1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben DuBose: Fertitta’s goal is limiting the “bad years” to one or two seasons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csnerd84, Mar 31, 2021.

1. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Link to full article here.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Where is my skeptic laugh button?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wait, let me get this straight: Tilman now realizes the value of draft picks? You mean they aren’t just a way to get under the luxury tax?

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Absolute comedy, we are witnessing a guy throw away a billion dollars in value just on this one endeavor. His failed SPAC is now a penny stock as well. We are going to see a lot of people who benefitted from a 10+ year bull run be humbled.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Y'all didn't read Ben DuBose' article and it shows.

Yay! Clutchfans is becoming so awesome! Post a response without reading a lick! It's what most of you do these days! Probably don't watch the games either.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Fertitta's goal is to raise revenue faster, nothing more or less.

Btw, he will also limit the good years because having homecourt and wining 1 or 2 rounds is a far better return on investment than spending the luxury tax and having a better chance at the title. When someone says they'll spend luxury tax when it's worth it, that's total BS never happens. No trade will guarantee you a title, so it's an imaginary threshold.

They're going to fumble this rebuild. The 3 of them will fall in love with their own trades and overhype the talent, go in early and lock our salaries such that adding salary is difficult but lateral trades can contribute to selling stories/narratives. I really hope not but that's the feeling I'm getting.

Just tank. You're cheap AF and it's the cheapest way. Don't waste our time on a treadmill team. You're starting from a bad position having sent out as much for Westbrook/Wall as we received for Harden. That's the number one thing that f'ed us. We waited all that time cautious with our future picks then these monkeys forced Morey to cash then in for a player he knows can't be on the floor in a critical difficult game.

God I can't wait till there's some kind of leak that forces Tilman to sell. Same as what happened with Sterling and Clippers. Should we pool our money together for a private investigator?

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

if tillmen says so, then i believe him. he has never let the city down before.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I saw this coming...they don’t want some prolonged rebuild...this year is top 4 pick or bust, because they will be making moves to compete whether they’re shortsighted or not

if we lose our pick this year it will be a setback of epic proportions, and they’ll move forward with this KPJr, Wood, Tate, and KJ core thinking it’s something u build around for prolonged success

they really think the team would’ve made the playoffs this year if not for injuries

JuNx, mike2k132, Der Rabbi and 11 others like this.
  10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think old mate Ben might have had an auto-correct.

Think 'years' was meant to say 'decades' with Tilly in charge.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Tillman Fertitta has huge Regrets in buying the Rockets.

Overpaying for the Rockets, Daryl Morey literally destroyed the Chinese Revenue of the Rockets. The Virus made him lose Ticket Sales, Merchandise, Food Sales.

James Harden leaves and Loses the Face of the Face. There goes your Jersey Sales and TV Revenue, Ticket Sale by a little.

12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Only a Chinese Owner can fix the Relationship with China.

Corrosion and tycoonchip like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I been saying it that Tilman doesn't have the stomach to be this bad another season. That's why this year is so critical that we get that top pick. If only the basketball gods are not as cruel as the nba draft simulator machine I played with.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pretty bland comments for anybody to get upset about one way or another.

Sure he wants to rebuild quickly. Me too! That's generally the exception rather than the rule - it usually takes 4+ years to totally swap out your roster unless you're the Lakers getting LeBron or something

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Who would've thought that a team led by wall and not Harden would be injury-prone? Harden was worth every penny because he laced up night in and night out.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Until the end, certainly 100 percent.

Jontro and BigShasta like this.
  17. conquistador#11

Whether it was a natural tank or a manufactured at the lab tank, get the top 4 pick and everything starts falling into place. Now you play a season with Wood/ Tate/Cade/KPJ/ Wall with no injuries that's a borderline play off team with Wall coming off the books and Gordon having some value to get you a vet . Could be that trading for the MASH unit was the plan all along to get that desired lotto pick or just lucked into the situation but I like it!***

***disregard my post if Rockets finish with the worst record and land the 7th pick. I'll be on suicide watch.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's not much of an article though. What else is he going to say? "Get ready fans, it's gonna be a long haul before we even sniff a winning percentage again!"

anyway. but agree with your statement that Clutchfans is awesome. Night in, night out. ;)

juanm34 and don grahamleone like this.
  19. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Pretty accurate, though looking back the loss of Chinese revenue can't be blamed purely on Morey. US/China relations are way more difficult now than they were when Les owned the team, so a loss of revenue wasn't totally unpredictable. That's why the Sixers were still willing to hire Morey.

Roomba and daywalker02 like this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I don’t think it’s difficult to decipher this short-term-tank goal from all the moves and near-moves since the James Harden trade.