1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being Del Harris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trader Dan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

First off, I think this thread, and idea, is awesome. Way to go, Trader Dan - those his answers are soemwhat brief, it almost seems as if Del is enjoying the conversation.

Some proposed questions (sorry if these have been asked).

1) What is the most important non-skill related characterstic of a good professional basketball player?

2) How much of an impact do coaches have on the success of a team?

3) Which position do you want to have your best player at?

2. qrui

qrui Member

great work dan. thanks! l'd also like to know the extend of yao's injury. how serious is it?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fantastic work, Trader Dan! Thanks. :)
    Yes, we all want to know, "what's up with the toe??"

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Trader_Dan,

thank you again for this correspondence. I don't know what would be appropriate, but I'd definitely be interested in helping you do something to let Del know how much we appreciate his correspondence.

Is Harris still with the Mavs? Ask him what his plans are for the next few years. Is he interested in resuming a head coach position somewhere? College ball?

You might also consider asking him whether he was surprised by the loss of Nash and how it will impact the Mavs.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

This is the news that is most important imo.

He had almost 2 months of rest away from playing ball....and should get at least one more(possibly more) between the Olympics and when camp opens.

This should go a long way towards ensuring that he doesnt run out of gas before the end of the season.

:D

6. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Good work trader Dan. I'm surprised this thread isn't seeing more traffic. I wish there were more coaches as open with fans as Del Harris in the league. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Rockets bench again some day either.

And more importantly, Thanks Del!

Keep the info coming. We appreciate the insight very much.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am so impressed that Del Harris makes himself so accessable and answers your/our emails so directly. Can't help but notice that he absolutely will not comment on somebody else's opinion. Guess he would never make it on this board.:)

Thanks Del
    Thanks Trader Dan

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good job with a good idea! Thanks.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

This correspondence is awesome. Thanks for posting all this stuff.

Throw my name in as a vote for a "Will the toe need surgery?" question.

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Rockets2k, I think you are wrong.

A man like Yao's size and age should improve his stamina by practicing and balanced nutrition, not by resting.

Long rest won't do him any good.

11. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

good work.

can we not ask Harris any more question about Tmac trades, or "how do Yao think ..." or any interpersonal questions? He is not going to answer, nor is he in position to answer. Let's stick the questions to Yao on NT, and their basketball skills.

Just my 2c.

Did Harris give more info on Yao's toe injury? that is the thing I most care about.

12. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Trader Dan - thanks for all of your work on this. This is excellent.

I forget whether questions like these have been asked (I'll focus on Del since it seems like he'll answer those types of questions most).

1. Do you feel like your sets are simplified for the CNT when compared to NBA game sets?
    2. What has the CNT indicated as their goal for 2008? Are they hoping your tutoring will lead to a few wins, or are they looking to medal? Have you heard any long-term discussion of wanting to become a basketball world power?
    3. Do you see Yao as a vocal leader? Does he teach the other players the things he has picked up from the NBA? (Any specifics would be cool to see what Yao thinks is important - what does HE want in a PG? ;))

I also think this would be good as a sticky with the first post being your description of what you'd like to ask (the three questions) and each of the responses, but it's ultimately a moderator call. :)

Thanks again!

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

it has been said that Yao has been staying active(weightlifting, exercise)...
    but the point I was making is that Yao has not (until recently) had to jack around with the ineffective NT practices and worthless games to sap his energy and risk injury in.

for a big man that has run out of gas in the latter third of the past two seasons.....having a much reduced playing schedule during the offseason is of the UTMOST importance if we hope to have a active and energetic Yao in the playoffs next year.

you may disagree on what he should be doing in the offseason, but if you really believe that Yao doesnt need more rest than he has been getting up till now.....I dont know what to tell you...

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I agree, he does need rest. Rest is the most important thing that Yao needs to "work" on most this offseason.

15. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

Here's a question I'd like to ask Del Harris:

As we saw in the past 2 NBA seasons, Yao Ming has a lot of trouble getting and holding onto the ball when he is defended by smaller and much quicker defenders such as Eduardo Najera. Is this a concern for the Chinese NT in the Olympics? If so, what are some of the things being done to address this?

16. user

user Member

Good question but too vague. I would want to know what Harris thought being the reason of the problem? Why Yao lost the ball so easily and so much? If he has a better understanding of the reason, the solution would be relatively easier to be found.

17. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Good question. Another one along the same vein - does Yao take a different role on this team than he does on the Rox as far as his on the court leadership?

18. corby

corby Contributing Member

This is an excellent question. I would like to vote for this question in the next round.

Thanks to Del and Trader Dan!

19. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

Hey guys, thanks for the support. What a great guy coach Harris seems to be, I am like all of you really amazed by him taking time out of his busy schedule and answering our questions. Maybe the Rocks could use him as an assistant coach. It’s not like it would hurt our relationship with the Chinese government…

I’ve been thinking of how to show our appreciation and so far the only things I’ve come up with are polite, quick, interesting and up to date questions. But if you can think of anything, you are more then welcome. Thanks.

As for our next interview I’m happy to see this thread coming alive again with many excellent suggestions. I like the question about whether Yao is a vocal leader; Del has seen Yao now for over a week and should know plenty about Yao’s role and personality. I’m not sure about the toe question though, Del assured us Yao would be fine in the last interview but if so many of you wants it I’ll give in. The goals of the CNT is interesting to. Other questions I’m not sure about are questions not directly related to Yao or the CNT, there are many interesting suggestions in this category but I just don’t know if it maybe would be a little outside of our deal.

Maybe I’ll post my suggestions (based on your suggestions of course) in a couple of days before I send it to get some feed back from you.

20. 12345

12345 Member

Ask him if he's trying to persuade Yao to join the Mavericks. :D