1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Being Del Harris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trader Dan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

As always, thanks Trader Dan...and thanks to Del. Congratulations on beating the Serbs.

What was your best memory of the Olympics?
    What are your thoughts on the troubles of Team USA?
    Do you know when Yao will be back State side?
    How do you rate the success of the CNT?

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Thanks Trader Dan... This has been one of the most enjoyable threads of the summer. So much so that I merged the key Yao points for myself... I hope that is okay

TraderDan: - Can you talk a little about the basic offensive and defensive sets you run with the CNT and why you have chosen those sets as far as strengths, weaknesses etc.?

Del: As for what we use on the court, I don't think a newspaper article could explain that to anyone's satisfaction. Simply put we will combine a running game with half court sets that take advantage of Yao's scoring and passing ability to complement the rest of the players. On defense we will be aggressive with our ball pressure and will mix in multiple defenses: pressing full and half court some and using both man to man and zone in the half court.

TraderDan: - What are some of the things you think Yao should prioritise in his practice and development to become great?

Del: Yao has not practiced with us, but as in the case of all 25 year old nba players, they need to continue to refine their techniques on offense and defense.

TraderDan: How does Yao look? Bigger?

Del: Yao looks fine. He is not in top basketball condition, but that is to be expected. With 6 weeks until the Olympics he should be ok. He had a really good practice yesterday as did the whole team.

TraderDan: If a trade of Steve Francis for Tracy McGrady would go through, how would you say T-Mac fits with Yao and the Rockets compared to how Steve fits?

Del: I cannot comment on the trades of other teams or on the various aspects of other teams in the NBA. It is not professional to do so, tho many do it.

TraderDan: We’ve all heard different stories through the media about both Yao’s health and his conditioning, could you comment on these two issues?

Del: Yao is in better condition than I expected for a man who did not touch a ball for 50 days. He struggles some as anyone will. And the bigger one is the tougher it is to get into shape. But he will make it in the 6 weeks we have before the Olympics.

TraderDan: How do you see Yao as a leader? (personality, sharing NBA-experience with others, etc.)

Del: Yao is a leader more by example. He is willing toplay hurt and he is on time to practices and is very coachable. I don't know about what he might say to the players.

TraderDan: We have to ask about the toe, what kind of injury is it? Is surgery an option at this time?

Del: Yao's toe is a result of jamming it into the end of his shoe as his body tries to stop. He has had it landed on various times as well. Shaq has similar trouble with his big toe. Yao had one of his toenails cut in half last week and the other removed.

TraderDan: How do you compare the big men you have coached throughout your career? (Malone and Shaq of course and please include Yao if you can)

Del: i have had great big men, having worked with malone, shaq, yao but also jack sikma and bob lanier. they were all good guys, but i think all of the players took their work more seriously than did shaq. shaq has always had other agendas and outside activities that these other men did not have. that is not necessarily a bad thing overall---to be broad in ones interests---it just made him different from the others in that regard. i find yao to be a delight to be around and to coach. he wants to lead and do the right thing.

TraderDan: The Olympics are just around the corner, what are you focusing on in the upcoming weeks? Yao is getting double teamed and not getting a lot of shots. What, if anything, is done to counter this?

Del: Dan----these questions are too involved---time is at a premium here because i have to do all the scouting, the video work and the game plans, practice plans and coaching. with Jonas Kaslauskas out the only people speaking english are yao and the interpreter who is now having to interpret for so many people except for yao. he does an incredible job, but is just one man. we are way understaffed and under equipped. we have not been able to get video edits, just the video, so i cannot use the video teaching like it needs to be done. it took over an hour and a half to go thru some tape with our team tonite since we cannot edit--- as for china having too many offensive players, someone has not been watching. it is difficult for us to score. we have no one averaging over 10 points a game except for yao. we have great kids who really work hard but they are better on defense than they are on offense. we are 8-3 against international competition in the time i have been with the team, but scoring has not generally been easy with the exception of a couple of games in china.

TraderDan: Have there been any changes or improvements in Yao’s game and physique?

Del: yao is in good shape, is a great worker, leader, player and now a friend. i have intense respect and care for him and have similar regard for all these great kids. he stands out as much as anything because he wouldn't have to do the same things the others do, but he does. he picks up things, helps carry equipment, helps interpret---and yet he is like elvis---he is the pied piper, the most saught after picture, autograph, handshake in this event-----------------and he does as much as anyone could ask in all those areas\

regards, del

3. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

-----Original Message-----
    To: Del Harris
    Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:13:44 +0000
    Subject: Re: e-mail interviews

Del,

Thank you very, very much for participating in this correspondence. We all enjoyed it immensely and at the same time have developed a deep respect for you. Because of your busy schedule we have decided to end the interview now.

If it is all right with you I will send you a final three questions after the Olympics to summarize your experience.

Good luck!

Yours sincerely,

Dan Malberg

4. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

The post above is what I sent him about when they played New Zealand. No reply but I think he will answer. He’s probably on vacation now so there is no need to hurry. As usual, please post a lot of questions and comment on other questions. Thanks.

Thanks for the recap Old Man Rock. Some good stuff from Del.

5. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

TD I was hoping we could send Del a real Thank You letter with people from clutchfans.

something to the effect of.

Del,

Everyone from clutchfans.net wanted to send you a special thank you. That we have appreciated all your time and thoroughly enjoyed all of the correspondence.

Sincerely,

Dan Malberg
    John J Lee [San Francisco]

and maybe we could compile something of that sort.. its almoist a souvenier for himself? meaning Del. It would be interesting to see how many people from how many different locations/cities/states have been following the correspondence.

maybe we should start a different thread if you agree with that idea as I dont want to dilute this thread too much.

J

6. ty185

ty185 Member

ditto this suggestion. we just owe Del a big thank you for this... :)

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yes, great idea...

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I like the idea of a note with the names and locations of appreciative clutchfans members. I would also like to suggest that we find out what charity/ies are important to Del and encourage Clutchfans members to donate to them as a gesture. I just sent off an e-mail to Mark Cuban via the Mavs website asking him for information, but I don't know how likely it is that he will respond. If anyone else likes this idea and knows another way of finding out what charities Del may be involved in, please go for it or let me know.

If you don't like this idea, let me know too. I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's if a majority of people don't feel it's appropriate.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm curious as to what Del's thoughts are regarding what the U.S. needs to do to re-assert our dominance in international play. Or is the dominant era over now?

10. rvpals

rvpals Member

US Dominance in BBall is over now unless there's another Jordan on that team.

11. erying007

erying007 Contributing Member

US will dominate the international basketball scene again. and the Nba management is aware that if usa team sucks again, it will affect the nba credibility as well as nba tv audience, tickets sales...they gonna do the necessary and help usa to lead again in the world. but one thing is cristal clear: USA cannot be called the Dream Team anymore...

12. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

Hey guys. Just thought I’d post the questions before sending them this time. It’s been hard coming up with new ones but I do think we should let him really ponder and reflect on the whole Olympic experience. Remember, these are the last three questions.

Here are the ones I’m leaning towards:
    - Looking back at the Olympics, what do you think you will cherish the most when you retire from coaching?
    - What were your biggest challenges this summer? Do expect the CNT to fix them and improve a lot in Beijing in 2008?
    - What do you expect from Yao in his career?

What do you think?

Also, I’ve opened up a new thread for those of you that want to be included in the e-mail and thank him for making our Olympic experience more fun and for increasing our understanding of Yao and the CNT. Let’s keep the names and thankyous in that thread and the questions in this. Thank you!

13. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

Thanks Trader Dan - great thread!

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't think you need to say "when you retire"... if there are any cherishable moments eprobably isalready cherishing them. I would just reword like "Looking back at the Olympics, what do you think you will cherish the most from the experience?" I think the other questions are fine.. but is he definitely coaching the CNT team next Olympics. If that's notfor certain than maybe ask how he feels about coaching them again. And how he would about coaching them against USA.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I agree. Del's going to be coaching at the Beijing games where the Chinese are hoping to medal.

16. JiggajAMzZ

JiggajAMzZ Member

whats the deal del Harris!!!

=)

17. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

-----Original Message-----
    To: Del Harris
    Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:14:01 +0000

Hello Coach Harris,

Congratulations on your successful Olympic tournament!

As you know, the members of clutchfans.net have absolutely loved your insights throughout the summer. In this final correspondence we are hoping you will give us your final thoughts on your Olympic experience. As usual, there are three questions that we have prepared:

- Looking back at the Olympics, what do you think you will cherish the most from the experience?
    - What were your biggest challenges this summer? Do expect the CNT to fix them and improve a lot in Beijing in 2008?
    - What do you expect from Yao in his career?

Some of the members that have followed and contributed to our correspondence wants to give you a special thank you. They are included below.

Thank you very, very much for taking time out of your busy schedule this summer and good luck in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Malberg

Special thanks:
    Tao, Ye, Montreal, Canada
    Kenneth Powell, Houston, Texas
    “Coach Harris, thanks for giving us your personal thoughts and insight on the Olympic experience.” – Rashmon, Austin, Texas
    Wayne, Houston
    Nathan Boren, Austin, TX
    “Thank's Del!” – Jack, Houston
    “Thanks Coach Harris for taking the time to answer questions and share insights into what must have been a most challenging and facinating experience! There is a good chance - that you have done more to promote good U.S.A. - China relations during your stay - than most U.S. diplomats assigned to China during their entire career! Thank you again!” – Humble, TX
    “Thanx!” – Michael Chong, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    “Thanks Del! You're solid gold!” – Carl, Houston
    “Thanks Del! I used to play basketball with your daughter and Joel in Houston at the Post Oak YMCA. Did they finally get married?” – Eric, Austin
    “Thanks Coach Harris! I greatly appreciate all that you've done, which includes the time that you were here coaching our Rockets.” – Rocket fan in Houston.
    “Your e-mails were above and beyond, Mr. Harris. Thanks.” – Nate in League City
    “Thanks Del.”, Vicent Morris - Boston MA
    “Thanks.” James - Rosemead, CA
    “Xie (4) Xie(4) ni(3), Coach Harrison.”, Jason from Phoenix.
    “Your insights were very much appreciated. Thanks.”, Dave - Houston
    “Thanks a bunch, Del. You're a class act -- the league could use a few more like you.”, Chris - Los Angeles
    “I really appreciate you taking the time to keep the fans up on Ming and the Chinese national team; you are a real gentleman, a first class guy, and an excellent coach. Thanks.”
    “Del, As a basketball fan, I really appreciated you taking the time to communicate with us. If you are involved in any charities or community projects, please let us know.” - Albert, Houston, Texas
    “Thanks Mr Harris for your kindness.” – P. Li , Paris France
    “We all appreciate you taking out time to email us. Thank You.”
    “Thanks Del.” – Die Hard Rox Fan in Clear Lake, Jody
    “Thanks from Daniel in Los Angeles.”
    “Thank You very much for your correspondence .. “ – John, San Francisco
    “Thanks for all the cooperation Del you are truly a standup man. ” – Shriram, Los Angeles CA
    “Thanks Coach Harris. No matter what happens, you'll always be The Mayor from Spin City to me.” – Jason Norman, OK
    “Thanks!” – Henry, Stamford, CT
    “Coach Harris, Thank you vey much for taking the time to answer our questions, and keep us informed on Ming & Chinese National Team. You really showed what a truely a class act you are. Good luck to you this coming season, and hopefully, we'll see you coaching team China in Beijing 2008.” – Joseph, Palo Alto CA
    “Thanks a lot Del. I don't think many coaches on any level would have agreed to do this due to time constraints alone. Reading your responses has beeen one of the highlights of the NBA offseason. This was truly above and beyond the call of duty.” – Bo, Houston, TX
    “thanks !” – DB, Houston
    “Thanks Coach Del. You are a class act.” – The Fegwu family, Houston, Texas.
    “Thank you coach Del!” – Ke, Dallas TX.
    “Got me through the summer Del! Thanks!” – Brock Stapper, Austin
    “Thanks a lot, Coach Harris! I really enjoy reading your emails, and you have shown us how a classic gentleman should be. Ever since the first email, I've become a fun of you. Best wishes to you and your family. ” – Ricky from Califonia
    “Thanks, Del... ” – Bob Albel, Los Angeles
    “Thanx for making time out of your busy schedule and helping us get through our summer. Good luck to you and Dallas in the coming NBA season! ” Min Kim, Houston, TX
    “Thanks alot Del! I really appreciate it!” – YUKIO, Aliso Viejo, CA.
    “Thank you Mr. Harris !” – KC from Boston, MA
    “Thanks Coach Harris.” – Will, Austin, TX
    “Thanks coach Harris, thank you for everything you did this summer, for the email, for the team china, and for YAO.” – Y.J Hu from SH China
    “Much appreciated.” – John of Houston, currently in Taiwan
    “Thanks Del, Lets hope that you lit a fire in Yao so he can have a monster season this season and many more to come.” – Manuel, Melbourne Australia

---------------------------------------------------------

To: Me
    Date: Tue, 21 sept 2004 23:38:35

Rockets fans/Yao fans---thanks for your kind comments that Dan has passed on to me---he excluded any bad ones, so thanks for that, too, Dan

Briefly to answer: 1. The most outstanding moment outside of the basketball was the opening nite ceremonies, of course. Our team really bonded well during that nite and I wish you could have seen how our team stayed together and we must have taken 500 pictures of each other, including abut 100 different team photos. You probably didn't see us sitting down in a huddle in the middle of all the other participants after we had been standing down there in the middle of it all for an hour or more. Of course, Yao was the star of the show that night. He signed 100's of autographs for other althetes.

But the most important was the win over Serbia that allowed us to move on to the next round. We were in the tougher pool by far---Arg was gold, Italy was silver, New Zealand came with the same 5op 7 that won 4th in the 02 World Games,, Serbia was the defending World Champions and Spain beat every one of us in the first round. To have our backs against the wall against Serbia and with them in the same must-win situation and to come out on top was truly amazing. It matched the feelings I have had in winning in going to the finals in 81 with the Rockets, winning 3 national titles in Puerto Rico, winning a high school tournament in Indiana, winning and going to the national NAIA finals at Earlham College, etc. Winning big games is the same at every level and this was really huge because it looked so improbable. Serbia had nailed us by 20 in early August at the Diamond Ball, which they won and they had Argentina and Lithuania in that tourney as well. I had thought going in that Serbia was the one team in our pool that I thought we could not beat. You never know. But it was great for our players who had worked so hard for 5 months. I was with them for the last 3 months of that. And we practiced 2X a day most of those day. The NBA rules only allow 5 2/days per season and these guys did 5 months.

I also had a special satisfaction because I had hadd to work so hard myself. MY main assistant Jonas missed the last 5 weeks going into the Oly. and made it there only after we had played the Spain game. He speaks decent English and is a good coach, but it was hard with out him, since that left only Yao to speak English of all the players and the Chinese coach. And then I had to buy VCR's and monitors because they had no film or editing equipment. I was able to round up some film and I did the editing, sometimes being up till 3 am just to get some stuff to show the players some of what they did and some of what the opponents might do to us.

As for the future I sent them a list of 14 things that they need to do to get better for 08---some of which may be hard for them to do. but they involved mainly getting a system set up in their league whereby the teams learn to use the same strength and conditioning training that the European and NBA teams use. Physically, the Chinese were overmatched, even tho this was s the best conditioned and strongest team they have had---there is still a gap. Even more importantly, they must find a way to play against the top world teams more than just every 2 years---ie, the Worlds and the Olympics. They must get there team together each summer and play some games against the top teams. All the top 15 teams in the world have their main players playing 80+ games a year in the NBA or in the Euro league. The Chinese league is not far enough along to allow the players to improve once the good players are divided up in the league---and they don't get top foreign players to come to China for the league---which has been only a 22 game league---going to 40 games this year. As anyone can see, this system is not set up to compete world wide at the top level. It will take a commitment and some money, but the men's basketball is the only male sport to qualify for the Olympics for China---who sent over 600 athletes and who has done so well in general in Olympic competition. Basketball is a centerpiece sport world wide and now in China as well and they must do what it takes to make these things happen or they will be disappointed greatly in 08. Just allowing the players to get 4 years older will not close the gap.

Yao was terrific as a leader, player and human being. He had a lot of trouble with this big toes and they need to address that issue. He had bloody feet after every game and played in a lot of pain. I know it looked at times like he was out of shpe, but he was actually slow up and down due to the pain. he showed a great deal of character and commitment to his country, despite showing the disappointment in the team play after out first game loss.

It was really hard for Yao to go against the International teams due to the zone defenses. In the NBA the people have to clear out or the middle more, but in the INt. game, all 5 can sit right on him. Since the rest of our players excluding Yao and Mo Ke shot less that 30% total for the 7 games, it was most difficult for him to score---still he averaged over 20 per. And the refs let them really beat on him since he is so big and an NBA player---he got no breaks. In our last game he fouled out and we were only down 9 I believe in the last quarter at the time. He shot no free throws in the game. They also fouled out Yi and Mo and yet we got only 10 free throws for the game. Spain ended up getting us by 16.

best wishes to all, del harris

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

We've given our thanks to Del. Now I think it's time to cap off this ClutchBBS HOF thread, by giving Trader Dan a nice big round of applause.

19. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

:Applauds:

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

damn....del recommended to the Chinese committee that they "get there team together each summer and play some games against the top teams". I don't want Yao going back there every summer!! :eek:

btw, thanks Dan