19 mil to spend on Ben Roethlisberger this year.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

It doesnt surpise me that you think I was talking about you.... I was talking about Charlie Campbell.

6. YaosDirtyStache

Id take him.

But every man in Houston would have to hide their wives.

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Obligatory:

And their wives ;)[​IMG]

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm all for it but Big Ben would want too much money.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Why you wanna do that to the women of Houston?

1 person likes this.
  10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Would take him in a heartbeat, one of the most physical QB in the game and a good veteran

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Pittsburgh is not shopping him. He will be a Steeler until he expires.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Even if the Texans had the money, I still wouldn't want him. Draft and develop a young QB. There are no shortcuts at that position.