1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beltran hears first boos from Mets fans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Not sure if we can still post Beltran articles here, but I thought you guys would like to see this....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7152268/

Star outfielder loses two balls in sun in loss to Orioles

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Carlos Beltran lost two balls in the sun during the same inning and heard his first round of boos from New York Mets fans.

Beltran couldn’t catch drives hit to center by Baltimore’s Javy Lopez and David Newhan, and the Orioles scored six runs in the fourth inning en route to an 8-2 victory Thursday over the Mets.

Lopez was credited with a two-run double after Beltran dropped to one knee and couldn’t hold on to the ball that came at him out of a blinding sun that was situated over the grandstand and directly behind home plate.

Later in the inning, Beltran appeared to let up as Newhan’s drive flew over him for a triple that drove in two more runs.

“The first one, I’m 100 percent sure I caught it,” Beltran said. “The second one, I didn’t see it. Since the first inning, I just let the corner guys know I might need some help.”

Mets manager Willie Randolph wasn’t alarmed that Beltran, a defensive star in center fielder, made the misplays. The spring training crowd of 7,203 wasn’t as forgiving, however, and fans sent boos toward New York’s biggest offensive acquisition.

“It’s the sun,” Randolph said. “What are you going to do? It didn’t look good but that’s a tough sun out there. They lost one, too. The bottom line is that’s part of the elements. You don’t worry about that.”

Newhan lost sight of Mike Piazza’s double in the fifth inning.

“A day like today, it’s kind of like in Arizona,” Newhan said. “The sun was straight and high, right above center. You saw the other guy an inning before. I knew it was going to go into the sun and I was just hoping it would come back out. I was one yard off of it.

“Thank God, because it probably would have hit me in the face.”

Larry Bigbie led off the fourth inning with a solo homer off Mets starter Steve Trachsel. Rafael Palmeiro added an RBI single against Trachsel, who allowed four hits and five runs in 3 1-3 innings.

Baltimore’s Jay Gibbons hit a two-run homer off Mike Dejean in the eighth.

Mets catcher Jason Phillips knocked in two runs with a bases-loaded single off Rodrigo Lopez in the first inning. Lopez gave up four hits and three walks in three innings.

Notes: Gibbons started in place of DH B.J. Surhoff, who was scratched from the lineup before the game because of a strained right groin.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

boras is currently in negotiations with the sun.

3. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

classic.

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

So, is it safe to say Beltran is going to hear boos in Houston?

5. MadMax

absolutely. not from everyone. but there will be boo-birds out for him.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Good!

I'm sure he'll be totally fine come the regular season, but I'd like to see him do as badly as possible. That sellout fool. It's do dumb because he woulda saved more money in taxes here in Texas than he woulda made by signing with the Mets over the Astros. He's still a ways off from the Karla/Quitten level, but he's getting up the Eddie Griffin level for me.

7. MadMax

i've heard too many people close to him tell me how great a guy he is for me to get him to that level. but he'll get some boos from me, i'm sure.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Good!! I wish he could have done like Canseco and have the ball go off his head and into the stands.

9. fya

fya Member

Boos, ice cubes, beer, hot dogs............you name it and i'll be glad to throw it.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

you can't waste the beer and hot dogs....please have some consideration for how good those things are.....can't waste them on him.

11. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

E X A C T L Y

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Good points.

Throw stuff that cant benefit you...like dead batteries.

I cant wait for Clemens to pitch to him.

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I can't help but wish for bad things for him. He took all the magic of last years postseason and craped on it. Here's to his ACL blowing out in spring training.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, I am almost as excited to play the cubs as I am to BOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Carlass Beltran

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The next thing they do is start throwing batteries. Personally, I'll have a car battery ready for Beltran's return...

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As much as I'm dissapointed about Carlos not being with the Astros, the fact that he just ended up with the Mets (rather than the Cubs) puts me more at ease, and lessens my ability to "hate" him.

Why? Because I know the Mets (untill they catch lightning in a bottle) will always be a high-paid dissapointment (of course, Omar Minaya could change that... then again, good GM's tend to make more questionable decisions when they have lots of $$$).

Also, they're not (and never will be) in our division... and the 86 series pain has pretty much subsided, especially since none of those Mets' phenoms (Gooden and Strawberry) never amounted to much in baseball, or life (kinda makes you feel sorry for them).

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Don't throw things - we aren't Philly fans. Or - toss monopoly money at him.

That's life - nobody loves sports mercenaries, they merely tolerate them - until they make the slightest mistake - then the boo-birds come out.

18. Shotcaller

Shotcaller Member

thats great

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Houston's favorite sun.

LOL AM I RITE AM I RITE.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

haha good one. die beltran.