1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Belgium Napster Users Hunted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Feb 15, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thats it!! Im deleting my Napster and all my MP3's (for the record)

------------------
    its all good and fun till someone gets hurt ... then its absolutely hilarious!

3. Major

Major Member

To be honest, I almost wish they'd do that here. Regardless of the legality of Napster, it is illegal to download copyrighted music. Everytime someone does so, Napster has to have your IP address and thus you cna (if enough effort is put in) be traced.

Start fining people $50 / song people download illegally, and 95% of the copyright infringement would be shut down pretty quickly. Napster could still be available for legal uses (as they claim it's intended to be) and this has the effect of scaring people away from other similar services which aren't affected by the Napster lawsuit.

Smart computer people would finds way around it, but the "average person" wouldn't bother taking the chance.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

4. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Marsha! Marsha! Marsha! Everyone is going off on Napster, Napster, Napster. I'll bet each and everyone of you computerheads as I have at least one to several programs on your computer downloaded from a friends disc or you've got that pirated disc you burned on your CDR. So CDRs are "OK". You can steal but only on a limited more intimate and personable scale? Napster is just the latest headline , the latest debate of the past couple of years. Next time you're playing that Tiger Woods golf game or typing up a letter on the Microsoft Word program your friend gave you...TINK 'BOUT IT.
    Oh I think it is outta control by the way, this music copying thing, true, in all forms, tape, CD, recording...goodness! I don't get it either. Too many people in this world.

------------------
    Whatever you want to do, you have to do something else first.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

shanna...

why don't they just arrest anyone who borrows a CD from a friend... that's basically the same thing we're doing with Napster, except with Napster you have ALOT more friends...

whatever...
    to each their own.

after all this napster stuff blows over, why don't we just hold MP3 CD Swaps in parking lots somewhere??

rH

------------------
    The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

Come and chat with us on game nights in CC.net chat!

6. Major

Major Member

why don't they just arrest anyone who borrows a CD from a friend... that's basically the same thing we're doing with Napster, except with Napster you have ALOT more friends...

Borrowing from your friends is legal. There's still only one copy of the song. If you're listening to the song, your friend can't. Copying the song is illegal.

The correct analogy is that you're doing the equivalent of stealing a CD from BestBuy, except with no repercussions. You've decided you want the music but don't really feel like paying for it, so its OK to steal it illegally. You can just do it from the privacy of your own home now.

Justify it all you want. It's illegal and it's stealing from the artist. They may be charging outrageous prices or whatever, but that's their right because it's their product. You have the right to not buy it. You don't have the right to steal it.

You can steal but only on a limited more
    intimate and personable scale?

No, actually that's wrong too. If it was feasible to fine people $50 for doing that too, I'd be all for it. However, it's not. It is relatively easy to get people who use Napster, and by doing it even a little bit, you can stop a huge illegal piracy ring. It's a question of limited resources.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that the Cato is the only Rocket with a temperature scale named after him?

I didnt think so!!!!

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I share an IP with hundreds of users if I'm at a university or some similar setting. How do you go about fining an individual in that case? My IP is not associated with me like my social security number may be.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Geez guys, you're right! This piracy crap needs to stop. I just found this very sad article that is the result of us seflish Napster users...Shame on all of you!!!
    http://www.theonion.com/onion3618/kid_rock_starves.html

------------------

9. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Oh yeah, but that was just a joke. None of you anit-napster people are talking about having a "borowed" program or the CDR thing, you know, burn your own program from a friend. Cmon Jeff I know you got something from a friend on your computer, something you haven't paid for. You too Shanna, fess up! A game or a program that those hardworking computer programers worked hard to invent. Bill Gates would be pissed! WEll, I guess what is a loosing battle is that this subject will ever end! [​IMG]

------------------

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It will end when Napster gets shut down, hopefully.

Why not make it a site where the only songs available are by artists who don't mind this kind of stuff? I know DMB doesn't mind it.

------------------
    "Knickerbocker Please!"
    Not sure if you want to see Hannibal? visit www.swirve.com, and we'll tell you how to feel!!

11. Major

Major Member

I share an IP with hundreds of users if I'm at a university or some similar setting. How do you go about fining an individual in that case?

It's tracable. Not by the simple means that we have (Reverse DNS), but much of this is on record with the University. Even with rotating IPs, Proxy servers, etc, Napster had to know how to get a piece of data to you, so there's a trace there.

Which is why tools such as Gnutella exist. Although in its infancy and nowhere near as good as Napster, it'll get there.

That's my point. All of these can be discouraged if you target end users instead of the company itself.

That'll work... just like it did with software piracy sites. Those are a thing of the past.

Ask the average computer user (not computer experts or people who spends tons of time online) if they would use a software piracy website. Now ask them if they would use Napster. I think the results will be starkly different.

I speak from experience when I tell you that you are fighting a losing battle on this one. I've already been down this road and most people here don't really have a problem with downloading music for free.

I agree. People will do anything to justify illegal things if they benefit from it. It's just like speeding... Most of us do it, but it's stupid to complain when they ticket you. You did it knowing the risks. Now, if the fines were $5000 for a speeding ticket, you'd probably see people stop speeding due to the deterrence factor. Similarly, If we would start ticketting people for copyright infringement, it would cut it down far more than shutting down Napster will, given that someone else would just take it's place.

Every machine has an IP and can be traced to an exact computer ... but not to a person.

That's true. However, if it's your personal computer, I believe you're responsible for it's content.

If consomers would stand up against these giants, then we would have no need for napster!

But until then, it's OK to just ignore the law and steal instead, right? Simple question: If you could steal a CD from BestBuy and guarantee you wouldn't get caught, would you do it?

------------------

I didnt think so!!!!

12. Major

Major Member

Cmon Jeff I know you got something from a
    friend on your computer, something you haven't paid for. You too Shanna, fess up!

Probably so. And if the government fined me for it, I wouldn't complain because it would have been illegal for me to do. In fact, if the government started fining people left and right for it, I would be less likely to take the risk.

It may have come out the wrong way earlier, but I'm not blaming people for doing it (although I do think it is wrong [​IMG]). If there are no consequences, then people are more likely to do it -- and you can't expect them to stop. I just think if you want to stop this type of thing, there are other, better ways than going after just Napster.

------------------

I didnt think so!!!!

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

napster, as it exists now, has no control over the content. they don't even store any of the music on their servers. it's all on people's hard drives. they are merely a conduit for exchange.

------------------

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I admit that I'm guilty of the occasional piracy (who hasn't taped a friend's CD or movie or loaded borrowed software at some point) but I don't kid myself into thinking that what I'm doing is right. Nor do I make a habit of the practice. When people create a product, whether it be music, movies or software, they have a right to receive payment from those who want their product. To acquire it without paying is stealing, no matter how you want to spin it.

I don't know much about Napster but it seems like a good idea to be able to share music with others online so you can sample new music that you think you might be interested in, much like borrowing a friend's CD. There are ways, however, to offer the streaming audio while not allowing it to be downloaded. Add to that a feature to allow downloads on a pay-per-track basis and the artists still benefit (probably even more so than they would from CD sales only). I'd love to be able, as some others have suggested, to buy just a song or two instead of the whole CD. And I'd love to listen to music before I buy.

I guess my point is there's got to be alternatives to simply shutting down these services or attempting to hunt down and prosecute the users so that everyone can be a winner.

------------------

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

At www.cdnow.com, you can hear samples of songs. If that's really the reason why some people use Napster, then do that, and you won't be wasting your money on a cd for one or two songs. If you like the song enough, it shouldn't bother you that you don't like any of the other songs.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No. The IP is traceable, the person is necessarily not. You can prosecute the IP, you can't necessarily prosecute the person.

Oh come on shanna, I love your posts, but this is silly. This can be discouraged just as much as cracking tools such as Locksmith back in the 80's were discouraged. You know how they were discouraged? Companies stopped using copy-protection schemes for the most part. Copy-protection crackers went the way of the dodo.

Ask the average user if they have a copy of WinZip or some other shareware on their drive. They probably do. That's stealing if you haven't paid for it within the number of days the agreement specifies. The point is not whether they get it from pirate sites or not, it's if they do it, whether knowingly or unknowingly. I'll contend the only reason that most people haven't "stolen" software like they've "stolen" mp3's/music is because music files are far smaller and it's easier to pack up a music file than a software installation.

But you then see the problem. University labs can be used to circumvent any IP traces. I've used labs where friends were running the lab and I've gotten on the pc's and used them to my heart's content without having to sign in or anything. It's pointless because I can get software via mainstream methods and distribute them without using Napster via my pc. Napster isn't the key to all this. If you want to stop this, stop focusing on Napster. Gnutella is a response to the focus on Napster.

While I no longer agree with I've come to the conclusion is stealing, all these "solutions" people have have been tried before, have failed before, and will fail yet again. It's a hacker mentality. If you stop me from infiltrating you once, it's fine, but now you've started a war. I want to be that geek that breaks you. Gnotella and its clones are just the first step. Unless the Internet is privatized, this will continue whether we like it or not.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

17. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I use Napster because I get free music. Since I've had a blazingly FAST cable connection for over 6 months now, I've downloaded over 3000 songs (thats about 17 FREE songs per day everyday!) You name it, I got it! Classical, rock, technotronic, B-boy, Salsa, Middle eastern, Tejano. ALL OF IT FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I put them on a CDR disc until it is full (about 120 or so songs) then close the session out, VOILA! A CD-ROM! That sucker will play for hours. I LOVE IT!!

------------------

18. Major

Major Member

Ask the average user if they have a copy of WinZip or some other shareware on their drive. They probably do.

Actually, I disagree. I'd venture to say the average internet user does not have WinZip, and probably does not know what a zip file even is. People who use computers alot do, but the average "I just went to Best Buy and got on the internet" person doesn't. This assumption is a key to the rest of my thinking.

University labs can be used to circumvent any IP traces. I've used labs where friends were running the lab and I've gotten on the pc's and used them to my heart's content without having to sign in or anything.

Absolutely. However, University computer labs aren't the primary place Napster and other music download sites are used. They can be used there, but the favorite place is your home computer (especially dorm rooms now). Never did I say it would stop ALL piracy, but you stop a good chunk of it.

If you want to stop this, stop focusing on Napster. Gnutella is a response to the focus on Napster.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Instead of punishing the company offering the service, target the people using it. Place the responsibility on the people actually committing the illegal actions.

It's a hacker mentality. If you stop me from infiltrating you once, it's fine, but now you've started a war. I want to be that geek that breaks you.

That's fine, though. You've now restricting this to people who are willing to go "underground" and do it instead of making it available through a massive public website. A good chunk of people won't even bother if it's made more clear that it's illegal to do and you have a very real chance to get caught.

It's all about establishing a credible threat of being caught and penalized. Here in Austin, they had a week where they put several empty cop cars out in the median on one of our major highways (Mopac). No cops, no fines but it stopped speeding to a large extent because of the fear of getting the ticket. That's what I'm proposing here.

------------------

I didnt think so!!!!

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

mr_oily, would you be upset if someone took one of your drawings or paintings without your permission and used them in a movie or something?

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

20. outlaw

outlaw Member

not to attack you RM95 but just wondering if you get permission from the movie studios to use the photos on your movie review page?

------------------