1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being Del Harris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trader Dan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Simply put, one of the best GARM threads in a long time. TD, my compliments.

2. tedwhite

tedwhite Member

how do we know this isn't fake? i could do the exact same thing and fake an interview just so people would praise me.:confused:

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

We may get T-Mac this summer, but THIS is the most important happening of the off-season.

4. m_cable

5. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Trader Dan,

Great job! Just to keep Del interested, you may ask more question about the Chinese NT in general, not just Yao.

o. What kind of changes has he made, or plan to make to the Chinese national team?

o. Does the players yell out to communicate with each out on court?
    I remember Bob Knight once said after one of the Chinese NT's practice that "You guys played like holding the water in your month". Players in China don't talk to each other much on the court, which is a very bad habit, especially on the defensive end.

o. How does him address the over dribbling problem with the NT back court?

--daoshi

6. almostReady

almostReady Member

--------
    The Rockets are just happy that he now has an NBA coach working with him who will put him through an NBA practice instead of the 6-8 hour practice days that he has had before with the Chinese National team. The long workouts did nothing for his conditioning nor his intensity and now that they have him playing at the NBA level of intensity, they don't want him to go back to the slow pace required by marathon practices.
    --------

Are these harsh and arrogant words really coming from a veteran coach who is happy to be a guest in another country? I find it sounds like some fans at Clutchcity.net.

I appologize to you TD if I am wrong. But I have my doubt.

7. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

Finally something to debate about in this thread! :)

8. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

Hi everybody, it’s time again to decide which questions to send the current coach of the Chinese National Team, Del Harris.

First thing to remember is of course that Yao won’t begin regular practice until the 20th. Unfortunately that means two more excruciatingly long weeks of not knowing the exact size of mr Mings biceps or his daily calorie intake.

As for the questions I’m sensing you guys want at least one X’s and O’s question, one general question about the Chinese NT and of course something about Yao.

After reviewing your excellent questions (Actually, some questions were more funny than excellent and it’s not that I’m not interested in the Naked Gun movies, the consequences for looking directly at Britney Spears and the ill-timed starvation problems of the Chinese National Team but let’s wait with those questions a little bit shall we?), here goes:
    - What is your general impression of the Chinese National Team (CNT) so far? Any surprises?
    - Can you talk a little about the basic offensive and defensive sets you run with the CNT and why you have chosen those sets as far as strengths, weaknesses etc.?
    - What does Yao need to become great?

Simple, general questions that give Del the opportunity to give us some new stuff.

Like the last time we did this, I’ll leave this up for a day or so, so that those that want to comment or suggest something can.

And cross your fingers that he still answers.

(For those of you that have your doubts that this is real, I could give some trustworthy person accesses to my e-mail account to verify this correspondence, like check the sender addresses or something like that. Just so you could enjoy this like the rest of us. I’m too nice ;) )

9. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Trader Dan, how about something along these lines as a follow up to one of the previous questions?

Given that the Chinese want to improve their basketball performance on the world stage, their increasing relationship with the NBA, and your involvement with the Chinese NT, do you think they can ever be convinced that their training methods(extremely long workouts,etc) are counter-productive to their players' development and particularly Yao's stamina in the NBA? Do you plan to stress the importance of these changes in their training regimen?

10. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

I think they admitted this when hiring Del.

He sort of answered this already when talking about the Rocks being happy with his NBA style practice.

11. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

1. Has Del ever seen a grown man naked?

2. Does he like to watch movies about gladiators?

3. Does he like to hang around the gymnasium?

On a more serious note, not that my questions aren't serious, Trader Dan this is GREAT! An oasis in the desert of the off-season. Thanks.

12. m_cable

Um Del Harris has spent many years as an NBA coach... of course he's seen a grown man naked.

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I agree with toast.. you may want to lay off a while until yao starts regular practice... just dont want to bug him too much..

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

or are the dallas games before the 20th? if so nevermind.. i'd just be careful about asking him things too often

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Spoken like a man who has never seen Airplane.

16. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

lol

Comedy gold

17. m_cable

Surely you're not referring to me. Yes, I'm calling you Shirley.

18. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

-----Original Message-----
    To: Del Harris
    Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:11:18 +0000
    Subject: Re: e-mail interviews

Hi Del,

Many thanks for doing this; your insight is very appreciated.

The questions this time:

-What is your general impression of the Chinese National Team (CNT) so far? Any surprises?
    - Can you talk a little about the basic offensive and defensive sets you run with the CNT and why you have chosen those sets as far as strengths, weaknesses etc.?
    - What are some of the things you think Yao should prioritise in his practice and development to become great?

Sincerely yours,

Dan Malberg

------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
    To: Me
    Date: den 10 juni 2004 19:17:01
    Subject: Re: e-mail interviews

The team is composed of some really good young men who are a pleasure to be around. It would be so much nicer if communication were a bit easier, tho we do manage to communicate. I think we have improved our overall performance and still have a lot of time to go futher. The main problem for me is that I really don't know how good we have to be. Plus, it is hard to tell how good we are until Yao practices with us. I am hoping he will make everyone a good bit better. In any case I am pleased with the players' efforts and attitudes and that is a great starting point.

As for what we use on the court, I don't think a newspaper article could explain that to anyone's satisfaction. Simply put we will combine a running game with half court sets that take advantage of Yao's scoring and passing ability to complement the rest of the players. On defense we will be aggressive with our ball pressure and will mix in multiple defenses: pressing full and half court some and using both man to man and zone in the half court.

Yao has not practiced with us, but as in the case of all 25 year old nba players, they need to continue to refine their techniques on offense and defense.

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Yao is not even 24 yet.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

TD,
    One of the best threads in recent BBS memory. BRAVO!