1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being a Control Freak, JVG Leads Rockets to Nowhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JWhaley, Nov 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

Well, this is really common sense.
    JVG can't coach :rolleyes:

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I can't believe this thread.... :eek:

Everything JVG has been preaching to this team - they flat out failed on the court...

Yao assert yourself as the half court option, stop passing it back out shoot the ball, so what if your % drops to 48%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note to Rafer and friends- feed the post-- we are playing a low post offense, like JVG said- that is our best shot every time in half court!!!!!!!!

TMac- dude if you are going to brick free throws and shoot like **** you better take charge of the team and get the ball into Yao- you have to score 25 pts+ and hit at least 45% or our season will sink down the toilet- step it up or sit down.

NOTE TO FANS- as long as TMac shoots below 40%, Yao gets less that 20 shots and the rest of the scrubs don't play any defense we are going to get killed.

If you want to blame JVG for anything blame him for not chewing them out royally at halftime, because apparently the new 'positive' JVG is not good.

3. tony959

tony959 Member

Where is Larry Brown?

4. JWhaley

JWhaley Contributing Member

Be rational, rhester.
    When you find almost every player failed on the court and you believe this is a talented team, you should admit there gonna be something wrong with the coaching.
    Oh, there are still some players not failed on the court: Wells, Vspan, Howard... but where are they? The coach should give a better explanation

5. Fuse

Fuse Member

Coaching will only affect the tactical decisions, not the effort and intensity of the players. There is only so much a coach can do until the game rest on the shoulder of the players.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This isn't a video game. Effecting the effort and intensity of the players is a HUGE part of coaching, and ALL of the best coaches have this ability.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are some bandwagon fans,but some of us have been watching hoops longer than many here have been alive.

Yes,it's easy to micromanage games early in the year and not keep the bigger picture in mind.I'll tell you though,if this team is healthy and still having problems at year's end JVG needs to go.

He and we deserve to see this group develop chemistry and go for the title.
    In the meantime,we're going to have growing pains.I was pretty pissed off after watching the first game.The coach needs to get these guys ready to play and some of those rotations looked like a mad scientists experiments.

But Van Gundy needs to see how all the moving parts work together.We've got a lot of new players and our two superstars are coming back from serious injuries.

Let's give him time....spark one up and chill out.I am.

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL ... rhester, this gotta be the angriest post I have ever seen from you. :D

9. JWhaley

Sorry, but I think a multi-million-dollor paid coach should do much more than tactics.

10. Fuse

Fuse Member

You're right, I grossly understated the motivational part of a coach's job, and it is not about me fantasizing a video game simulator. However, as much as you would like to say that JVG is a million dollar coach, these are also million dollar athletes, they should be motivated from the get go to become better. The extremity of my statement is in part due to ppl placing so much blame on the coach, which I think has been grossly overstated. The players have to want it, and the coach is there to facilitate that process. If the players don't want it, then there is really not much he can do about it, since they will get paid the inflated contract amounts regardless.

You can't apply double standards to the situation and claim that JVG is soley responsible for the situation, while letting the player escape with the responsibility. If I see players clearly getting frustrated with the tactics after playing with intensity, I can understand the clear disconnection between the coach and the player. What I saw in the Jazz game was a lack of intensity from the get go, and there is absolutely no excuse for that.

Perhaps its just me coming from a tough love background. But if someone, like JVG is there to studying hours and hours of film to get me ready, and they are doing it because they believe in my ability to get there, I think that's more than enough reason for me to play hard.

11. Fuse

Fuse Member

Also, in addition what I stated earlier, great coaches usually have great players that exemplify their values. Yao and t-mac should be the ones leading by example and act as the extension of their coach. They have to want it more. Their effect on the players is much more infectious than a coach's philosophies or yelling and screaming. The Spurs have Duncan, the Mavs have Nowitzki, the Heat have Wade, the Lakers have Kobe etc. etc. The common theme around all those great teams with great coaches is the player that exemplifies their values.

12. JWhaley

Sure, the players on the court should have played better.
    But if no one on the court performed well, and those might performed well were not even on the court, you have to think more about coach instead of each individual player.

13. nahmorlah

nahmorlah Contributing Member

Exaggerating much?

T-Mac: 25 points, 5 rebounds, 9 assists, 3 steals, 1 turnover
    Yao: 22 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks

They did well (except T-Mac's horrible shooting percentage). To be perfectly honest, the culprit seemed to be the lack of bench scoring. If you compare the two teams, the Jazz managed to squeeze out 31 points out of their bench while we only got 11. That makes a big difference. Our two stars can only do so much.

Just pointing out that T-Mac, during his most productive years offensively, shot just barely over 45%.

14. Fuse

Fuse Member

I never said anything about playing well, I'm just talking about playing with intensity. Those are two different things, you can play with intensity, and yet you can still play like crap.

I was merely stating the influence of a coach for motivational factors, not tactical. If none of the players played well, its because they are 1) not use to the system, 2) JVG failed miserably tactically in the game. These two things does not stop them from playing harder, which is all I am pointing to.

The coaches and players take part in the loss, but I do not believe it is a function of the coach failing to motivate his players in this certain situation.

Bad performance and lack of intensity is something that is very lethargic on the court. You need someone with an extreme level of intensity to bring them out of the funk. That is what a star player should be. Momentum swings are crazy in a game, and the star player has to have the intensity to dictate that.

15. JWhaley

Good call, bench scoring, so, where is our depth?
    Why a long-time bench warmer in Padget played over a once-all-star Howard?
    Why the top free agent of the year in Wells couldn't even make the team?
    Why Mr. Hustler and Intensity VSpan sat for the whole game?
    And how about the best 3pt shoot in Novak?
    Who decides which players to play? Please don't tell me it is the players themselves.

16. cesarpr

cesarpr New Member

I ALSO THINK VAN GUNDY IS NOT THE RIGHT COACH FOR THE ROCKETS. HIS OFFENSE IS BORING AND PREDICTABLE. IF WE WANT TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP AND DEVELOP GOOD PLAYERS AT THE SAME TIME, I DON'T THINK VAN GUNDY IS THE MAN. HE DOESN'T OFFER ANY CHEMISTRY IN OFFENSE.
    HE SUCKS

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I watched every minute of the game :mad:

- My thing is TMac and Yao have to carry this team.
    Whoever thinks this is a talented team didn't watch the Spur/Mav game last night. Those two teams have talent. We have TMac and Yao (I'll give Bonzi time, but he is pretty good)

Luther, Rafer, Hayes, Deke, Padgett wouldn't even be in the rotation on Mavs/Spurs

Only Battier could make their rotation and maybe Snyder for a few minutes.

JVG still is banking his season on Yao dominating on the low block and TMac playing up to the caliber of Lebron, Kobe and D Wayde.

Hey the longer I think about it I am going to start feeling sorry for coach.

NOT

If Yao and TMac play up to it... we will be OK

We are still a good point guard, a good rebounder, and some experienced outside shooting away from being a title contender.

But if Yao and Tmac get chemistry and play well we should make the playoffs.

18. nahmorlah

nahmorlah Contributing Member

All-star Howard? Most on this board would have loved for Howard not to play very many minutes last year. Wells is sitting because he wasn't able to play the entire preseason with an injury. JVG is taking no chances with him injuring himself by not being in shape. Mr. Hustler and Intensity VSpan, as many have pointed out, did not play well the last two preseason games. Novak shot 1-3, grabbed one rebound and got one assist while Padgett shot 1-3 but grabbed 6 rebounds. Yes Padgett did play longer, however even if Novak continued how he played, he would have grabbed 2-3 rebounds and had 2-3 assists.

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

jvg is a solid coach. How about pointing the finger at the crappy play of t mac and compaany?> bet we see a whole different attitiude sat. Bonzi will play..it's a long season. chill out.

20. JWhaley

Here comes the different standpoints between us.
    I see this Rockets a contender, though a coach away.
    You see this Rockets a playoff-hopeful team, and several players away from a contender.