1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Belichick: Houston field ‘one of the worst’

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by KingCheetah, Jan 5, 2010.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I thought we had one of the best fields in the league -- any truth to this ?
    _____

Belichick: Houston field ‘one of the worst’

Bill Belichick says star receiver Wes Welker was hurt on a field in Houston that was in terrible condition.

Welker, who led the NFL with 123 receptions, suffered a serious left knee injury in a 34-27 loss to the Texans on Sunday on what Belichick called “one of the worst fields I’ve seen.”

He did not elaborate Tuesday on remarks he made a day earlier during his weekly appearance on WEEI radio. Belichick said the field was inconsistent— spongy in parts and hard in others—causing players to get a different feel with each step.

Belichick said a lot of non-contact injuries like Welker’s occur on such surfaces.

Asked several times about the field on Tuesday, Belichick said he is focusing on Sunday’s home playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens.

link

2. trickywhiteguy

He is full of it. I played on that field my Sr. year in highschool and that is by far the best field i have ever played on, it does have a wired smell to it but that a diffrent story. But the field was great, I've been on the turff at Texas Stadium and also at Alamodome, also Kyle Field and Rice Stadium and Relient is by far the best! He is just saying that to cover his a$$ for playing Wes

3. v3.0

v3.0 Member

bad playing surface is part of Houston football legacy

[​IMG]

4. The Cat

The Cat Member

Keep in mind the Texas Bowl was played on Thursday, so that may not have helped matters...

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Reliant's field used to be awful the first two years when they were tweaking the system.

They projected wrongly that the field would get enough sunlight if the roof remained open during the day to keep the grass healthy, what followed was a disaster.

That has been fixed, though.

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's his opinion. I'm sure the field was a bit worn in some areas...it's the last game of the season and there was a bowl game a few days earlier. Welker is one of my fave players...don't like seeing anyone go down like that...but it could've happened anywhere included gilette especially if the surface is frozen.

7. DieHard Rocket

It probably was pretty crummy after Texas Bowl and with the weather we've been having, but what are you gonna do? Injuries happen. Could have happened on any field, and it's not like every field can be in pristine condition every week.

8. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

He and Brady are a perfect compliment. Since they are both crybaby p*****s.

9. Landlord Landry

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UD1GiJEi1cY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UD1GiJEi1cY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

10. Ashes

Ashes Member

Lol, is that real?

11. Kimble14

Kimble14 Member

^^^ Show 5603 -- aired one year ago tomorrow. "Sore Losers" for $1000.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I saw Brian Billick on Mike & Mike yesterday morning, he said he did a Texans game a month ago and the field looked fine. I'm sure you all remember him pulling the Ravens off the field in philly. Can it really be that bad? Sounds like bs excuses to me. Maybe to take some of the pressure off of him for playing his guys in for them a meaningless game

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Did anyone else hear the clip of Belichick totally crushing Charley Casserly in his radio show yesterday? Casserly said Brady played with 3 broken ribs and to say Belichik unloaded on him would be a major understatement.

I'm sure one of you will post a link from YouTube like always.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Gosh Bill if it is so bad than how stupid are you to play your starters in a meaningless game?

DD

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

^^^
    this

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Everyone wants to get on Beli for playing starters in a meaningless game, but complain when the Colts or Bengals pull their starters for their meaningless games. lol What the heck do yall want?

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

more like playing them if he felt they were in unsafe conditions.

he has no one to blame but himself since he had the option and decided against resting them.

and beyond that, the colts DID have something to play for (perfection) and the bengals said they were going to play full-force (which they did not).

apples and oranges.

18. juicystream

juicystream Member

Hate it for Welker, but love to see things backfiring for Belichick over and over this year.

19. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

Yeah. I actually remember that question because I was watching it for my friend who was the one who answered the question.

20. leroy

leroy Member