1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Believe it or not: Josh Smith asked to get DMoted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 6, 2015.

?

Believe it or not? Did Josh Smith asked to get DMoted?

1. Believe it!

47.8%
  2. Not!

34.3%
  3. I abstain, courteously.

18.0%
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I believe it but not because Josh Smith is trying to make some huge sacrifice for the team.

I think a) the understanding was that he would still play essentially starter minutes and b) he would have more touches with the bench. Coming off the bench being a part of the offense will get him a better contract next year than starting and playing the garbage man role and being the 5th option.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Josh is cool with helping the team however he can. He's not going to start any drama and hopes to stay here

3. Lando

Lando Member

J Smooth is a cheap, work in progress, with much more upside then downside.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

I believe what Worrell said. But due to the poll options, I would prefer to abstain -- courteously I might add.

5. Houston288South

Yes, this is very true. My friend told me this and he works within. Go Rockets!

6. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

When will Dwight ask the same?

7. rockets13champs

Right now we need more team chemistry

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if Dwight's friendship with Josh makes things a little awkward for everyone.

Obviously this is not a Josh Powell (or Chris Smith) situation where the personal relationship is the primary reason for signing him-- many other teams without Dwight on the roster went after Josh Smith because he is a good gamble at this price.

On the other hand, we do know that Dwight is buddies with Josh and wants him here. Maybe this makes the rest of the team look at Josh a little side-eyed, especially when he started and struggled. Maybe they looked at Dwight a little side-eyed, too, for maybe having certain sway with the front office and coaching staff. Maybe the teammates are generally OK but Dwight and Josh are self-conscious about this. It's like Dwight brought home a stray puppy and he is now responsible every time the puppy poops on the carpet or chews JB Bickerstaff's shoes.

Hopefully it all works out, though. It is OK to have some growing pains adjust to new lineups, the important thing is that guys make all out effort on the court rather than that **** we saw in New Orlean.i

1 person likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Because nothing in Josh Smith's career leads me to believe he'd rather come off the bench and start.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe it for a second, but if it actually happened I'd have a lot more respect for Smith. He doesn't strike me as someone that is self-aware enough to know that he's best coming off the bench.

11. CertifiedTroll

He wants the 6 man role so he gets that neon green light from the 3 point line.

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

people need to stop sooking about him taking threes, it is our game plan, D Mo is just as bad and overall we are not a good three point shooting team anyway

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he doesn't take that many threes anyway, just 2 a game

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe it, he probably sees what the media is saying, and knows he needs to resurrect his image a bit - good for him to put the team first.

DD

15. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Believe it or not?!?! NOT :grin:

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

This is true. I think I honestly cringe just as much when Ariza takes a three as when J-Smoove does

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Dude is a vet who has made the majority of the money he will make in the NBA already. Maybe winning is the most important thing to him at this point. Maybe he has that hunger now or maybe it's more complicated. The guy isn't a fool and has to be aware of his reputation. Being known as an unselfish teammate on a Championship team would basically erase all of that in the mind of the collective media and most fans.

18. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

LOL true.

If he had any self awareness he'd have molded himself into a great player in this league. Instead he chunks up long 2s and 3s...

19. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

I think the coaches and Josh sat down, looked at the games he started and told him that he would be more effective coming off the bench. That simple. And it's made us all happier and the team better.
    Hopefully Smith can have a part in helping the team reverse the funk that they're in. He was effective against a quality, taller Bulls team.
    In his two games off the bench, he's been impactful. He could be the difference in a few games this season, especially against strong teams. Hope it happens.

20. Lightsnowaction

Josh Smith should be the go-to guy role off the bench that can mid range shots from time to time, but not 3s. Why not be a sixth man? Makes our bench produce elite production.