1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being Del Harris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trader Dan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Outstanding TD. Bravo.

Not sure if we already know the answer to this question or not, I don't, so:

Are Wang Zhi Zhi and Menke Bateer playing on the CNT?

If so, how does he rate the progress or development of these two?

Does he envision using Yao, Bateer and Wang together at some point?

2. tedwhite

tedwhite Member

Wang will not play.

Meanwhile China has 2 other 7-footers that are going to the NBA: Tang and Yi.

3. Matador

Matador Member

I hope this article on Del and the Chinese team is welcomed in this thread.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061504dnspochinalede.1b58d.html

Role reversal for Mavericks' Harris
    Coach has all the size he needs on China's Olympic team

11:41 PM CDT on Monday, June 14, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

PLANO – Del Harris looks up at the players on the Chinese basketball team he is charged with leading to the Athens Olympics – way up, as it were – with four measuring 7-feet tall and four others who are at least 6-9. it looks like the Chinese team is going to be taller than the US team

Sort of a change of pace for a coach who helped prescribe small ball to an ailing Mavericks team last season.

Size has never been a problem for the Chinese team. But an abundance of big men in the past has belied a passive style on the court. If Harris can westernize the Chinese team in any way, it will be to change that image. Toughness – maybe not Detroit Pistons grit, but at least something more than the team has displayed – is crucial.

"We're going to have a muscled-up team that's going to be more physical than any Chinese team before," Harris said Monday after the Olympic team's first round of two-a-day practices at Prestonwood Baptist Church.

"A criticism of the Chinese teams of the past is that they have been too soft. But by the time our team takes the court in the Olympics, they won't have to back off from anybody because they will be strong and fearless."

Coach Del Harris talks with the media after his first practice with the Chinese National basketball team at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano. The team, of course, will be considerably stronger and more fearless when 7-5 Yao Ming arrives next week. The Houston Rockets All-Star center will be the focal point of everything the team does.

Teaching big players, by the way, is nothing new for Harris. His teams at Houston (Moses Malone) and the Los Angeles Lakers (Shaquille O'Neal) both had big men of note. it would be great if Harris can improve Yao's game over the summer It's simply a departure from his last few seasons as an assistant to Don Nelson with the Mavericks.

The team is practicing in Plano because Harris made it a stipulation of him taking the job as China's first American head coach.

"I couldn't be away for the whole summer from my family and my [Mavs] job," he said. "This was the only way I'd do the job."

Harris will handle his duties as Nelson's assistant leading to next week's draft, and also is waiting to hear whether the Atlanta Hawks might want him to be their coach. The Hawks have made no mention of when they will make a decision. Harris and several other candidates have talked to the Hawks.

4. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

Sorry to interrupt the McGrady craze but it’s time again to use our insider, Del Harris. As some of you know, Yao started practice with the CNT yesterday (Sunday) so we should be able to get some good info on how he looks in a day or so. I am really really excited about the answers this time.

Not too many suggestions have been made, personally I think the potential improvement of Yao this summer is just as big as the potential improvement of adding T-mac for Stevie, which is why I think you guys will come up with some good questions this time. If anybody feels their questions have been left out of previous interviews, please post them again.

I’m thinking two Yao questions and one Yi! Maybe we can do the weight question this time or maybe even a McGrady question!

Also, I wanna add something like this:
    “And if anything else has happened, feel free to add any anecdote, how little it may seem to you I promise you it won’t be to us, that you think we might enjoy… bla bla” :)

I’ll e-mail him Wednesday morning.

5. ty185

ty185 Member

there's a lot of great yao questions on this thread already, I'll try to come up with a chinese NT question.

over the years, the chinese guards have been known to be extremely vulnerable and turnover prone facing pressing defense. does the coaching stuff view this as one of the more serious problem for this team? is there any plans on solving this problem now?

again, dan, great work! keep up with it. :)

6. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

bump.

hey trader man i know that TMac is the big news around here but don't stop doing this.

7. user

user Member

How much does Yao weighted now? In the latest articles, it seems that weight lifting is the only thing Yao did to keep his fit the past few weeks. He must put up quite some fat.

Some recent Chinese reports on Yao:
    http://sports.sohu.com/2004/06/23/00/news220680054.shtml
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2004-06-23/0112952563.shtml
    http://sports.sohu.com/2004/06/23/51/news220675108.shtml
    http://sports.sohu.com/2004/06/23/50/news220675064.shtml

Did Yao slowed down more? Will he plays more banging and bumping game or finer games (P'n R, more assitance) under Harris?

8. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

-----Original Message-----
    To: Del Harris
    Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:07:02 +0000
    Subject: Re: e-mail interviews

Hello Del,

We all know you are very busy so your answers are extremely appreciated.

Our questions this time:
    - How does Yao look? Bigger?
    - If a trade of Steve Francis for Tracy McGrady would go through, how would you say T-Mac fits with Yao and the Rockets compared to how Steve fits?
    - We’ve heard some about Yi, the young and talented forward of the CNT. Can you briefly describe him, maybe compare him to a current player, and what are his draft prospects?

Good luck from all the members of Clutchcity!

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Dan Malberg

------------------------------------------------

To: Me
    Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:32:40

1. Yao looks fine. He is not in top basketball condition, but that is to be expected. With 6 weks until the Olympics he should be ok. He had a really good practice yesterday as did the whole team.

2. I cannot comment on the trades of other teams or on the various aspects of other teams in the NBA. It is not professional to do so, tho many do it.

3. Yi Jienlian will not be eligible to opt for the draft until the 2006
    draft and by then everyone will know quite a lot about him, I would say. He should do well in the Olympics this summer in Athens for a young player and is an important part of our team. He can run, jump and shoot the open shot from 18 feet. He is an athlete along the lines of Tyson Chandler, Stromile Swift and Theo Ratliff but he is not exactly like any one of those players. Naturally, since he has not played any college or NBA basketball, he is not as polished as those players are at this moment, but he will be a good NBA player if he keeps working at it. He seems like a very good young man. He will be fun to watch develop.

9. 12345

12345 Member

ty very much TD! Next time ask if Yao's gotten any faster.

10. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

The question about the Chinese guards is very good. I would also ask if Del will teach them how to feed the post! ;)

Thks Dan.

11. user

user Member

Seems the Hype on Yi Jianlian is too much. He's good but not great.

And one of the questions was wasted, hehe ;)

I want to know exact how much Yao weighted, but the question is not specific so the answer was vague.

Thanks for the effort!

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Thanks again Trader Dan. Keep up the good work.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Any new on the two games Yao & China NT played in Dallas?

14. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

not speaking the language, do you get the impression that the players are always talking about you? :p

have you talked to Donnie Nelson about his experiences coaching the Lithuanian Olympic team? (remember they almost upset Team USA in the medal round..... how would that feel?) :(

15. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

am just a little curious on the grammar/style of response from del harris' first email

would a professional coach really respond like that?

16. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

What are you trying to say?

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Inquire into his stamina. Harris has seen the previous 2 years and will obviously get a good look at the olympics. Ask about how much better it will get overall.

18. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

To: Del Harris
    Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:07:15 +0000

Hello Del,

Thanks a lot for taking the time.

Our questions this time:
    - We’ve all heard different stories through the media about both Yao’s health and his conditioning, could you comment on these two issues?
    - The backcourt of the CNT have been labelled as turnover prone, lacking playmaking skills and having a hard time with pressure defence. How true is this and in case it is – what are you doing about it?
    - Do you know how Yao feels about T-Mac coming to Houston?

Yours sincerely,

Dan Malberg

------------------------------------------

To: Me
    Date: Fri, Jul 02 2004 06:03:38

1. Yao is in better condition than I expected for a man who did not touch a ball for 50 days. He struggles some as anyone will. And the bigger one is the tougher it is to get into shape. But he will make it in the 6 weeks we have before the Olympics.

2. The backcourt is improving all the time. We have done much with Jonas Kaslauskas' workouts for the backcourt players and with our schemes to help advance the ball and get it into play and will continue to do so. We just beat the Mavericks summer team tonite 85-80 and the #5 pick in all the world is Devin Harris, a very quick and tough defender and we managed to get the job done with our point guards. There will be no one qucker than Harris in the Olympics, I would guess. We will continue to try to upgrade in that area, but Liu Wei and Gou Shiquiang are better than reported at this point, I think.

3. Ask Yao.

19. user

user Member

Wow, the Mavs are so confident on Devin Harris!! Or maybe they are from the "same family"? ;) "No one quicker than Harris in the Olympics"? No one in CNT but what about every team else? CNT's back courts suck!

Thanks for the report! And Del Harris is every kind to fans!

20. 12345

12345 Member

Thank you! Next time, can you ask him how injured Yao's toe is? I hope he won't need surgery. :(