1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BEING DARYL MOREY: Approaching The Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

In hindsight I should have named this thread "IN SEARCH of DARYL MOREY". Because I wrote this thread in hopes some of the board would come up with some trade scenarios that Morey might do or at least come close to some real possibilities. But the more I think about it the more I think it is highly unlikely any of us come close to the final trade Morey does for several reasons.

1st. You have to know who Morey is willing to trade.

2nd. You have to understand is Morey primarily looking to rebuild, balance the team or upgrade to a better player or all of the above.

3rd. You have to know who is contacting Morey for his guys. ANd what is available on the trade market.

4th Morey is the Bobby Fisher of GM's. He is the creator of 4 and 5 team deals with double digit players involved.

So we understand from Morey's own words that no one is untradeable. We also can assume Morey is looking to do all of the above as he has said himself he still sees this team as a playoff contender but at the same time he has said he doesn't look for short term fixes but rather mid term and long term deals. We don't know everyone who is contacting him and what players they ar offering him but we do know teams that he has dealt with before and we definitely know some names already being thrown out there. Finally it is almost to think like Morey without all of the real deals being contemplated because once someone suggest one deal to Morey (if he likes any part of that deal) he will counter offer with a more advantageous deal for the Rockets and then hold firm on the deal he settles on. If they agree then he looks at the pieces and sees if he can use any of them in another deal and also looks to see if there any other pieces out there that he would like and can he some how get the other team to help him got those pieces. This is probably just the tip of the iceberg of what goes on and doesn't even include all of the players Morey has evaluated and has determined is the best fit for what he thinks this team needs most to improve.

So with all of that going and even more trying to guess a players moves in chess half a dozen moves in advance. For example some of the things we know. Morey has worked with Sac a couple of times and probably feel comfortable with them. Also the Nets are interested in Martin and Scola and the Nuggets are still looking to trade Anthony.

So let us start with a deal that sends Martin and Scola to the Nets for Favors and Murphy and our pick back plus another 1st pick for 2011. Now lets take those one of those first and send it to Denver plus Hill and Bud and Yao's expiring for Melo. We might have to eat Harringtons contract to complete the deal but somehow I think Morey would play chicken to not do it. So not let us take Troy Murphy's contract and trade the other 1st pick to Sac for Dalembert.

That would Basically be ...

Scola
    Martin
    Budinger
    Hill

for

Carmelo Anthony
    Derrick Favors
    Samuel Dalembert

There is alot going on there and I'd bet Morey could probably even pull off a better deal than that but it is feasible on some level especially if Morey believes he can resign Anthony.

Can you think of other deals or variations of tis deal that are Morey like in nature and somewhat plausible.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

We're roughly on the same page.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Old Man Rock, I like the concept, but I think this maestro of big deals are vastly overrated. Now thats not to say morey doesnt try, but alot of gms have said how he vastly overrates the players on his team. Lets not forget he is a p.r. master.

I hope this master plan takes form and this team gets direction,but I think it will be a lux tax move and maybe swinging for a t-will/hill type of move. For the record, I like the startegy of acquiring high 1st rd picks who have been left undeveloped. Maybe,just maybe one of those will turn out to be all star worthy.

4. Rockets_4_life

Okay here are my Morey preditcions if you will :grin: ....

IMO, I think he will clean house with the remaining parts brought here to build around Yao Ming(which means Scola and Martin, are Bye Bye!) and will look to trade any remaining aging players..

[rquoter]1st trade| NJ Nets/ Hou Rockets:
    Hou receives:
    PF/C Derrick Favors
    PF/C Troy Murphy
    SG Anthony Morrow

NJ Nets receives:
    SG Kevin Martin
    PF Luis Scola
    PF/C Chuck Hayes
    2012 NY pick

---------------
    2nd trade| Orl Magic/Hou Rockets:
    Hou receives:
    SF/PF Earl Clark
    $ Cash Considerations

Orl receives:
    C Brad Miller
    ----------------
    3rd trade| Minn Timberwolves/ Hou Rockets:
    Hou receives:
    PG Jonny Flynn
    C Darko Milicic
    2011 2nd rounder
    2012 2nd rounder

Minny receives:
    PG/SG Aaron Brooks
    SF Shane Battier(expiring contract)
    [/rquoter]

Remaining Roster:
    Lowry | Flynn/ Smith
    Lee | Morrow
    Williams | Clark/ Budinger
    Hill | Patterson
    Favors | Milicic/ Murphy

*+ 3 picks in the 2011 NBA Draft(one 1st rounder; two high 2nd rounders)

At the NBA draft we can flip the 2nd rounders and ONE of either Clark, Budinger, Patterson or Hill + our own 1st round(lottery) draft pick, to move up in the draft!!!

5. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

1. Dumb
    2. Dumber
    3. Dumbest

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I want to be a billionaire, so freckin' bad~

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah he may end up doing that. But my hunch is that he will at least try to swing for the fences and probably be end up some wheres in between what you suggest and that.

As for GM's that think Morey overrates his guys, most of them do the same. It's natural. What separates Morey is he has a coach that knows how to get the most out of his players and Morey has to sell high.

That is why I think there is truth to the rumor that Scola and Martin may be on the block. Both Scola and Martin have never played better. It is almost safe to say they have reached there peak. Whereas Favors will probably never be worse than he is now. An exchange of those players would meet his criteria of sell high buy low.

8. delta69er

delta69er Member

How do these trades help us at all? I'm not all that sold on Favors, Morrow is eh ok, and flynn is (or maybe not anymore, not too sure) in the dleague. If we're gonna blow it up, these guys aren't going to bring us prominence; rather they'll drag us into the dregs of the league