1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beltran having second thoughts about Stros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by fya, Aug 12, 2004.

1. fya

fya Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/221051p-190038c.html

Carlos Beltran started in center field last night at Shea for the fading Astros, but it sounds like he could wind up manning that position in the Bronx next season.
    It sounds that way because, according to Beltran, Bernie Williams is all for it.

"I talked to him this year," Beltran said before his Astros took on the Mets, "and he said, 'Man, I wish you could play for my team. If you play for my team, I'd move.'"

Beltran, the 27-year-old, five-tool star the Astros obtained from the Royals in a pennant push, is due to become one of baseball's most sought-after free agents this offseason. He said he wants two things in his future home: the chance to play for a postseason contender, and the opportunity to play center.

The Yankees, who are sure to court Beltran, definitely can meet one of those conditions. As for the other, the Bombers, of course, have the 35-year-old Williams, who is signed for next season and has an option for 2006.

"I'm young," Beltran said. "I'm 27. If I go there, it would have to be for me to play center field."

But based on Beltran's conversation with Williams, which occurred when the Royals visited the Yankees earlier this season, it appears Williams wouldn't stand in the way.

"So that really gave me a good (feeling)," said Beltran, who added that Williams, his Puerto Rican countryman, is also his favorite player. "And at the same time, I say that I wish I could have the opportunity to play with him on the same ballclub. I think it would be great for me. He's always been the guy that I've looked up to since before I signed. I think it would be great if I got the opportunity to play with him."

Of course, it also would be great for the Yankees, who would instantly get younger at a key position.

So far in Houston, the acquisition of Beltran hasn't worked out. At 55-57, the Astros trail the Cubs by six games in the wild-card race. Beltran's overall numbers look good (.263, 27 homers, 77 RBI), but with the Astros he is hitting .235 with a .316 on-base percentage in 40 games after going 0 for 4 last night.

"We're not playing the game right," said Beltran, who also made an error in the Mets' three-run fourth. "When we need to get a hit, we don't get a hit. We don't make the right pitch when we're supposed to make the right pitch. We just haven't been together since I got traded here."

That kind of play would go over even worse in New York. Beltran insists, however, that he could handle the pressure of playing here.

"I don't worry about me," he said. "I worry about doing my thing, doing my job and helping my team. It seems like in New York, there's always a lot of media and they're always picking on little things, but sometimes you've got to be strong mentally and forget about it and just go out there and take care of your business.

"I think I'd be pretty good," Beltran added with a smile. "I'm a very confident guy."

Sounds like he is as good as gone.

2. fya

fya Member

Sorry, delete this post....I didn't see that it had been already posted.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why didn't he talk with Bernie Williams a few weeks ago when we could have traded him before the deadline...:p

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This just in....

ASTROS HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT BELTRAN !!!

5. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

After the way he has hit since joining the Astros....I am having second thoughts. As somone posted on another site....he is Brad Ausmus with some pop.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I just can't watch baseball these days. Entirely too painful. Between the Astros being the most spineless team in baseball, the Sox giving up Nomar, and Pedro thinking about defecting to the evil empire...

who cares? I don't feel like being pissed off every day.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

man, i share your pain. i'm a stros/red sox fan too!

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Don't forget Walker to the Cards and as a Phillies fan watching Rolen whomp the hell out of everybody is just sickening.

(sigh)

Texans start Saturday!!!!!

9. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

Me too, and it sucks right now...

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Don't forget when J.D. turned his back on the Phillies.