1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being a Control Freak, JVG Leads Rockets to Nowhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JWhaley, Nov 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. JWhaley

JWhaley Contributing Member

C'mon, Rudy's team did not have enough talent!
    Actually, Rudy would have led us to the playoff in his last year (the first year Yao played) if without his bad health.

2. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

did you people even watch any games last season? this is not a reaction after one game. this is a reaction born of 2 seasons of jvg's bs. the only reason the 05 team was not hampered was because they had players that would go against jvg like sura and barry and just take the shot. that team had playmakers.

3. JWhaley

ditto.
    Three years, there have been 365*3+1 days, baby!

4. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

one freakin game and already a thread that says JVG sucks well who ever posted this thread sucks! its not like rockets are the only good team that lost the first game and if u wanna play it like this then lets go ahead and say pat riley sucks too cuz his team lost by 30some pts!!

5. slickrick

slickrick Member

maybe they are upset because we wont be 82 - 0 because of this loss

6. JWhaley

Dude, there is a word called history.
    If JVG won us a championship last year, I have no problem of losing the first game of the new season.

You have watched JVG's Rockets for three years, what is your overall opinion?

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

1. playoffs twice in three years.
    2. damn near to the 2nd round in '05.
    3. a team absolutely desimated by injuries last year, but a solid 21-10 when Yao and McGrady both played.
    4. consistently top-ranked defense.
    5. you're out of your element.

do i think JVG is the greatest coach i the world? no. do i think he's a good coach? absolutely. i may not agree with everything he does, but the guy knows his stuff, end of story. he cant put the ball in the basket, he wasn't the one that missed layup after layup or free-throw after free-throw. and you damn well know his defensive strategy wasn't "give them wide open lanes to the hoop and let them lay it up uncontested."

you probably had this thread ready for the first game we lost.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

this thread is ghey...

9. JWhaley

I never said JVG was not a good coach, but he is NOT the good coach for the current Rockets.
    This team is loaded with talent and ego. JVG, being a control freak and an old-school defensive coach, should leave.
    Oh yeah, in order for a possible championship in the near future!

10. fnn2097

fnn2097 Member

Well its only one game into this season. We can expect great things from the rockets cus its only ONE game. I have faith in JVG and i think he has the ability to right the ship and bring us back into the playoffs.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, this is going to be a LOOOOOOooooooooong season. If this is how you react after ONE...yes.....ONE! Game.....psh...

12. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I am not certain whether JVG sucks. One thing for sure though - Clutchcity is full of bandwagon fans. :rolleyes:

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Oh man! Dont need to say the obvious.

The first game is so disappointing not because the Rockets lost. But the Rockets' offense look so disorganised, so out of sync, so monotonic. Look at the Jazz's offense is more organized, more in sync, play like a team. That's the difference of a coaching job.

14. Panda

Panda Member

There is a pattern of JVG's Rockets team which I call the the slow start pattern.

The first slowness: The Rockets have never looked in sync at the start of a season.

The second slowness: The Rockets often start a game slow.

The third slowness: The Rockets plays are quite slow developing.

Basically, there's much startup cost running a JVG team, and much intensity needed later on to play the catch up game.

The team needs time to gel and they will get better on both ends of the floor, but I'm not very content with the slow start pattern.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

^^ That's an interesting observation.

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Maybe there is this slow-start pattern. But what is your explanation for this pattern?

Smart coaches look at their horses (players) and already know how to run them. So, these coaches can put things in place quickly and have a good start.

Dumb coaches searching in the dark with some new playas. Need to try this out, try that out. Oops, it's the middle of the season already when things start working. Lol!

Need time to gel!? There is always a excuse.

17. rocket3forlife2

I agree

18. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

JVG is a great coach just not for this team. He keeps trying to make these players adapt to a system that will not work with his current roster. He has a few players like V-span that do fit his system, but you guessed it he won't play the guy.

Game 1 Rockets had no intensity: his most intense players V-span and Bonzi get no playing time. :confused: I hope the Rockets make some progress because Houston sports fans need something to cheer for and the Texans aren't going to give us anything to be optimistic about. :( :(

19. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I agree with you 110%!!!!!!!!! when someone does bad they bad mouth him and when he does good they're all over him!!! battier and gay trade is a great example!!

#139 Riz, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  20. nahmorlah

nahmorlah Contributing Member

I think we could say the same about last year's Rockets team. Though I don't wish to revisit that particular nightmare, no rational person could have expected any coach to somehow maintain a winning record with the team we were putting out nightly. That we were even able to remain one of the top defensive teams says a lot about the coaching of JVG.