1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Carson: A Muslim President is against the US Constitution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kim Davis might like to have a word, Dr. Carson... <a href="https://t.co/l4ZairXKWa">https://t.co/l4ZairXKWa</a></p>&mdash; Joy Reid (@JoyAnnReid) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/646145703987834880">September 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Except that we can determine what the base republican thinks by which candidates they push in the primaries.

So based on who is leading in the primaries right now, today's base GOP loves bombastic individuals who love disparaging minority groups and defends their positions by creating a narrative that America is being destroyed by the 'pc police' and people who believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Its amazing you need this spelled out for you for like the 40th time. The GOP are not the arbiters of what is and isn;t conservative. You won't be able to attack conservatism by attacking the GOP. You want us to judge liberalism by Hillary's actions?

4. fchowd0311

What you are referring to is libertarianism. Conservatism has inherent religious dogmatic elements.
    Libertarians often try to cut out social conservatism from their ideology and only focus on the scope of government.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Why all this debate?
    Is USA a theocracy? No.
    Do youthink someone who came from democratic means in power and probably is in the political arena for decades will suddendly absolve the constitution?
    That is completely laughable.

Plus there are many muslim countries in the world that don't follow the sharia law.

6. tallanvor

No. Libertarians and Conservatives disagree on national defense. There is no religious beliefs in conservatism.

7. fchowd0311

Yes there is. At the very least there is a STRONG correlation. We are referring to American conservatism, correct?

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It appears your sensitivities were riled up. Nothing in my post suggests there are only two positions. You can feel free to read my post again and think about it again. Or not... Either way, that's not what I said at all. I also have no prejudice as far as allegiance goes. I have no political affiliation and just think about most issues on a case by case basis under the context of past precedent and current dynamics. So I have nothing to gain from "projecting" anything.

Also, perhaps look up the definition of what projecting is because you have no idea what it means.

Lastly, you should think twice before making worthless posts that add nothing to a discussion. That's more of a problem than anything I said.

9. tallanvor

It is a frustrating issue for conservatives and ill explain why. Any time a conservative wants to debate the merits of individual liberty or limited government, the intellectually lazy left chime in with something along the lines of 'you're all racists and hate women' and then pretend like our beliefs are faith based and therefore irrational. It's impossible to get a meaningful discussion with these lazy morons cause they are to saddled with their prejudices and it make them close minded. Here Carson is preaching that Sharia law goes against religious freedoms and limited government and the only response the lazy left can give is to call him a hateful bigot. Why not debate the point he made? Why not explain why Sharia Law doesn't go against the Constitution? Because that would require the lazy left to get off their ass and think for a change. Easier just to call him hateful.

We just saw this play out earlier this week with Ahmed. SO much easier for the left to just scream 'racist' then actually discuss how over zealous the cops were.

#89 tallanvor, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I like a lot of conservative positions. I dislike others. It happens.

In this instance what you are claiming is not all that Carson was saying. The subtle implications of what he was saying were different. I think franchiseblade pointed those out well enough.

If it was just his point that sharia law is incompatible with the constitution, I would completely agree with him as I've already mentioned. Again, it's just the notion that a Muslim should have to jump through hurdles and make a public spectacle to show they don't believe in that stuff is ridiculous and hypocritical.

It would be easily figured out from any potential Muslim candidate's positions and comments what they truly believed.

As far as my comment that he took exception to. Maybe I should say "conservatives in the Republican Party (I.e. 90% of the conservatives in this country)"

Would that make it more accurate for you guys?

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://wizbangblog.com/2015/06/24/f...s-believe-sharia-better-than-us-constitution/

When asked how they define “sharia,” 71 percent essentially see sharia as a guide for all aspects of a Muslim’s life, one more important than the US way of life or US law.

When asked if sharia should replace the Constitution only 43 percent said no and an astounding 33 percent said yes.
    So, when asked straight on a small majority shied from saying the want the Constitution replaced with sharia.

But American Muslims came closer to how they really feel when they were asked if they thought Muslims in the USA should be judged under US law. Only 30 percent said that US courts should be first and foremost as the place for adjudicating legal matters while 51 percent said that they should be allowed to ignore US law and be free to use their own sharia courts instead.

Again, 51 percent agreed that US Muslims should be allowed to choose sharia courts over US law. This is astounding and shows that a large number of Muslims don’t have any vested interested in the American way of life and feel that Islam should replace American law.

Worse these people saw no conflict between sharia and US law, either. An amazing 60 percent said that sharia is no different than US law and further felt that sharia is compatible with the US Constitution.

12. tallanvor

He was asked directly about Islam........................

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Carson just finished doing the same thing. 'Would you accept a Muslim as president?' 'No, Muslims all take Sharia very seriously and will have more allegiance to Sharia than they will to the ideals enshrined in the US Constitution.' That's essentially what he did. So, why should we try to square the Constitution with Sharia (which I agree can't be done)? Carson was talking about Muslims, not Sharia.

The moderator asks about Islam, but Carson wants to talk about Muslims instead and paints them with a very large brush. He says unequivocally that a Muslim should not be president. He even highlights the all-encompassing nature of this prejudice by saying it would be different for Congress, that for Congress it would matter what sort of Muslim he was. Apparently any sort of Muslim is unfit for the presidency in his eyes. Maybe by then he was realizing his mistake and was trying to do some damage control, but it is what he said. Here's the transcript:

[rquoter]CHUCK TODD:

Let me wrap this up by finally dealing with what's been going on, Donald Trump, and a deal with a questioner that claimed that the president was Muslim. Let me ask you the question this way: Should a President's faith matter? Should your faith matter to voters?

DR. BEN CARSON:

Well, I guess it depends on what that faith is. If it's inconsistent with the values and principles of America, then of course it should matter. But if it fits within the realm of America and consistent with the constitution, no problem.

CHUCK TODD:

So do you believe that Islam is consistent with the constitution?

DR. BEN CARSON:

No, I don't, I do not.

CHUCK TODD:

So you--

DR. BEN CARSON:

I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.

CHUCK TODD:

And would you ever consider voting for a Muslim for Congress?

DR. BEN CARSON:

Congress is a different story, but it depends on who that Muslim is and what their policies are, just as it depends on what anybody else says, you know. And, you know, if there's somebody who's of any faith, but they say things, and their life has been consistent with things that will elevate this nation and make it possible for everybody to succeed, and bring peace and harmony, then I'm with them.[/rquoter]

14. tallanvor

You are 100% lying about what he said. He said he had no problem with Muslims who denounce Sharia and said he would not support a Christian theocracy. Love that you cut off the transcript before he says he would be fine with any non-Sharia Muslim. Totally honest Juan......

15. fchowd0311

How many Christians would say Biblical law doesn't conflict with the constitution?

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess it's a debate because Carson is like religious nutball factor 12 and he's posing a religious litmus test for non-Christians in order to become President of the United States.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Which Christians are living under biblical law and is one of them running for president?

Remember how so many went ape-**** over evangelical Christian candidates in years past....

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reading through Carson's remarks I agree that he isn't saying that Constitutionally a Muslim can't be President but that he personally is against having a Muslim president unless that person renounces Sharia. That is fine for him as a personal opinion but I still say he is hypocrite considering so much of his campaign is based upon religious views down to his tax proposal which he says is based upon Biblical tithing.

Further who those who say that he is only talking about denouncing Sharia and not about Islam in general he does go further than that. He said did say that the swearing in should be done on a stack of Bibles and not a Koran. That is specifically him advocating for a religious test that is beyond just saying what may or may not be compatible with the Constitution. A test like that would itself specifically violate the Establishment Clause since it requires a specific holy book from one religion.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is a guy who claims evolution was created by the devil. Other than the fact that he's a black conservative and that makes conservatives all tingly, why in the hell is he anywhere near the top of any presidential polling? I know that's a rhetorical question given the other GOP candidates.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A friend of mine who is heavily involved in the local Republican party also was wondering about the popularity of Carson. The way I see it is that he both has a very compelling life story and even though he says a lot of extreme things his style is very measured and he does speak with a lot of gravitas. His positions are pretty much Santorum's and Huckabee's but as he eloquently put it in the debate he is more than a shrill cultural warrior like those two but has a record of accomplishment outside of politics.

I'm also not going to discount the race factor. That was part of the appeal that have made previous black Republicans like Alan Keyes and Herman Cain popular and a way for the right to counter charges of racism.