1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fmontana10, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

2. htown1984

htown1984 Member

..LOL

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because those other teams don't think that highly of Gordon? They will take a bet on him only of they have the option of keeping him at a minimum wage for next year if he happens to work out. Also gives them a chance to use an nonguaranteed contract in a trade.

4. htown1984

htown1984 Member

you can use him this year, why worry about next year right now. .We are a championship team contender, and could use him if he comes back to form, why not take a chance...Clippers, Spurs, Heat, OKC.. Seem to take this deals all the time.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Isn't it too late for him to be eligible for the playoffs now?

It will take 48 hours to clear waivers and isn't March 1st the last day for a player that has played in the NBA this year to be able to sign and be eligible for the playoffs?

SO CONFUSED !

DD

6. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I think i saw on twitter that he has to be bought out by 12 midnight (not sure if tomorrow (or Sunday)

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I hardly ever question Morey, but it is more than a little frustrating watching all the other alleged contenders upgrading at every turn while we do nothing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think you just created a new way to express our frustrations: fokc. I like it.

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This!

10. Carl Herrera

The Rockets (and other teams) may have agreed to this with someone they really value. But Ben Gordon is likely at a level where teams feels like they can find other guys who are at a similar level and who would actually agree to a 2nd year team option.

Gordon is a "name" but he hasn't done much for at least a couple years and there are other competent free agents out there, whether we are talking former NBA guys, D-League guys, or those currently playing in China or Europe.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There's an R Fernandez I'd be happy to give our remaining exception to. Just sayin'...

12. Carl Herrera

Don't know about his contract status, but plenty of guys out there who has as much, or perhaps more, potential to contribute compared to Ben Gordon. Perhaps there is a "Patrick Beverley" out there toiling in a foreign league that can be bought out of his contract. Perhaps Marcus Camby or Charlie V would be just as useful in providing depth at a big spot given Greg Smith's injury.

The market really isn't "Ben Gordon or bust."

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO Charlie V is the 'or bust'.

I read, or think I did recently, that Fernandez' year was done overseas. He and Llull or supposed to be close.

Again, just sayin'...

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

[​IMG]

The Rockets haven't transcended beyond flaky playoff team status.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I've been told by former members of Clutchfans that the Euroleagues are far superior to the NBA, so I struggle to see why anyone would want to come over here and join our little village squadron.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Had to just let that one go...

17. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Have you forgotten about the great Jordan Hamilton?

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The problem is guys like Garcia and Casspi are really good to have near the end of the bench, so it would be hard to release them to pick up someone else. The guys that are being picked up are probably not much better than they are right now. However, the guys that SHOULD be on the bench/out of the rotation, DMo and Jones, are not good enough to be where they are but could be valuable in the future, which is why they're on the team. They're not very good now but there's no way to get anyone better at this point of the season since you can't get rid of them. This is a roster construction failure that started in the off-season and was never corrected, making it hard to fix at this stage.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Like who?

Granger is garbage, all of his advanced statistics don't even warrant an NBA contract. He is shooting 31% inside and 35% outside. He is just terrible.

Caron Butler is nothing special at this point, but is still a decent 9-10th man. He choose to go to a better team than the Rockets, not shocking.

So who does that leave? Glen Davis? A guy that isn't special and is with his old coach in LA?

There is a reason these guys were bought out or cut, they are names but not good players. We haven't really missed out on anyone.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think we have a shot, if we get third seed, play dallas, play san antonio and then anything can happen vs OKC, they've never really played us at full strength.