1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being Del Harris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trader Dan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

-----Original Message-----
    To: Del Harris
    Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:59:22 +0000
    Subject: Re: e-mail interviews

Hello Del,

Once again, many thanks from all the fans at clutchcity.net. Your participation is appreciated and admired.

The questions this time:

- How do you see Yao as a leader? (personality, sharing NBA-experience with others, etc.)
    - We have to ask about the toe, what kind of injury is it? Is surgery an option at this time?
    - Can you briefly describe the practices of the CNT? (intensity, atmosphere, parts scrimmaging and individual practice, etc.)

Yours sincerely,

Dan Malberg

------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
    To: Me
    Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:53:10
    Subject: Re: e-mail interviews

1--Yao is a leader more by example. He is willing toplay hurt and he is on time to practices and is very coachable. I don't know about what he might say to the players.

2. Yao's toe is a result of jamming it into the end of his shoe as his body tries to stop. He has had it landed on various times as well. Shaq has similar trouble with his big toe. Yao had one of his toenails cut in half last week and the other removed.

3. I really don't have time to write up a practice plan for you---suffice it to say it is just like an nba practic.e

2. 12345

12345 Member

Yao needs to start wearing Nike shoes again! :D

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Awesome.

Trader Dan should have his own category come the yearly awards.

Questions:

Have you spotted any other potential NBA-caliber players from CNT?
    Will Yao working on his hand strength keep him from being stripped of the ball or is it more of just keeping the ball above his head?

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Man, this is great. Actual unfiltered information! Thanks, Trader Dan.

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

It seems that Del's answers are rather short this time around. He is probably extremly busy. I'm sure we all appreciate him taking the time out to respond to our questions, but do you think he is getting tired of answering them?

6. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Yeah I notice that too. Let's delay sending the next round of questions.

7. Sane

Sane Member

Those toe nail problems are a result of bad shoes.

Nike are the worst in this category. They are the most likely to screw up your toe nails.

A friend of mine has had the same problem Yao has for 1 year and a half now. The nail keeps getting screwed even though he doesn't play sports.

I had it too, but I removed them both once on my own, and I haven't had a problem since. They grew back 100%.

Let's hope Yao is one of the lucky ones.

8. daNasty

daNasty Member

Yup the shoe is the problem. They are mostly now being manufactor to look cool and try it best to be comfortable but Yao's feet isn't the same as everyone else. He needs his own shoe and not one that could be marketable.

9. xcharged

xcharged Member

The Silver Fox Rules

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Good job Trader. Keep it Fresh and maybe ask specifically about some of the players who surprised him in practice.

11. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

I think Dell's getting a little testy after losing Nash. Maybe we should ask him one question each session to keep it brief.

12. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

He is probably very busy but he will continue to be busy throughout the summer. The thing is I think he responds to my e-mails when he sees them so I don't think waiting a week will help as he will be busy next week also.

Maybe having just one question would help but I think what PhiSlammaJamma is suggesting, asking him some fresh and feel good kind of questions should do the trick.

So maybe one question about surprises in camp, one about the goals of the CNT and one more. Any suggestions?

13. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Ask him about Yao's comment that Yi could be better than him. Also how the CNT can improve on their pathetic rebounding.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No kidding, Reebok makes some of the most crappy Bball shoes ever.

15. YaoTheMan

YaoTheMan Contributing Member

Harris will not answer "What does Yao think ...." type of questions. He's professional, who only speaks for himself.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD !!!

Ask him about his time in Houston, and what he remembers most about leading that team in '81 to the finals.

Ask him about Moses Malone and team chemistry.

This is a Rocket board...we want to know about him and the Rockets too.....

Lead with a question about HIM and he will open up more about other questions.

DD

17. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Write a long, descriptive paragraph about a problem in your love-life and ask him for advice.

18. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Brilliant - I like... but I get the feeling he may simply a guy who answers with short, clipped responses. He's busy, he's not getting paid, and he's definitely being nice.

Don't expect too much - he's already been very very helpful.

If DD's suggestion works, though, that would be awesome. :)

19. miamiflorida

miamiflorida Member

Thank you, TD, for this thread.

I wish to know

1) Will Mr. Harris use Yao Ming to set a lot of picks for his team-mates? In other words, is YM's main duty on the court to put the ball in the basket and get the rebounds or exhaust him for the picks?

2) What goal Team Yao set for Yao Ming to accomplish for the coming Olympics game?

Thanks again.

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

As always, thanks a bunch, TD.

I second DaDakota's suggestion. Let's have a question about him. People appreciate interest of others in themselves. Frankly, it doesn't have to be insincere, as I WOULD like to know more about him.

In addition to DaDakota's suggestions, I'm also interested in generic stuff related to what he enjoys about coaching, why he has continued to stay in the NBA so long, why he's taken an assistant coach job after being a head coach, what his plans are after the Mavs, what he would do over again in his NBA career if he could, what some of his best experiences have been, etc.

You may have asked some of these already in earlier e-mails. If so, I apologize.