1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BEING DARYL MOREY: Approaching The Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jan 18, 2011.

1. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

And in many cases he's too big of a p***y to do them. That's why we have Scola instead of MVP Amare Stoudemire.

2. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i think that morey will offer the same package to the pacers to get danny granger if a deal doesnt happen with denver.

3. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I'm glad you included no "Ish for Chris Paul type trades".

I also get tired of seeing the "Trade for Cousins" type posts. I understand anything is possible, but Sacramento has made it clear he's unavailable. Why waste time playing with scenarios for someone who's pretty clearly not available?

I'm not saying whether or not I'd do the following trade, but each team would get something out of it.

Before I get hit with the "Hell no, we can't give up Scola", remember many of us felt the same way about Landry - and Luis has proven to be arguably better. Will Patterson or even Hill become better than Luis? Not sure offensively, but neither can be worse defensively.

IF the reports are true that Charlotte may be one of the teams interested in Yao's contract and Indiana will listen to proposals regarding Granger, I could possibly see something like this happening - depending on what Bird thinks of A) how close the Pacers are to being competitive in the playoffs and B) how much, if at all, he likes Scola and Gerald Wallace.

Houston sends Yao and Bud to Charlotte.

Charlotte sends G. Wallace to Indiana and Nazr Mohammed to Houston.

Indiana sends Granger and J. Posey to Houston.

Houston gets it's star/potential superstar player, a defensive minded center with an expiring contract and rids Indiana of Posey's contract (which would likely be a trade chip at the deadline next year, if he's not bought out). This SHOULD allow the Rockets to become better defensively fairly quickly. Starting Chuck at PF instead of center, with Patterson and Hill getting plenty of minutes as well.

Charlotte saves a ton of money with Yao's contract/insurance payment, gets rid of Wallace's contract, and gets a young solid replacement for him in Bud.

Indiana gets the power forward they need in Scola and a replacement for Granger (P. George isn't ready to start) whose contract is half as long - and he brings ridiculous defense, which is needed to guard Pierce, LeBron, Joe Johnson, etc. in the East. They rid themselves of Granger and Posey's contracts as well.

If Morey/Adelman isn't sold just yet on Hill or Patterson, they could ask for J. Foster from Indiana instead of Posey and try to pry Tyrus Thomas from Charlotte, if they wanted to shed more salary.

These are two trades that, again, depending on how close Bird feels they are to challenging the top teams and how much he likes Scola and Wallace, I could see happening.

(both trades work according to the trade machine) :)

4. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

OK, young, DECENT replacement in Bud....lol.

Also, I realize it also would depend on how much Charlotte is trying to shed salary and save money, as opposed to getting all they can for Wallace or Jackson.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

why would you want granger ahead of wallace? heh

neither player is a star, but wallace is a better player than granger, heh.

6. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Never said I would want Granger over Wallace - I'd LOVE Wallace on the team.

But, the title of the thread is "BEING DARYL MOREY" and I'm pretty sure he values Granger more than he does Wallace.

I wanted Iguodala. I wanted Gortat. I wanted Varajao. I wanted some DEFENSE. So, of course I would want Wallace.

7. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Something has to happen soon, players are not getting there full minutes, and Rockets players are getting frustrated.

Rick Adelman: Too Many Duplicate Players
    Posted: 1/19/2011 6:08:00 AM
    Source: Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle

With Aaron Brooks returning from an ankle injury and starting point guard Kyle Lowry still playing the starter's minutes, the backups at the shooting guard have had their playing time dramatically reduced.

Brooks played 18 minutes against Milwaukee and 16 against New Orleans. Chase Budinger has played less than 10 minutes in three of the last four games. Courtney Lee played just nine against Milwaukee.

"We have too many people at the same spots," coach Rick Adelman said. "It's hard to get a rotation going. You've got people coming back. You've got to fit them in there. Every game seems to be different.

"If the guy doesn't play, sometimes it rubs him the wrong way. As a team, we haven't been real successful lately. You just try to find combinations. All our people can play, but there are only so many minutes to go around. It's always going to be an issue."

Brooks in particular seemed frustrated after the loss to New Orleans.

"The team does have a lot of talent," Brooks said. "Whoever is in there has to be ready to play. It's a new thing. I come in there, got to provide offense and hopefully be in at the end to finish games. Anything I can do to help the team.

"I've done this before and have been somewhat successful at it."

Time to do a 3 for 1 trade. Get a Superstar in, and give our Rockets players the minutes they need.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah, but it does seem positive that Adelman is communicating properly to the players about the situation. In a sense though, I can see frustration mounting more towards the front office.

I agree that if a trade doesn't happen at the deadline then this team could lose alot of games due to frustrated players off the bench and a lack of continuity.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Communication helps, but it doesn't solve the problem.

DM asked when is having too many good players a problem....NOW !

DD

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Daryl is just gonna keep stockpiling "assets" and never get the superstar. That's why we're below .500. We have no superstar and too many "assets".

12. dobro1229

Its like going to the grocery store because you want to save money by not going out to eat, and you buy a ton a grocerys that end up going bad because you cant eat it all by the time it goes bad.

Stupid analogy but I agree the stockpiling asset thing is probably going to blow up in DM's face because there just hasn't been enough great players available after this last offseason.

Morey could still possibly make a great move here in the next few weeks, but I just dont see anything above a second tier talent/ or a stop-center happening.

Timing is everything when it comes to the NBA and trades.

13. Rockets_4_life

Well their is no superstar to be had, and their won't be...

I think orginally Daryl wasn't thinking of using those assets on a superstar(Ex:Melo, Paul), a franchise player if you will. He was looking to use those assets to get a star player(ex; Iggy, Granger, Wallace) to compliment Yao Ming. But since Yao went out, his gone from trading for a star player to a superstar to replace Yao Ming, and truth be told that is pretty close to impossible, b/c we simply do not have the assets to trade for that type of player...

I mean, we have a much better shot at getting a top 5 pick and developing a superstar player, than actually trading for one. Because their is none to be had that will stay here long term...

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

True, we could use all our assets to move up in the upcoming draft.....

DD

15. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Good analysis. He is also keeping all options open and will not make a critical decision until the timing is right for the team. Many folks here say we need to go this direction or that direction...but DM correctly keeps his options open until the time is right, and lets the best opportunity determine the direction. That's the way to be successful, in basketball, as well as in life.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I dont think much will happen. I could see granger being moved,but Indy has a few good expirings and the young kid hasnt played much. What Morey and the rockets should do vs what they will do are 2 different things.

As I said earlier, 2012 should be the target. Thats the year 3 franchise players have eto's. Williams, CP3,and Howard. The Rockets dot have to tank or salary dump, but they need to rebuild and change componets on their team to make it a desireable place to be successful.

17. dobro1229

I agree that they dont have to tank, but why do teams tank???... to get high draft picks right? I see the Yao Ming contract situation and the overly deep bench as a great way to NOT tank, and do what rebuilding teams do at the same time.

If 2012 is the target date for the next superstar turnover, there could be great opportunities to draft a future star in the meantime given Yao and some of the players on the Rockets bench could be packaged for an upgrade at struggling positions and/or for picks.

18. seeingred

seeingred Member

i know right ? why haven't we traded ish, ppat, jeffries, lee and budinger for a 20-10 center yet ? (heh)

19. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Let's hope he fails to trade for Anthony and suprises us as he did before. My guess nothing big is going down and it's better to wait for the summer to look for a center and new SG / SF.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its been a problem. The entire when posters were talking about the depth, I didnt get it. The bigger problem is not just depth, its versitility. The rockets dont have players who can play effectively on both ends together. If they had the versitile players I'm talking about, then the depth would be a bonus.

Brooks,lowry,Ish are all smallish pg's. Martin,Lee,chase,and williams are all sg's. Battier and to a lesser extent are sf's. Scola,hill,patterson,and hayes are pf's. The only center is miller. Martin and Scola plays 30+ minutes a night. Those are the positions where the rockets have the most players. Brooks played alot last yr, but is not playing alot after the injury. Lowry has played well enough to keep the job.

The rockets in my opinion should be in the test drive business. I like the strategy of getting these lotto picks teams have gave up on and trying to turn them to gold,but if those guys arent playing real,solid,consistent minutes, whats the point. Thats one of the reasons I want them to trade for thabeet. I'm also going back to DD's comfort food thread if they trade for him. If I trade for thabeet, I'm trading Hayes to basically force adelman to play the guy 20+ minutes a night. Adelman wont like it because of his offense, but adelman is a free agent and this is about getting impact players regardless of the fancy offense.

Although I wouldn't trade him for nothing, I would trade scola also. Great guy,hard worker,durable,effecient, but we need to see hill and patterson going forward. Both of those guys are already better defenders and scola is a better offensive player. Hill and patterson have age on they're side.